Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2008, 04:50 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does the red-eye reduction is PS suck, or do I?

I find that the PS CS3 red-eye reduction rarely works as I would like it to. I'm no PS expert, so I just pick the tool and select the eye. Often it does nothing at all, sometimes it does a tiny tiny bit of darkening, ofen it just darkens totally the wrong bit of the eye!

Is it me? Is it PS? Is there another "easy" way of doing it in PS?

12-14-2008, 05:21 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

You need to select the entire eye, selecting it as if you were using the marquee tool. Left click a second time to activate the filter.
12-14-2008, 05:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes it sucks... sometimes. Play with is a bit more and you'll find that it can be useful.
I think there needs to be a good amount of contrasting red, but often I find bright red holes left or the eyes turn demonic black with specs reaching into the eye lids. Neither is flattering.

Although you may want to google for other techniques that are less automated but vastly more reliable.

I would start with simply drawing a oval selection around each eye and using the Saturation tool to desaturate the selected area.
This usually gives quite a good start without much more effort than the red-eyes reduction tool.
12-14-2008, 07:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yep, if it's not purely red, it's tough to clean up. I've had a few orange-y, half an aye, off the side because of someone else's flash and it's real dfficult to get rid of.

Oh yeah, and good luck with pet red-eye, or is it green-eye/yellow-eye? lol. PS will not even touch that one so all manual darkening it is.

As amoringello said, play play play and you will work out your system!

Last edited by George Lama; 12-14-2008 at 07:23 PM.
12-15-2008, 05:05 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
You need to select the entire eye, selecting it as if you were using the marquee tool. Left click a second time to activate the filter.
I have been selecting the whole eye (as well as experimenting with part of the eye right up to the whole face!), but I didn't know about the second click thing. Ta.

I've tried the desaturate thing too, then often brushing some black or grey in, but I'm not very good.