Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-31-2022, 05:23 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lightroom DNG Files

I am wondering if anyone else is having this issue. It seems all my files from both my K-1 and K-3iii seem to be not in focus, fuzzy or lots of noise (low ISOs). I shoot RAW DNG and have noticed this in the last 4-5 months. I also shoot with a Lumix S1 and don't seem to have this issue. Maybe its me, but I never had this issue. The images on the camera LCD look sharp.

07-31-2022, 05:37 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What version of Lightroom are you using, on PC or Mac?
07-31-2022, 05:39 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’ve only had the issue when I’ve missed focus, or the noise in very low light situations. Perhaps post a few with the EXIF to show the results, or point us to Flickr or wherever some may be posted. Is this with all lenses? Do you shoot different focal lengths with the Lumix, or similar? More info is needed to diagnose what the problems may be.
07-31-2022, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
How old is your PC? In my experience with a 12 year old PC Lightroom can be slow to fully resolve such large images on older hardware.

07-31-2022, 06:47 AM   #5
Forum Member

This is very strange. Lightroom should not have any problems handling DNG files from these cameras. I use it myself for DNG files from a K-1 and have not experienced anything like this. You might try to let it work with a few jpg files from the cameras as well to see if the problem could be with the cameras themselves, although that seems highly unlikely given that two different cameras are being used. You could also try reinstalling Lightroom or processing a few files in the online version of Lightroom.
07-31-2022, 09:17 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I had a similar weird issue a couple of months ago using DCU, as did another forum member using different software.
In both instances it turned out the software was "automagically" applying excessive noise reduction.
No idea why … just "one of those things" … but I've needed to turn noise reduction off (or lower it) a couple of times since!
Worth a check

Might just be worthwhile doing a quick check by developing the RAW in-camera (or even try DCU) and see what the JPG looks like from there.

Last edited by kypfer; 07-31-2022 at 09:21 AM. Reason: afterthought
07-31-2022, 10:54 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
With my old LR version I sometimes get a unsharp preview image until the picture (and its settings) is fully loaded (sometimes I have to use the magnification option to jumpstart the preview).

Another possibility could be some weird processing setting applied by default when importing the image to LR / you also have to consider, that your camera preview of the image does already show a processed image (like when you save the image as jpg in camera) and the processing settings of your camera probably differ from the settings in LR

Last edited by othar; 07-31-2022 at 02:14 PM.
07-31-2022, 11:36 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all for the great tips and insight. I think I figured out part of the issue. I use Lightroom Classic to my editing. I imported my photos into regular Lightroom I took this morning and they look normal...very sharp. I have the creative suite so all the versions I have are up to date. Not sure what would cause LR Classic to do that. I guess I will have to used to the new interface!
07-31-2022, 04:19 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EricBrown Quote
Thank you all for the great tips and insight. I think I figured out part of the issue. I use Lightroom Classic to my editing. I imported my photos into regular Lightroom I took this morning and they look normal...very sharp. I have the creative suite so all the versions I have are up to date. Not sure what would cause LR Classic to do that. I guess I will have to used to the new interface!
It has to be a setting somewhere, I use LR Classic as well with no problems, the different versions are using the same "guts" with different GUIs. I prefer Classic because it lets me name files on import and I like the interface much better, but I can come to the same results with either quite easily with my own presets.
07-31-2022, 10:02 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

did you try other software? How does the preview in your Operating system (windows, Mac, PC) look like?
08-02-2022, 10:47 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you again everyone. Things on LR Classic seem to normal again. I did "quit" lightroom instead of just closing it seemed to do the trick. Not sure what it did since I'm up to date on the version. Oh well...