Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
04-25-2022, 02:56 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Digital Camera Utility software update 5.9.2

Hi everyone.
Last night I updated the "Digital Camera Utility 5" software on my Windows notebook. I have a problem and I ask you if the same thing has happened to you too. The update was successful but the program slowed down significantly. I can't edit my photos except by restarting the program several times. Then the "rotate and move" window is not there even if I display it with the active check mark. I'm so sorry. When I read the news of the new update I was happy and hoped it would be better. I hope they find a solution as soon as possible. Thanks for your attention.
Flavio.

04-25-2022, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #2

DCU isn't the speediest software to begin with.

I seem to recall complaints of newer versions being slower or even freezing up.

From what version did you update from? How old is you laptop?

Usually the larger the "age" gap ("generation gap"?) between hardware and software the slower the software runs. This is due to in part to "software bloat" and newer version written to take advantage of newer hardware and OS.
04-25-2022, 10:39 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

The thread title is " … software update 5.9.2 " but the current update is 5.9.4. Was that a typo or am I misreading something?
I use DCU as my default "post" processor and haven't noticed any performance difference in recent releases.
I'm running W10 64bit with 8Gb RAM on a 5 year old PC and DCU is quite useable … it does struggle and splutter a bit on older 32bit machines with only 4Gb RAM.
04-26-2022, 04:14 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
The thread title is " … software update 5.9.2 " but the current update is 5.9.4. Was that a typo or am I misreading something?
I use DCU as my default "post" processor and haven't noticed any performance difference in recent releases.
I'm running W10 64bit with 8Gb RAM on a 5 year old PC and DCU is quite useable … it does struggle and splutter a bit on older 32bit machines with only 4Gb RAM.
Yes it was a mistake. I wrote 2 instead of 4. My pc is 2 years old: Windows 10, RAM 4 GB, 64 bit

---------- Post added 04-26-22 at 04:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
DCU isn't the speediest software to begin with.

I seem to recall complaints of newer versions being slower or even freezing up.

From what version did you update from? How old is you laptop?

Usually the larger the "age" gap ("generation gap"?) between hardware and software the slower the software runs. This is due to in part to "software bloat" and newer version written to take advantage of newer hardware and OS.
My pc is 2 years old: Windows 10, RAM 4 GB, 64 bit I have updated it from 5.2.0 and I've been using it for 6 years

04-26-2022, 06:03 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Flapentax Quote
Yes it was a mistake. I wrote 2 instead of 4. My pc is 2 years old: Windows 10, RAM 4 GB, 64 bit
If at all possible, physically as well as financially, an upgrade to (at least) 8GB RAM will make a big difference!
04-26-2022, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #6

Upping the RAM to 8Gb will make a difference. Also check to see if the existing memory is only one stick of 4Gb or two sticks of 2Gb each. If it is only one stick than it is not taking advantage of dual channels and runs slower than two sticks.
04-29-2022, 09:51 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
If at all possible, physically as well as financially, an upgrade to (at least) 8GB RAM will make a big difference!
Thank you

---------- Post added 04-29-22 at 09:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Upping the RAM to 8Gb will make a difference. Also check to see if the existing memory is only one stick of 4Gb or two sticks of 2Gb each. If it is only one stick than it is not taking advantage of dual channels and runs slower than two sticks.
Thank you

12-24-2022, 08:22 AM   #8

Does somebody have still the Digital Camera Utility 5.9.2 version?
I updated today to the 5.9.5 version and the photos looks lack of noise reduction I don't know why. It seems cannot recognize the settings taken with the K-70 or what can be the problem? Thank you.

Last edited by Carlos33; 12-26-2022 at 01:59 PM.