Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2022, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #1

Affinity Photo - Half Price

Affinity Photo is 50% off right now. Don't think you can go wrong for $26.99. Visit the Serif website -- Affinity ? Professional Creative Software

Add-0ns also at 50% off.

05-16-2022, 01:18 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Man, I'm tempted at that price. I'm a fairly committed RawTherapee (and, to a lesser extent, Darktable) user, as I like having Windows / Linux cross-platform tools - but I just downloaded the trial of Affinity Photo and it's pretty sweet. The noise reduction and sharpening are better than I expected, and - unlike some much more expensive options - it handles the raw files from my Hasselblad HV beautifully. About the only negative for me is the apparently-spotty list of lens profiles for Pentax lenses... I see some in there, but not all those I own and would expect. Still... I could create profiles of my own with Hugin...

I'll sleep on it, but for the small price I think I may add it to my arsenal. Never harms to have another option, especially one that seems this good...
05-16-2022, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Man, I'm tempted at that price. I'm a fairly committed RawTherapee (and, to a lesser extent, Darktable) user, as I like having Windows / Linux cross-platform tools - but I just downloaded the trial of Affinity Photo and it's pretty sweet. The noise reduction and sharpening are better than I expected, and - unlike some much more expensive options - it handles the raw files from my Hasselblad HV beautifully. About the only negative for me is the apparently-spotty list of lens profiles for Pentax lenses... I see some in there, but not all those I own and would expect. Still... I could create profiles of my own with Hugin...

I'll sleep on it, but for the small price I think I may add it to my arsenal. Never harms to have another option, especially one that seems this good...
I'm a Darktable user as well, I use Affinity occasionally as well on special projects. For instance, combining photos, masking, removing sensor spots, the Christmas card...
The inpainting brush is the best!

Another great thing, when you buy it, all the updates are free!
05-16-2022, 07:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I bought Affinity Photo and Affinity Publisher a couple of years ago and really liked them--until the computer they were on died. I need to figure out how to transfer the license to my new computer.

05-16-2022, 08:13 PM - 1 Like   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
I bought Affinity Photo and Affinity Publisher a couple of years ago and really liked them--until the computer they were on died. I need to figure out how to transfer the license to my new computer.
You should be able to vist their site and login to your account and download/authorize a fresh copy to a new computer. The lic covers multiple computers.
05-17-2022, 02:07 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got my copy. Thanks for posting!
05-17-2022, 03:51 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought it this morning. You really can't lose at that price. Like all the other tools I use - RawTherapee, Darktable, Lightroom 6, Pentax DCU, Sony Image Data Converter, GIMP, Topaz AI - it's not perfect at everything and not always the best solution for every single image... but my early experiments confirm it's a very capable piece of software, and a great app for the toolbox...

05-17-2022, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

About the only negative for me is the apparently-spotty list of lens profiles for Pentax lenses... I see some in there, but not all those I own and would expect.
Make sure you scroll down the entire list of lens profiles. The Pentax lenses aren't all grouped together because Pentax uses different naming conventions like HD Pentax, SMC Pentax, etc. You might find there is a more complete list than you first thought.
05-17-2022, 07:15 AM   #9
Forum Member

I think it's the best thing going for editing JPEG's, all things considered (e.g., no subscription). However, I think RawTherapee does a much better job editing raw data. I also bought "designer" because it's handy for doing layout for printing, and knows how to talk to the printer really well.

I've had 'em for a few years, now, and I find the free update policy has been like a second discount on the price. No paying for "upgrades".
05-17-2022, 02:43 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cdw2000 Quote
Make sure you scroll down the entire list of lens profiles. The Pentax lenses aren't all grouped together because Pentax uses different naming conventions like HD Pentax, SMC Pentax, etc. You might find there is a more complete list than you first thought.
Thanks for that. Indeed, I'd already looked for the HD prefixed items, but not SMC... I'll take another look and see what's there
05-18-2022, 04:13 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ive tried Affinity before but I was looking for a Lightroom alternative and didn't really view it in the light of a Photoshop alternative. So after watching a few video tutorials again, I've realized it does everything plus more that I use Photoshop and Hugin and a few other things in a more up to date modern package. So I've bought it. Still need to find a Lightroom alternative or finally bite the bullet and upgrade it.
05-18-2022, 02:59 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Though am I firmly in the LR/PS camp, in spite of my distaste for subscriptions, I have been eyeing Affinity.

It already seemed to be a program to check out at the normal retail price. 50% off makes it a no brainer.

Now, just to actually use it instead of PS.
05-30-2022, 07:45 AM   #13

Original Poster
Today, May 31st is the last day for the Affinity half-price sale.