Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2022, 08:56 AM - 3 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery
Is there serious interest for PKTriggercord for the Mac? I might be able to do it

Hi, I'm a Mac software developer, and much better at that than at taking interesting pictures :-D

I had previously looked into making PKTriggercord work on Macs but was lacking the understanding of using the low level comms protocols (SCSI, USB) on a Mac.

Recently, I did contract work that filled that knowledge gap.

Now I could try again to make a Mac version of what PKTriggercord does, but since I have no need for this myself any more, and since programming is my profession, I'd need some external incentive for this. Also, I only have a K-5, K-3 and K-1, and it seems that the K-3 and K-1 doesn't support this method any more, wheras the K-3 II does (which I don't have).

So I could test this with my K-5 but then would need others to support tests on other cameras. And ideally those would be having some technical skills and be telling me more details than just "it doesn't work".

If you're interested and if you'd also be interested if the outcome would not be a free product, please comment here, so that I can get an idea of the interest.

Otherwise, I assume that ppl rather use a Raspi or a Windows VM (which I did back then) on their Mac.

02-01-2022, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As a side note, Ricoh's own C++ SDK does work on Mac as well. It's kind of clunky (and hasn't been updated for the K-3 III) but might be a much easier way to proceed than re-implementing the protocol

Here's an example of what can be done with it:
Introducing Pentax Wi-Fi & USB Tether by PentaxForums.com - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-01-2022, 02:41 PM   #3
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd be interested and I'd also pay a reasonable price.

Currently I use IT2 with my K-1 in the studio. It is quite good but often I miss these three functionalities:
- Turn AF on/off. It always triggers AF when I want to magnify Live View at a different spot to check focus. With AF off, I can't select an area to magnify. Drives me nuts.
- Toggle Pixelshift on/off.
- Automate focus stacking. For example, repeat 5 times: Shutter + move focus forward.

The focus stacking would be a killer feature. During my last shoot I had to click 35 times on "focus forward" between every shot. I was sitting and counting clicks for two days.

But I don't know whether that is possible with the current sdk.
02-09-2022, 03:57 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
Currently I use IT2 with my K-1 in the studio.
Have you tried Adam's solution? (See link in his post above)

However, I believe there's no manual focus control provided by the SDK.

Have you checked whether any other tool can do accomplish that? See here for a list of other apps.

Last edited by tempelorg; 02-09-2022 at 05:40 AM.
02-10-2022, 01:20 PM   #5
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Adams solution looks good but doesn't have features for my use case that are not already in IT2. It can shoot rows of images but not with adjusted focus. (Additionally I don't have java on my Mac.) The app of Xiaoming is for mobile and I use it since it came out. I enjoy it mostly when I'm outdoors for browsing and transferring images to my phone. But also doesn't do the stuff that I mentioned.
02-10-2022, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
I've now spent two days on trying to get the communication working with pktriggercord but had not much success. A had initially assumed that macOS would simply let me pass the SCSI commands from the pktriggercord code to the USB device but it turns out that macOS makes this very difficult. I need to write much more code, and I still have no idea how to do all that. So I might just give up again. I have left some questions for other devs who know may more about this, and if they help me out, I may give it another try.