Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2022, 02:56 AM   #1
Forum Member
Flapentax's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Ancona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 56
Digital Camera Utility software update 5.9.2

Hi everyone.
Last night I updated the "Digital Camera Utility 5" software on my Windows notebook. I have a problem and I ask you if the same thing has happened to you too. The update was successful but the program slowed down significantly. I can't edit my photos except by restarting the program several times. Then the "rotate and move" window is not there even if I display it with the active check mark. I'm so sorry. When I read the news of the new update I was happy and hoped it would be better. I hope they find a solution as soon as possible. Thanks for your attention.
Flavio.

04-25-2022, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #2
Moderator
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 9,223
DCU isn't the speediest software to begin with.

I seem to recall complaints of newer versions being slower or even freezing up.

From what version did you update from? How old is you laptop?

Usually the larger the "age" gap ("generation gap"?) between hardware and software the slower the software runs. This is due to in part to "software bloat" and newer version written to take advantage of newer hardware and OS.
04-25-2022, 10:39 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Jersey C.I.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,977
The thread title is " … software update 5.9.2 " but the current update is 5.9.4. Was that a typo or am I misreading something?
I use DCU as my default "post" processor and haven't noticed any performance difference in recent releases.
I'm running W10 64bit with 8Gb RAM on a 5 year old PC and DCU is quite useable … it does struggle and splutter a bit on older 32bit machines with only 4Gb RAM.
04-26-2022, 04:14 AM   #4
Forum Member
Flapentax's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Ancona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 56
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
The thread title is " … software update 5.9.2 " but the current update is 5.9.4. Was that a typo or am I misreading something?
I use DCU as my default "post" processor and haven't noticed any performance difference in recent releases.
I'm running W10 64bit with 8Gb RAM on a 5 year old PC and DCU is quite useable … it does struggle and splutter a bit on older 32bit machines with only 4Gb RAM.
Yes it was a mistake. I wrote 2 instead of 4. My pc is 2 years old: Windows 10, RAM 4 GB, 64 bit

---------- Post added 04-26-22 at 04:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
DCU isn't the speediest software to begin with.

I seem to recall complaints of newer versions being slower or even freezing up.

From what version did you update from? How old is you laptop?

Usually the larger the "age" gap ("generation gap"?) between hardware and software the slower the software runs. This is due to in part to "software bloat" and newer version written to take advantage of newer hardware and OS.
My pc is 2 years old: Windows 10, RAM 4 GB, 64 bit I have updated it from 5.2.0 and I've been using it for 6 years

04-26-2022, 06:03 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Jersey C.I.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,977
QuoteOriginally posted by Flapentax Quote
Yes it was a mistake. I wrote 2 instead of 4. My pc is 2 years old: Windows 10, RAM 4 GB, 64 bit
If at all possible, physically as well as financially, an upgrade to (at least) 8GB RAM will make a big difference!
04-26-2022, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #6
Moderator
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 9,223
Upping the RAM to 8Gb will make a difference. Also check to see if the existing memory is only one stick of 4Gb or two sticks of 2Gb each. If it is only one stick than it is not taking advantage of dual channels and runs slower than two sticks.
04-29-2022, 09:51 AM   #7
Forum Member
Flapentax's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Ancona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 56
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
If at all possible, physically as well as financially, an upgrade to (at least) 8GB RAM will make a big difference!
Thank you

---------- Post added 04-29-22 at 09:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Upping the RAM to 8Gb will make a difference. Also check to see if the existing memory is only one stick of 4Gb or two sticks of 2Gb each. If it is only one stick than it is not taking advantage of dual channels and runs slower than two sticks.
Thank you

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bit, camera, camera utility software, dcu, gb, hardware, pc, pentax news, pentax rumors, photography, photoshop, program, ram, software, sticks, thread title, update, utility, version, windows
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Digital Camera Utility update v5.9.2 available Not a Number Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 18 05-12-2021 04:56 PM
Ricoh Digital Camera Utility 5 software issue Itbejames Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 13 05-01-2020 09:48 AM
Necessity of PENTAX Digital Camera Utility Software? BlueClearSky Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 14 09-07-2018 05:24 AM
Pentax Digital Camera utility 4 software update bobmaxja Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 6 12-06-2011 06:53 AM
The software that came with my k-x :"Digital Camera Utility 4". What is it? Esp1Holm Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 19 05-07-2010 06:24 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:22 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top