Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2022, 01:04 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have all my photos sorted by categories/sub-category/date e.g. (family vacations/Cancun2021/2021-03-17) in LRC, all in a 5tb external HDD, which is cloud backed up, and also is manually backed up in another 2 HDDs... Already lost a lot of family photos long time ago, so I learned my lesson.

Avoided Nas/raid configuration for ease of use for the ones that left if I'm not around anymore.

08-09-2022, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My file structure is similar to those stated as year-location-camera-date. There are many ways to cut it of course.
I find that having this folder set up and naming convention very intuitive:

I got the folder structure from this guy, it's very useful.
Attached Images

08-10-2022, 07:37 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a 2TB NAS drive with folders organized by subject and dates. I created a batch file that runs a Windows Robocopy command to mirror the drive to a computer attached USB drive. The batch file is run every Friday evening using the Windows Task Scheduler.
08-10-2022, 09:42 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK, so I have a workflow for consolidating my 10+ USB drives plus piles SD cards with images going back 10 years.

Plan is to copy all files to one spot (whether NAS or huge USB irrelevant here) and rename them to camera model-creation date. They can all go in one folder per source. Duplicates will get a -n appendation.

I got this to work for one test folder I tried:

exiftool -o /path to final folder/ '-filename<${model;} ${datetimeoriginal}' -d "%y%m%d.%H%M%S%%-c.%%e" -r .

So I can do the following:

On final large drive that will be home to curated images

1 - make new folder with descriptive name of source (USB 1, etc.)
2 - attach one of the many USB drives I have with images on them
3 - in terminal, traverse to that folder
4 - run the command above

repeat as needed with new destination ( -o) folder names (USB 1 , USB 2, SD Card 1. etc.)

Then - let Lightroom deal with the imports. I saw this morning that it will not import duplicates.

#5 Could be I have lightroom *move* all into one master folder. I really don't care if I have 40000 images in one folder, I also don't think in terms of dates so having subfolders by year/month/day is not how my brain works. LRC can make collections based on EXIF which is all I really want.

08-10-2022, 12:11 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
I saw this morning that it will not import duplicates.
No this is wrong.

Every year I create a new year folder from a blank folder structure of about 50 main folders. Every folder and sub folder in the structure has the same small photo in it, and when imported I delete them on mass.

This way I get the folder structure into LR without having to create it (again). I need to have an image in the folders for LR to import because it won't recognize an empty folder.
08-10-2022, 01:09 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
No this is wrong.

Every year I create a new year folder from a blank folder structure of about 50 main folders. Every folder and sub folder in the structure has the same small photo in it, and when imported I delete them on mass.

This way I get the folder structure into LR without having to create it (again). I need to have an image in the folders for LR to import because it won't recognize an empty folder.

Well, OK. I tried one folder that I had a duplicate of itself in there, each had 60 photos. LRC imported 60, not 120.
08-11-2022, 04:50 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, OK. I tried one folder that I had a duplicate of itself in there, each had 60 photos. LRC imported 60, not 120.
In my structure I have only one image in each sub folder. Typically 6 sub folders x 50 folder so 300 images with the same name, but in individual folders, so that's what I meant by duplicates. It sounds like you have a different set up?

08-11-2022, 05:15 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Prints. If I want photo to survive long I print it in high quality and as high standard as humanly possible (museum-grade papers and stuff). Otherwise I do not care that much. I have just one HDD as backup and that is it. I do not believe in longevity of digital storage, stuff happens too often, people in future may not care about old digital data that may be an issue to open (not to mention RAWs needing processing).

My great grandfather photos survived two world wars. I kinda doubt digital media will be able to do the same.
08-11-2022, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
In my structure I have only one image in each sub folder. Typically 6 sub folders x 50 folder so 300 images with the same name, but in individual folders, so that's what I meant by duplicates. It sounds like you have a different set up?
Yes,different. All will be combined in one spot, duplicates will have an -n extension, Lightroom will copy only one copy to final destination, and the rest I can cull.
08-11-2022, 06:42 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
My great grandfather photos survived two world wars. I kinda doubt digital media will be able to do the same.
Interesting process. The JPEG file format is now going on 30 years so I have no doubt it will be around for some time. There must be hundreds of billions if not trillions of JPG images in the world so software designed to work with that format should also survive for some time I would think. If not, it's pretty easy to batch convert to another format.

I do just the opposite. I scan in old pictures in high rez and get rid of the originals. I don't have the space for all the boxes of pictures.
08-11-2022, 09:57 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

I suspect this will cause some (hopefully mild) heated discussion, but I have several hard drives and a lot of SD cards and I want to consolidate ~everything to one spot and use Lightroom Classic to manage and tag and whatnot. I have newest LRC and can keep up on the subscription.

The LRC catalog will be on the laptop hard drive and backed up.

The images will be on some (as yet undetermined size) SSD based external drive.

And yes, I am IT, so I know I need to back up the external drive as well.

What works for you?

I am a hobbyist and do this for fun, so a catastrophic drive failure will suck but I will still be able to feed my family so we need not go nuts on the cost of this setup.

Thanks!!
Lightroom for managing my photo library. I use a 5 bay Drobo for long term storage. I would like to get another one, but they appear to no longer be made, so I am on the hunt for another storage device. I'm looking hard at Synology for another machine.
08-11-2022, 10:19 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Lightroom for managing my photo library. I use a 5 bay Drobo for long term storage. I would like to get another one, but they appear to no longer be made, so I am on the hunt for another storage device. I'm looking hard at Synology for another machine.
Synology with WD Red drives (7200 rpm rotational) ought to be fine, I have tossed several Drobo skeletons in the trash
08-11-2022, 02:29 PM   #43

Photos: Albums
DAM + NAS + External RAID

Hi,

I have something like 170k images (about 2 TB of space).

What I have here:

- Photo Supreme as a DAM. This is a wonderful, inexpensive (for what it is) and extremely powerful software to manage huge image collections.

- Main library stored in a LaCie 2Big Thunderbolt 3 RAID unit with two 4 TB hard drives (mechanical)
- Backup to a NAS and to two USB-3 hard disks

- keep the backups in different places
- backups done using rsync and scripts I made.

Working smoothly this way for some years.
08-11-2022, 02:37 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A main NAS with 3 x 6 terabyte harddisks for storage in Raid (yields 12 Tb effective) with 3x1Gb SSD as cache to improve speed for recent used files. And a similar , bit cheaper NAS as backup without ssd cache capability, holding a weekly base, full backup but also incremental backups - if someone wants to retrieve a older version of a recently mistreated document ....
It is my second generation of NAS, the first 2Tb one did work well for 12 years but became slow for modern pc’s, the newer NAS-protocols are faster, new disks are faster and photo files are getting bigger when new camera sensor megapixels increase!
It survived 2 disk crashes without data loss thanks to Raid config, The older NAS used normal pc disks, less reliable than the newer server/NAS graded types.

It serves as storage server for 6 people-my family. Not only for photo but also for 6xpersonal storage (mail,work/University,contracts, tax records,....whatever) in 7 dedicated spaces (personal disks with access rights).
The photofolder is year---event-or-theme folder/subfolder based. It holds pictures since 1995 (the oldest are scans of film negatives).

Moving photo catalogs to an NAS - PentaxForums.com
08-11-2022, 02:52 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter

Synology with WD Red drives (7200 rpm rotational) ought to be fine, I have tossed several Drobo skeletons in the trash
What did you find wrong with Drobo? I have one of their original ones which still works as intended, but it is also original USB, so it's slow, and a 5 bay one that also is fine so far. It's been in service for most of a decade.
I have found they like to be blown out from time to time or else the vents clog, but other than that I've had good service from them.