Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2022, 08:53 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
NIK 3 vs NIK 4

I hope this has not been posted before – I couldn't find it.

Can anyone explain the improvements I could expect from NIK 4 over NIK 3? In other words, what will my $79 buy me?

I am primarily interested in the noise and sharpening modules and Silver Efex. These are the modules I use most frequently in NIK 3.

I welcome your thoughts and comments.

04-18-2022, 11:40 AM   #2
Pentaxian

My recollection was improved stability and more magic presets. I'm sure there were other under the hood refinements as well aimed at making better use of newer HW & SW. You should be able to go to their release notes and get the info.
04-18-2022, 03:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't remember a big improvement big improvement ever...its been excellent from the beginning.

I use it with Photoshop, which keeps things simpler than using with package solutions or Lightroom.

YMMV... I think many of us enjoy the complexity, but I'm into inkjet printing...imo prints call for for visual subtleties (including printer adjustments) more than "magic" presets.
04-18-2022, 08:06 PM   #4
Pentaxian

They totally borked the last version -- it got worse, unusable in some ways. (Also misleading as they make it sound like a lot more changed than did. We're fairly angry about this "upgrade".) Stick with v3.

04-19-2022, 05:33 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
They totally borked the last version -- it got worse, unusable in some ways. (Also misleading as they make it sound like a lot more changed than did. We're fairly angry about this "upgrade".) Stick with v3.
Really!?! Who is WE?

I've had absolutely no problems with it...
04-19-2022, 07:29 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm still happily using Version 2, with Elements 13. Like Aggie Dad, I'm most interested in noise, sharpening, and Silver Efex. Does version 3 have any significant advantages (that would likely be incorporated into version 4)?
04-19-2022, 08:23 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Robin's launch review likely won't just answer your immediate questions but also a few more. Plus, it features useful timestamps that let you navigate to the sections that you're most interested in.

04-20-2022, 07:40 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the comments and thoughts.

@Madaboutpix – Thanks for the video. I think it answered my question. To me he seemed to be trying to find things to talk about, making some small changes seem more significant than they are. I may be wrong, but...

Anyway, I think I have my answer and will keep my $79 in my pocket.