Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
06-14-2022, 09:32 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Found a DxO PL bug! (No free T-shirt though)

Passing stuff through DxO PL 5.2.3.66 (latest) Mac OS caused this:

RAW file taken at (example) EXIF says:
DateTimeOriginal : 2022:06:04 16:42:01
CreateDate : 2022:06:04 16:42:01

When exported as DNG or sent to DCU, this happens:

DateTimeOriginal : 2022:06:04 21:42:01

DxO is adding 5 hours to the export.
Opened case, sent to DxO.

They responded:

"We have heard back from our development team. They thank you for the file you sent to us, and they can confirm that this issue is due to an incorrect timezone of +00:00 being incorrectly added to exported files. This issue has been fixed recently and will be available in the upcoming PL 5.3 release."

I am not aware if this happens with Windows version, Windows users should check.

I had to fix dates with exiftool "-DateTimeOriginal<CreateDate"

06-14-2022, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I only export jpg from DXO and I haven’t been looking for this but I will in the future. Thanks. I use windows so when I have time I can check the jpg export.
06-14-2022, 09:57 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I only export jpg from DXO and I haven’t been looking for this but I will in the future. Thanks. I use windows so when I have time I can check the jpg export.
Just checked and JPG does the same. I asked them about DNG since that is what I was using

DateTimeOriginal : 2022:06:08 15:15:08
CreateDate : 2022:06:08 10:15:08
OffsetTime : -05:00
OffsetTimeOriginal : -00:00
06-14-2022, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting. Is it every export or just those to DCU? Or do you export to a file system? Do you ever export directly to Flickr?

06-14-2022, 10:41 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Interesting. Is it every export or just those to DCU? Or do you export to a file system? Do you ever export directly to Flickr?
It is every export from DxO to [whatever else, but I did not test TIFF]. Normally I just export the DNG with all corrections either as a file to the file system or directly into DCU. They needed the original SD card file plus the sidecar (.dop file) to rule out any DCU silliness. I happened to have an exported .jpg from my test and exiftool confirmed the +5 hour thing.

I'm used to using exiftool to get lenses into a place where Flickr can see them, so it was not a hardship to change the dates, but since I am in IT I tend to want to know WHY things happen and not just kludge a fix.
06-14-2022, 10:57 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
Sounds like a bug of some kind, but ...

What time (zone) do you have your computer set for? I have sometimes seen dates on photo files with 3 hour offsets from what they should be, which I have ascribed to (perhaps) an EDT versus MST difference (not sure why!). This makes various file comparison programs useless, it they want include the time in their comparions.
06-14-2022, 11:48 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
Sounds like a bug of some kind, but ...

What time (zone) do you have your computer set for? I have sometimes seen dates on photo files with 3 hour offsets from what they should be, which I have ascribed to (perhaps) an EDT versus MST difference (not sure why!). This makes various file comparison programs useless, it they want include the time in their comparions.
Time zone was fine. DxO verifies this is their bug.

06-14-2022, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No EXIF irregularities found in my recent exports from Pentax DNG to full-size JPEG in Central European Summer Time. I'm running PL5 Elite v5.2.1 on a Windows 10 machine. If there was a problem, image info should be wrong on SmugMug as well, but all displays correctly. Interesting though that there seems to be a bug in the Mac version.
06-14-2022, 02:05 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
No EXIF irregularities found in my recent exports from Pentax DNG to full-size JPEG in Central European Summer Time. I'm running PL5 Elite v5.2.1 on a Windows 10 machine. If there was a problem, image info should be wrong on SmugMug as well, but all displays correctly. Interesting though that there seems to be a bug in the Mac version.

Ok, good to know, thanks for checking.
06-14-2022, 04:11 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Passing stuff through DxO PL 5.2.3.66 (latest) Mac OS caused this:

RAW file taken at (example) EXIF says:
DateTimeOriginal : 2022:06:04 16:42:01

When exported as DNG or sent to DCU, this happens:

DateTimeOriginal : 2022:06:04 21:42:01

They responded:

"We have heard back from our development team. They thank you for the file you sent to us, and they can confirm that this issue is due to an incorrect timezone of +00:00 being incorrectly added to exported files. This issue has been fixed recently and will be available in the upcoming PL 5.3 release."

I am not aware if this happens with Windows version, Windows users should check.

I had to fix dates with exiftool "-DateTimeOriginal<CreateDate"
Just curious, why are you exporting any DNG file from PhotoLab 5 Elite to any other editing program, especially DCU? You should be able to do 95 or more percent of your edits in PhotoLab 5 Elite. Oh and BTW, my EXIF data is correct. I use Windows 10.
06-14-2022, 05:17 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Just curious, why are you exporting any DNG file from PhotoLab 5 Elite to any other editing program, especially DCU? You should be able to do 95 or more percent of your edits in PhotoLab 5 Elite. Oh and BTW, my EXIF data is correct. I use Windows 10.
1 - was using DCU before I bought DxO so I am used to it, and I have low expectations.
2 - I like Satobi.
3 - Yes, the bug appears to only be for MacOS
06-15-2022, 08:03 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1 - was using DCU before I bought DxO so I am used to it, and I have low expectations.
2 - I like Satobi.
3 - Yes, the bug appears to only be for MacOS
Since you like SATOBI I just posted a comparison of my PhotoLab version of SATOBI and the DCU Custom image SATOBI. I can supply the PL Preset if anyone cares to use it just let me know.
06-16-2022, 05:27 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Since you like SATOBI I just posted a comparison of my PhotoLab version of SATOBI and the DCU Custom image SATOBI. I can supply the PL Preset if anyone cares to use it just let me know.
Yes please. Maybe an article showing how to create one and save it would also be good?
06-16-2022, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes please. Maybe an article showing how to create one and save it would also be good?
I'll have to give the article some thought but the best way is to load the preset on a DNG file and check the settings that show in the develop module palettes. Once the preset is imported into PL all that need to be done is click on the "Apply Preset button at the top right of the PhotoLab screen and scroll down to select the preset.