Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-10-2022, 01:19 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Weird colour problem in files exported from Capture One 22

This forum has been brilliantly helpful many times before, so I am keeping my fingers crossed:

I bought CP1.22 some months ago, and I am mostly happy with the software. But I had a bit of an issue with the photos I exported after editing. I thought the colours looked wrong, somehow, overedited maybe.

I ended up with a building suspicion that the exported pictures looked different from the edits I had made.

Now the other day I took a picture of a wood pigeon in our garden, and with this picture the difference is very obvious. The first link is the exported picture. The second link is the picture as it looks inside capture one 22. The third picture is the export dialogue window inside CP1.22.

I am doing something wrong, obviously - but I can't figure out what!

I posted in the capture one support forum as well, but noone has been able to help nail the problem so far https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/6226012881949-Someth..._6271024767517

08-10-2022, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
I am doing something wrong, obviously - but I can't figure out what!
This is your problem........ unless you are specifically creating an image for printing that requires Adobe RGB, you dont want to be exporting images for viewing on the web in Adobe RGB colour space.

Change that to sRGB
Attached Images

08-10-2022, 02:40 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

i also suggest you tick the box for Rating and Colour Tag under the Metadata

Flickr's reading of the exif shows colour space....uncalibrated
Attached Images

08-11-2022, 12:13 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
This is your problem........ unless you are specifically creating an image for printing that requires Adobe RGB, you dont want to be exporting images for viewing on the web in Adobe RGB colour space.

Change that to sRGB
I wish it was that simple. I changed the setting from sRGB to Adobe RGB based on advice from the CP1-forum. But it made absolutely no difference.

I will try out your other bit of advice about the metadata when I get home from work. I thought that only affected which information was included and not the actual processing? Anyway, definitely worth a shot!

Thank you for your advice.

08-11-2022, 03:44 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I will try out your other bit of advice about the metadata when I get home from work. I thought that only affected which information was included and not the actual processing? Anyway, definitely worth a shot!
It was the term "Color Tag" that makes me think it is worth a try. If the image file is not being tagged with a colour profile it may not display correctly depending on what browser/application/colour settings are being used by the viewing medium. Although most will default to sRGB and display correctly these days.

The odd thing is that although Flickr clearly says "Color Space - Uncalibrated", when I download your image from Flickr and open it in photoshop it tells me that it is in sRGB colour space !

I hope there is another user of Capture One who can help.

Can you upload the original DNG file to Dropbox ? Then I can download it and run it through Photoshop or Silkypix and see what result I get.
08-11-2022, 06:38 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I never noticed such a problem on my MacOS computer with C1Pro22.

Looks strange. Orange from the beak lost only in the exported image if I understand correctly. The image looks ok in C1Pro.

• Does your C1Pro22 run on MS Windows or MacOS - which version?
• Do you use a C1Pro catalog or session?
• When you select the output recipe and switch on soft proofing, does the image you then see on the monitor show the same problem?

If so, I'd suggest

• that you create a new session
• import the image,
• apply the same adjustments as in the original environment and
• generate the output-file into the session output folder with the same configured recipe
• Check the output-file on your computer. If ok, then I guess something is wrong in your original standard C1Pro configuration / session / catalog.

If the problem still appears in the 1-image C1Pro session I'd suggest that you generate an EIP-file of your DNG-File by using the context sensitive menue item "Pack as EIP". This menu item / function is only availlable when you're using C1Pro sessions.

The PhaseOne specific EIP file will contain the DNG image file plus all your C1Pro image adjustments. Let me know via PM where I can download (by example via Dropbox Link) the EIP file and I'll have a closer look at it.

I can't promise anything, but I can try to detect the problem based on the concrete image and adjustments. If no problem occurs in my computer environment, you have to look closer at yours.
08-12-2022, 03:54 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
It was the term "Color Tag" that makes me think it is worth a try. If the image file is not being tagged with a colour profile it may not display correctly depending on what browser/application/colour settings are

Can you upload the original DNG file to Dropbox ? Then I can download it and run it through Photoshop or Silkypix and see what result I get.
I tried ticking the "color tag" box. Funny thing: When I tick the box, the orange on the beak sort of flickers on-off very quickly. But the export looks the same with the box ticked, unfortunately.

My dropbox is very full, and I should look into cleaning it up some time... But I uploaded the .dng to my google drive, and you are very welcome to see how it behaves inside your software. I think the problem is more general though, and it is probably linked to high ISO. The default noise reduction with C1 is very agressive and pretty much desaturates everything, so I drag the color-slider down a lot in my high iso photos, since K3iii has pretty decent high iso performance - and I prefer a bit of noise to very agressive denoising anyway.

The dng-file is here: MHHH2682.DNG - Google Drive

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
I never noticed such a problem on my MacOS computer with C1Pro22.

Looks strange. Orange from the beak lost only in the exported image if I understand correctly. The image looks ok in C1Pro.
Correct! As long as I stay inside C1, everything is fine.

• Does your C1Pro22 run on MS Windows or MacOS - which version?
Windows 10 Home.

• Do you use a C1Pro catalog or session?
Session

• When you select the output recipe and switch on soft proofing, does the image you then see on the monitor show the same problem?
A user on the c1-forum suggested this, so I tried to turn on proofing - it made no difference. The problem only becomes visible in the exported file

If so, I'd suggest

• that you create a new session
• import the image,
• apply the same adjustments as in the original environment and
• generate the output-file into the session output folder with the same configured recipe
• Check the output-file on your computer. If ok, then I guess something is wrong in your original standard C1Pro configuration / session / catalog.

If the problem still appears in the 1-image C1Pro session I'd suggest that you generate an EIP-file of your DNG-File by using the context sensitive menue item "Pack as EIP". This menu item / function is only availlable when you're using C1Pro sessions.

The PhaseOne specific EIP file will contain the DNG image file plus all your C1Pro image adjustments. Let me know via PM where I can download (by example via Dropbox Link) the EIP file and I'll have a closer look at it.

I can't promise anything, but I can try to detect the problem based on the concrete image and adjustments. If no problem occurs in my computer environment, you have to look closer at yours.

I followed your instructions - for a moment I thought I had it, because I don't actually import the images to my sessions, I just direct C1 to the correct folder using the library menu - but unfortunately the export looks identical to the others. I guess that makes sense, since I did notice something strange going on with the colours in previous sessions.

Thank you for offering to look at the file. I tried to find the "Pack as EIP" option... but I failed. It is in the export dialogue window?

08-12-2022, 04:27 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I tried ticking the "color tag" box. Funny thing: When I tick the box, the orange on the beak sort of flickers on-off very quickly. But the export looks the same with the box ticked, unfortunately.

My dropbox is very full, and I should look into cleaning it up some time... But I uploaded the .dng to my google drive, and you are very welcome to see how it behaves inside your software. I think the problem is more general though, and it is probably linked to high ISO. The default noise reduction with C1 is very agressive and pretty much desaturates everything, so I drag the color-slider down a lot in my high iso photos, since K3iii has pretty decent high iso performance - and I prefer a bit of noise to very agressive denoising anyway.

The dng-file is here: MHHH2682.DNG - Google Drive

Correct! As long as I stay inside C1, everything is fine.

Windows 10 Home.

Session

A user on the c1-forum suggested this, so I tried to turn on proofing - it made no difference. The problem only becomes visible in the exported file

I followed your instructions - for a moment I thought I had it, because I don't actually import the images to my sessions, I just direct C1 to the correct folder using the library menu - but unfortunately the export looks identical to the others. I guess that makes sense, since I did notice something strange going on with the colours in previous sessions.

Thank you for offering to look at the file. I tried to find the "Pack as EIP" option... but I failed. It is in the export dialogue window?
In the session browser move the mouse cursor over the image, right click. This should open the context sensitive menue, where you should find the menu item „Pack as EIP“ … if that‘s not only available in MacOS. I think it‘s also availlable in the Windows version.
08-12-2022, 04:29 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I converted the DNG file in Photoshop ACR, gave the beak a little colour boost and saved as a JPEG. No issues. There is some setting in Capture One which has to be the problem, but as I don't use that software I cannot help I am afraid.

One last thing you could do please. Post the JPEG on here, but not as a link from Flickr, but directly from your computer It may help in examining the EXIF data
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 

Last edited by pschlute; 08-12-2022 at 04:34 AM.
08-12-2022, 05:05 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
In the session browser move the mouse cursor over the image, right click. This should open the context sensitive menue, where you should find the menu item „Pack as EIP“ … if that‘s not only available in MacOS. I think it‘s also availlable in the Windows version.
Nothing happens when I right click, so I googled "pack as EIP". Apparently this option is not accessible for .dng-files?

Quote from https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002478817

Packing images as EIP in Sessions
NOTE: DNGs, JPEG and TIFF files cannot be packed as EIP.
08-12-2022, 08:15 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nothing happens when I right click, so I googled "pack as EIP". Apparently this option is not accessible for .dng-files?

Quote from https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002478817

Packing images as EIP in Sessions
NOTE: DNGs, JPEG and TIFF files cannot be packed as EIP.
Native camera generated Pentax Raw DNG files are supported. I always shoot DNG.

Context sensitive menus are a standard in graphical user interfaces. They appear depending on the kind of mouse (1, 2 or three buttons), trackpad or tablet pencil usage and maybe a special keyboard key. Somehow you should get the context sensitive menu within the Session Browser and Viewer.

Please check if your opened session shows the extension ".cosessiondb" in the headline of the window. If not, you're working with a catalog not a Session Catalogs don't support EIP.

On my Mac the upper part of this menu looks like this ...

Maybe MS Windows doesn't support EIP?!

Please have a look into the "Preferences - Image Tab". If your Windows Version of C1Pro 22 supports EIP, you should see EIP options like that:

If not, EIP seems not to be supported by the MS Windows version of C1Pro - unfortunately. If supported and you tick the boxes all raw files are converted to EIP while imported and changes via C1Pro post processing tools are directly written into the EIP file and not into an operating system directory.

How does it look in your environment?

Addition: as I read a few minutes ago I read in this article that EIP is not availlable in Capture One Express.

Last edited by acoufap; 08-13-2022 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Capture One Express hint added.
08-14-2022, 01:04 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster

Maybe MS Windows doesn't support EIP?!
No, it was there all along, in the main menu when I right click. I was just a bit slow to find it!

Anyway, thanks a million for your offer to look at the issue. The file is uploaded to my google drive, here:
MHHH2682.DNG.cos - Google Drive
08-14-2022, 01:26 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No, it was there all along, in the main menu when I right click. I was just a bit slow to find it!

Anyway, thanks a million for your offer to look at the issue. The file is uploaded to my google drive, here:
MHHH2682.DNG.cos - Google Drive
Thanks, but this is just the file that shows the adjustments for your DNG file.

Please check if you can Pack your DNG file als EIP as I described. Only if you offer this I can directly look if your problem appears also in my environment and I can check what's maybe going on through your adjustments. The EIP file is a package of your DNG raw file AND the adjustments. If you like put this on your Google Drive.
08-14-2022, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

My best guess (from a distance) is that the exported image shows the true effect of your image editing and that all previews in C1 are wrong, hence the discrepancy.

It is well-known that the standard "pre-view", i.e., the image shown by the Viewer in C1, is not correct, i.e., shortcuts are taken (such as forgoing noise reduction) to speed up the display for a smoother editing experience. I've experienced very different renderings of noisy high-ISO images myself, since the Viewer simply does not reflect all image editing one has performed.

Zooming in on the beak to a 1:1 (100%) display, should show a desaturated beak. Please try that.

I don't know about the export preview, but I wouldn't be surprised if it employed the same rendering shortcuts as the Viewer.

Now the "Proof" mode should be accurate. It would be quite shocking if it weren't. Can you post a screenshot of a rendering produced in "Proof" mode? You should see a "Proofing" label at the top of the Viewer when "Proof" mode is active.

P.S.: "Color Tag" in the metadata refers to the red, green, blue, etc. colour tags one can assign to images to partition them into different categories, similar to a star rating. This has nothing to do with colour profiles.
08-15-2022, 12:50 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, but this is just the file that shows the adjustments for your DNG file.

Please check if you can Pack your DNG file als EIP as I described. Only if you offer this I can directly look if your problem appears also in my environment and I can check what's maybe going on through your adjustments. The EIP file is a package of your DNG raw file AND the adjustments. If you like put this on your Google Drive.
Sorry to be a bit dense here: I found the "pack as EIP" option - and then the file that I shared appeared in my session folder, so I assumed this was the correct file. So... I didn't get a pop up asking me where to save the file: Do you have any idea where I might be able to find it after doing the "pack as EIP"? (I am not feeling particularly smart right now, but thanks for your patience)

---------- Post added 08-15-22 at 12:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
My best guess (from a distance) is that the exported image shows the true effect of your image editing and that all previews in C1 are wrong, hence the discrepancy.
[...]

Zooming in on the beak to a 1:1 (100%) display, should show a desaturated beak. Please try that.

I don't know about the export preview, but I wouldn't be surprised if it employed the same rendering shortcuts as the Viewer.

Now the "Proof" mode should be accurate. It would be quite shocking if it weren't. Can you post a screenshot of a rendering produced in "Proof" mode? You should see a "Proofing" label at the top of the Viewer when "Proof" mode is active.
I tend to agree - I mean, the output IS the "true effect", since it is different from the original and also from the previews. Getting a file out that ressembles the preview seems impossible expect as the screen captures that I shared.

But the yellow beak is there at 100% zoom AND with the "proofing label" visible. I tried these two suggestions out at the very beginning. Everything INSIDE C1 shows a yellow beak, everything exported from it shows a desaturated one.

However, if I zoom in/out or apply various adjustments, the yellow on the beak sort of flickers of-and-on-again briefly. So I guess the issue has to do with the preview function. The thing is, I would REALLY like not to desaturate the beak!