Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
06-06-2022, 02:37 PM - 2 Likes   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by shedendman Quote
Stopped using M$windows long time back,as i'm new,what does one recommend for post using linux,GIMP is far to complicated at the moment,anything else out there?
Thanks
I have been using Linux for as long back as I care to remember (yes, I still used Cinepaint instead of Gimp for 16-bit edits), just shy of 20 years now. Just check your distros repos for everything to do with image editing and use whatever works for you. With Linux after all it is never either/or: you use everything you can get your hands on for whatever purpose it happens to be best at. Just don't lured into the "it works differently than Windows" trap and start looking for 1-on-1 replacement tools - that will be a dead end.

If you want simple image editing combined with image management and cataloging, look no further than Digikam. It is a DAM tool but its associated image editor Showfoto is very powerful and does batch management as well.

Deal much with raw files from your camera? Nothing beats Darktable (or the now emerging fork of R&Darktable) except for when you want to convert pixelshift images in which case Rawtherapee (or its fork ART) will be your best friend. Arguably Darktable and Rawtherapee are both extremely competent raw conversion packages which tend to complement- rather than compete. UI can be slightly different which might sway your preference.

For bitmap edits, scripting, the awesome GMIC plugin and more, look no further than Gimp. It may seem overwhelming at first but tutorials are plenty and easy to come by. Good image editors are always complex software packages, on any OS. Krita comes in a decent second (as it also has GMIC nowadays) but I've just never taken to it very well.

For simpler image editing, try Photoflare or even Pinta (Paint euivalent), Fotoxx and loads more.

I've just scratched the surface, go wild and try some stuff until you hit paydirt.

06-06-2022, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think this was mentioned yet, but if you want more info on darktable I'd recommend Boris' "Editing moments with darktable" playlist on Youtube.
10-01-2022, 01:59 AM   #33
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
As i started this thred its only right i should add to it more
So,as some have said gimp was way to complicated for my think head along with darktable and alike,raw files still baffle me,so i eft rawtherapee out.
I wanted to keep things very basic,i didnt really want to spend ages messing about with my photos,to me,it doesn't seem real enough,it is what you see kind of attitude(of course no offence to those that like to edit )
So,i came across something quite simple(for me that is,lol)
https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Shotwell
Has very basic controls that i can get on with

---------- Post added 10-01-22 at 02:05 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Linux will never be as simple as Windows or MacOS; needing a system manager is in its DNA.

I actually was a ‘system manager’ of a ‘HP-UX’ {HP version of UNIX} system at one time.
I have Ubuntu’ {one of the flavors of Linux} now - but I have ‘adventures’.
For example, most versions of Linux include ‘hplip’, a program provided by HP,
to make their printers available to the system, but when we purchased a new HP printer a few weeks ago,
I had to relearn how to make it available to our Linux system.
I bought a HP printer and loaded that hplip,what an absolute nitemare,it seem to block me from using other programs on linux (mint)plus i could find a way on linux to stop the dreaded NOT USING HP INKS WARNING,there was no work around HP win files to work with linux(hope you understand what i mean here?),it was another job trying to remove hplip from the system
In the end sold that printer and bought a canon,so far so good no probs

---------- Post added 10-01-22 at 02:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Linux will never be as simple as Windows or MacOS; needing a system manager is in its DNA.

I actually was a ‘system manager’ of a ‘HP-UX’ {HP version of UNIX} system at one time.
I have Ubuntu’ {one of the flavors of Linux} now - but I have ‘adventures’.
For example, most versions of Linux include ‘hplip’, a program provided by HP,
to make their printers available to the system, but when we purchased a new HP printer a few weeks ago,
I had to relearn how to make it available to our Linux system.
I bought a HP printer and loaded that hplip,what an absolute nitemare,it seem to block me from using other programs on linux (mint)plus i could find a way on linux to stop the dreaded NOT USING HP INKS WARNING,there was no work around HP win files to work with linux(hope you understand what i mean here?),it was another job trying to remove hplip from the system
In the end sold that printer and bought a canon,so far so good no probs
10-01-2022, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by shedendman Quote
As i started this thred its only right i should add to it more
So,as some have said gimp was way to complicated for my think head along with darktable and alike,raw files still baffle me,so i eft rawtherapee out.
I wanted to keep things very basic,i didnt really want to spend ages messing about with my photos,to me,it doesn't seem real enough,it is what you see kind of attitude(of course no offence to those that like to edit )
So,i came across something quite simple(for me that is,lol)
https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Shotwell
Has very basic controls that i can get on with[COLOR="Silver"]
Basically the Gnome counterpart of KDE's Digikam (which I recommended earlier in this thread). Digikam is just as simple but IMHO more functional. Both are pretty decent for what you require so I'd say, go for it!