Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
03-10-2022, 04:07 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Digital Camera Utility - blurred JPGs from PEF files

Just recently I've been playing around with some infra-red filters on a couple of my cameras and have experienced occasional weird results … having saved in JPG+RAW in anticipation of needing to tweak it later, I find when I open the PEF file in DCU the image is very blurred in places, notice especially the foreground in the right-hand image!
The silly thing is that if I open the PEF in-camera and process there, the resultant image is not blurred!
In all circumstances the JPG that was saved at exposure time is not a problem in this respect!
This has now happened with both my K-5 and my KP, so I've effectively eliminated both camera and card, I've also tried one of the problematic files in DCU v5.9.2 64bit in W10 and in DCU v5.9.3 32bit under XP with similar results.
On the left … the original JPG from the K-5, on the right the JPG from the PEF in DCU with no adjustments applied.
I know it's a rubbish picture, just one of a few random snaps taken with an "infra-red" filter to help ascertain what levels of effect can be achieved and what exposures are necessary.
I'll be "playing" further as time and weather permit with different ISO settings and exposure times, but any insights as to what might be going wrong here would be appreciated

The original PEF can be found here, if anyone is interested : https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkzZuPOaEswYgh04nldBRTDaeG4c?e=Ycf9cN

For reference, the EXIF from the original is as follows :-
Filename - K_5_9415.jpg
Make - PENTAX
Model - PENTAX K-5
Orientation - Top left
XResolution - 300
YResolution - 300
ResolutionUnit - Inch
Software - K-5 Ver 1.16
DateTime - 2022:02:25 16:34:30
Artist - Chris Eve
YCbCrPositioning - Co-Sited
Copyright - Chris Eve
ExifOffset - 706
ExposureTime - 1/20 seconds
FNumber - 5.60
ExposureProgram - Not defined
ISOSpeedRatings - 18000
ExifVersion - 0230
DateTimeOriginal - 2022:02:25 16:34:30
DateTimeDigitized - 2022:02:25 16:34:30
ComponentsConfiguration - YCbCr
ExposureBiasValue - 1.00
MeteringMode - Multi-segment
Flash - Flash not fired, compulsory flash mode
FocalLength - 40.00 mm
FlashPixVersion - 0100
ColorSpace - sRGB
ExifImageWidth - 500
ExifImageHeight - 331
InteroperabilityOffset - 54468
SensingMethod - One-chip color area sensor
FileSource - Other
SceneType - Other
CustomRendered - Normal process
ExposureMode - Manual
White Balance - Manual
FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 60 mm
SceneCaptureType - Standard
Contrast - Hard
Saturation - Normal
Sharpness - Hard
SubjectDistanceRange - Distant view
GPS information: -
GPSVersionID - 2.3.0.0
Maker Note (Vendor): -
Mode - Auto
Date - 2022:02:25
Time - 16:34:30
Quality - 5
Focus Mode - Contrast-detect (focus priority)
ISO - 275
White Balance - Manual
Effective LightValue - 2.9
Lens Type - Tamron XR DiII 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 (A14)
Thumbnail: -
Compression - 6 (JPG)
XResolution - 300
YResolution - 300
ResolutionUnit - Inch
JpegIFOffset - 54610
JpegIFByteCount - 7243

Last edited by kypfer; 03-10-2022 at 04:43 AM. Reason: Added link
03-10-2022, 05:54 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just opened your PEF file in Adobe Camera Raw. No blurring.

Must be a DCU thing, or your computer and DCU together are struggling. I don't have DCU to test.
03-10-2022, 06:07 AM - 4 Likes   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I just tried opening it in DCU 5.9.3... I see what you mean

I'm not that familiar with DCU as I don't use it on a regular basis, but a quick play with the controls betrayed the cause... In the Noise Reduction tab, you need to uncheck the "Random noise reduction" check-box.

With "Random noise reduction" checked (by default):

With "Random noise reduction" unchecked:

Hope this helps
03-10-2022, 06:10 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Does this only happen with IR images or all PEF files?
If this happens to all images in DCU you might have selected some weird preset processing, applied when loaded into the program

edit: seems the solution has already been found

03-10-2022, 07:02 AM - 4 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I just tried opening it in DCU 5.9.3... I see what you mean
I'm not that familiar with DCU as I don't use it on a regular basis, but a quick play with the controls betrayed the cause... In the Noise Reduction tab, you need to uncheck the "Random noise reduction" check-box.
With "Random noise reduction" checked (by default):
With "Random noise reduction" unchecked:
Hope this helps
Absolutely excellent
I use DCU quite regularly but had never thought to open the Noise Reduction tab, so hadn't considered there might be a default setting in there that needed to be unset.
I'd even gone to the effort of reverting to DCU v4.40 only to find the issue still existed

Thanks very much … I certainly won't forget this one

pschlute and othar … thanks for your thoughts … it's always good to know people are interested enough to think about a problem
03-10-2022, 07:16 AM - 4 Likes   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Absolutely excellent
I use DCU quite regularly but had never thought to open the Noise Reduction tab, so hadn't considered there might be a default setting in there that needed to be unset.
I'd even gone to the effort of reverting to DCU v4.40 only to find the issue still existed

Thanks very much … I certainly won't forget this one

pschlute and othar … thanks for your thoughts … it's always good to know people are interested enough to think about a problem
You're most welcome

... and I can beat that. I've done complete OS re-installations that weren't necessary because of config things I'd missed on a system Sometimes, a second pair of eyes is all it takes. Glad it's working now
03-10-2022, 09:14 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hope this helps
Dang! I would never have thought to look for such a setting. EXIF shows...

QuoteQuote:
High ISO Noise Reduction : Auto; Active (Medium)
Might that have been the culprit at ISO 18000?

Steve

03-11-2022, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Dang! I would never have thought to look for such a setting. EXIF shows...

Might that have been the culprit at ISO 18000?

Steve

Ah yes … no doubt the high ISO was a contributory factor, but I was simply taking snaps to get some numbers to work back from rather than having to set up the tripod for every shot.
The filter used there was a "no-name" device that I wanted to calibrate for trying out some false-colour shots … turns out it's something like a 680nm which will need slightly different consideration than the 720nm filters that are often used for that type of shot.
Subsequent tests (between the rain showers) suggest the KP will be easier to use than the K-5. Auto-focussing is more reliable with a filter fitted, and if it doesn't want to play, the focus peaking makes life a lot easier
I'm well familiar with using my unmodified *istDL2 with a Lee 87 for pure b&w infra-red, that'll even work with a 950nm filter that I've recently obtained, though yet to put to profitable use, but I've not yet tried for false-colour images, so it's all a bit new to me.
03-11-2022, 03:17 PM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm well familiar with using my unmodified *istDL2 with a Lee 87 for pure b&w infra-red, that'll even work with a 950nm filter that I've recently obtained, though yet to put to profitable use, but I've not yet tried for false-colour images, so it's all a bit new to me.
That's something I must read up on. I also have a *ist DL2 (well, it's a Samsung DX-1L, but essentially the same camera) and would love to have a go at B&W infra-red...
03-11-2022, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ah yes … no doubt the high ISO was a contributory factor
I was thinking High ISO NR set on Auto with "Medium" applied to the image as the cause. Random Noise Reduction will not be applied even at ISO 80,000 if High ISO NR is turned off.

Steve
03-11-2022, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That's something I must read up on. I also have a *ist DL2 (well, it's a Samsung DX-1L, but essentially the same camera) and would love to have a go at B&W infra-red...
The *istDL2 has got Digital Preview, which is the next best thing to LiveView and very handy for working with a visually opaque filter
This page https://www.pentaxuser.com/article/infrared-photography-with-a-pentax-digital-slr---part-1-466 gives a good insight to the subject.