Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2008, 11:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Difference between monitor calibration devices?

I see there is quite a substantial difference in price between an entry-level monitor calibration tool (such as the Spyder 2 Express and the Spyder 3 Pro), so I ask you: why is there a price difference? What does the Pro have that the Express version doesn't?

12-20-2008, 12:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Bump in case you haven't noticed this thread yet.
12-20-2008, 01:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check out the Huey. It works well with my monitor. No complaints on accuracy for prints made either on my inkjet or from the pro lab I use.
12-20-2008, 01:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

There is a monitor spider thing that charged about 150 US dollars or so. It sits on the monitor and caliberates the colour and contrast for your monitor taking 10 minutes each run.

12-20-2008, 02:17 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Sorry ftpaddict, I noticed but I dunno the answer, that's why I'm sitting quiet in the corner, waiting for more clever folk than me to reply.
12-20-2008, 02:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
There is a monitor spider thing that charged about 150 US dollars or so. It sits on the monitor and caliberates the colour and contrast for your monitor taking 10 minutes each run.

I know what they are and how they function; I was just wondering what makes the more expensive models better than the cheaper ones.

Accuracy? Software bundle?

I don't need one because I don't print my pictures (unfortunately). It's just curiosity.
12-20-2008, 03:15 PM   #7
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
I know what they are and how they function; I was just wondering what makes the more expensive models better than the cheaper ones.

I don't need one because I don't print my pictures (unfortunately). It's just curiosity.
Doesn't the more expensive one do printer calibration as well? That would be one explanation for the price difference.

12-20-2008, 03:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Doesn't the more expensive one do printer calibration as well? That would be one explanation for the price difference.
There's an entirely different device dedicated to calibrating printers exclusively, and that's the most expensive of the bunch!
12-20-2008, 03:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Accuracy is not really an issue as Joele has bought several versions of that to test out. He gets them free at work. For that, I am so jealous.

Software bundle is not an issue with spider pro I thinkl but there is some reported compatability issues surrounding other brands.
12-20-2008, 04:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

There's an entirely different device dedicated to calibrating printers exclusively, and that's the most expensive of the bunch!
The X-rite "Color Munki" calibrates both the monitor and will get ICC profiles from the printer. You don't actually calibrate the printer, but you "adjust" the input from the computer to give you a picture that looks like what you get on a calibrated monitor. And you have to use the word "looks" kind of loosely. You can never get a print to look like a computer screen, no matter what. One is backlit and the other one reflects the image. Guess which one looks brighter?
12-20-2008, 05:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Accuracy is not really an issue as Joele has bought several versions of that to test out. He gets them free at work. For that, I am so jealous.

Software bundle is not an issue with spider pro I thinkl but there is some reported compatability issues surrounding other brands.
Then why? Why are there several types of colour calibration tools with different price tags?
12-25-2008, 08:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I bought a Spyder2Express. Not a bad piece of gear, and it looks to do quite well. The biggest limitation to me is that it will only allow you to do one monitor, though it seems to just restrict this by the filename of the saved profile, so it's not exactly difficult to get around if you want to break the rules.

The reviews I read on it vs the cheapest Huey said that they performed pretty much identically as far as accuracy.
12-25-2008, 08:52 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Then why? Why are there several types of colour calibration tools with different price tags?

Marketing. Some people think the most expensive thing is better, others want something cheap. Take your pick :-)

I've only ever used this freebie...
http://www.jasc.com/support/kb/articles/monitor.asp
12-25-2008, 11:00 PM   #14
Inactive Account

ftpaddict, you sound totally confused.

Are you talking about the hardware -- Spyder2 vs. Spyder3?
Or, alternatively, are you talking about the software -- Express vs. Pro?
Or, you have no clue, and want to hear a diversified plethora of opinions?

Please do clarify if you want to hear a coherent maybe meaningfull reply.

I see there is quite a substantial difference in price between an entry-level monitor calibration tool (such as the Spyder 2 Express and the Spyder 3 Pro), so I ask you: why is there a price difference? What does the Pro have that the Express version doesn't?
12-26-2008, 08:03 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Check out the Huey. It works well with my monitor. No complaints on accuracy for prints made either on my inkjet or from the pro lab I use.
Hi Mike,
which version of Huey do you use, Huey or Huey Pro ? Don't you know if there is a significant difference ? And, do you use the periodical profile-changing feature, which modifies saved profile according to ambient light ?

Thanks, Jura