Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
05-01-2022, 07:39 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lightroom update

If I update from my current version of Lightroom 4.4 to the latest subscription version will I have to update my pre-sets, libraries, etc or will these be automatically transferred into the settings on the update?

05-01-2022, 08:17 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
When I started with LR I was able to import tags and Collections associated with my photos from Adobe Photoshop Elements. So it should be easy for you. Settings may be quite different.
05-01-2022, 08:29 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
When I started with LR I was able to import tags and Collections associated with my photos from Adobe Photoshop Elements. So it should be easy for you. Settings may be quite different.
Thanks for your answer but why don't you just say you're not sure
05-01-2022, 09:01 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimD Quote
He gave you his honest input - the chance of anyone having your exact situation and being able to answer is low but his answer should give you some insight.

For the record, “I don’t know” is my answer. Not surprising… since I don’t use that software.

05-01-2022, 09:13 AM   #5
Pentaxian

If I update from my current version of Lightroom 4.4 to the latest subscription version will I have to update my pre-sets, libraries, etc or will these be automatically transferred into the settings on the update?

If and when in doubt, backup first.
05-01-2022, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Solved: Lightroom 4.4 update to CC - Adobe Support Community - 8772397

"Your existing presets, templates, etc should not be deleted when you upgrade. However, it's still advisable to make a backup copy of the Lightroom presets and templates folders.

1. Open Lightroom Preferences (Lightroom menu on Mac OS and Edit menu on Windows)

2. Click on the Presets tab to open

3. In presets tab click on 'Show Lightroom Presets folder'

4. Step 3 will open a Finder or Explorer window in which you should find a folder named Lightroom

5. You should back up the entire folder thus saving all user applied presets, metadata presets, templates, etc"

Last edited by gatorguy; 05-02-2022 at 05:03 AM.
05-01-2022, 11:05 AM - 5 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

What a gracious response - it is always a pleasure to assist people who appreciate it.

05-01-2022, 11:11 AM - 4 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
What a gracious response - it is always a pleasure to assist people who appreciate it.
No good deed goes unpunished.
05-01-2022, 11:21 AM - 2 Likes   #9

I'm not sure.
05-01-2022, 02:23 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

I was sure a minute ago, or I thought I was sure but now that I think about it I'm not so sure I'm sure anymore.
05-01-2022, 02:26 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
!!!
05-01-2022, 03:31 PM - 6 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am trying to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you were not deliberately being rude, and so I will expand on what I meant, which I did think was obvious......

When I updated to LR, I did so from Adobe Photoshop Elements. This is a much older program than LR. It is logical then to assume that updating from LR 4.4 should be at least as easy, and probably easier, as far as things like Collections and tags are concerned. Are you following me so far ?

Secondly, LR has changed a lot since I started using it, and I am referring to the newer version LR Classic. The develop module has changed significantly, so it is likely some or even many of your settings will need to be re-set from scratch.

Either way, good luck with it. You won't get any further help from me.
05-01-2022, 07:05 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't say for sure if they'll automatically come across, but it's possible to import Presets, Catalogues, Profiles and Plug-ins.
So, provided you do a backup before you update, it should be possible to bring everything across to the latest version.
05-02-2022, 05:13 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

May be install the new LR as a trial and try for yourself? After backing up everything of course. By the way, the difference in current LR and LR4 developing is hugely better, so you may find that your old presets aren’t as useful.
05-03-2022, 06:45 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all for your time