Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
09-12-2022, 10:59 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The ART Raw Developer Thread (RawTherapee fork)

So apparently I'm not the only one annoyed at how RawTherapee was basically abandoned... one developer (agriggio) was not happy with the direction of the project so he created a "fork" based on the fact that this code is all GNU Open Source, and released ART. It's based on all the RawTherapee modules, with some added (yay! Finally local edits and spot removal) and some taken out (mostly the Wavelets that I didn't use anyway).

Things seem to be a bit more logically laid out. Will I like it? Time will tell. I do miss having a dedicated saturation slide but time will tell (maybe they have been moved and I haven't found them yet?).

The page with an option to download is agriggio / ART / wiki / Home ? Bitbucket

And of course, it is as free and open-sourced as RawTherapee.

Last edited by ChristianRock; 09-15-2022 at 12:38 PM.
09-12-2022, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
So apparently I'm not the only one annoyed at how RawTherapee was basically abandoned... one developer (agriggio) was not happy with the direction of the project so he created a "fork" based on the fact that this code is all GNU Open Source, and released ART. It's based on all the RawTherapee modules, with some added (yay! Finally local edits and spot removal) and some taken out (mostly the Wavelets that I didn't use anyway).

Things seem to be a bit more logically laid out. Will I like it? Time will tell. I do miss having dedicated contrast and saturation slides but time will tell (maybe they have been moved and I haven't found them yet?).

The page with an option to download is agriggio / ART / wiki / Home ? Bitbucket

And of course, it is as free and open-sourced as RawTherapee.
Art was started long ago, way before the current lag in release. It's a nice RT alternative, simpler and with a slightly different toolset and mindset.

I think the dev wanted to break backward compatibility which RT wouldn't do. I think it probably one of the software worlds forks with the best relationship with the parent software devs. I use dev versions of RT so I've never been impacted by the lack of releases nor have i experienced a single crash (on linux). I tried ART when it was new but never really felt the urge to leave RT

I do think it's a better alternative for a lot of users.
09-12-2022, 11:54 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I tried Art, but back to regular RT. If I was forced to use it, I could likely adapt, but why bother if I prefer the regular RT.
09-12-2022, 03:52 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have a windows computer, so I can't run builds.

I thought ART wasn't that old, but I stand corrected. The main issue I have with it at the moment is that it's slower than RT. I'll have to see if in my workflow it's faster to use RT + external editing for what RT misses compared with ART, or if using ART will be faster. Interestingly, ART is faster to save files but RT is faster to edit them. At least that's my initial finding.

I think for a beginner, ART might be better as I find that it's better laid out.

09-12-2022, 08:28 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rawtherapee is not dead:

RawTherapee - RawTherapee 5.9 (WIP) and Project Updates
You easily can download nightly builds.
Release Automated Builds · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub
This includes Linux, Mac, and Windows builds.

These builds are very stable.
09-13-2022, 06:07 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bwgv001 Quote
Rawtherapee is not dead:

RawTherapee - RawTherapee 5.9 (WIP) and Project Updates
You easily can download nightly builds.
Release Automated Builds · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub
This includes Linux, Mac, and Windows builds.

These builds are very stable.
Thank you for that! I installed the latest Windows build (14 days ago) and will be testing it. If it works well I'll ditch ART, because ART just seems to be a bit slower to process. But it could be my computer just having too much stuff open... I use it for work as well.

Edit: first impressions of this development build are not positive. it crashes just by doing basic things like opening a new folder. Or opening a file. I know I only have 8GB of memory on this computer but the old 5.8 release has been running very smoothly so I'm very surprised at how bad this new build is looking...

Last edited by ChristianRock; 09-13-2022 at 06:53 AM.
09-13-2022, 12:58 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Thank you for that! I installed the latest Windows build (14 days ago) and will be testing it. If it works well I'll ditch ART, because ART just seems to be a bit slower to process. But it could be my computer just having too much stuff open... I use it for work as well.

Edit: first impressions of this development build are not positive. it crashes just by doing basic things like opening a new folder. Or opening a file. I know I only have 8GB of memory on this computer but the old 5.8 release has been running very smoothly so I'm very surprised at how bad this new build is looking...
8gb of memory is not the issue. I've basically never had a crash with rt-dev so I'm surprised you're struggling. Being on linux may help but I used RT dev at work on windows without issues as well. Strange.

09-13-2022, 02:35 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
8gb of memory is not the issue. I've basically never had a crash with rt-dev so I'm surprised you're struggling. Being on linux may help but I used RT dev at work on windows without issues as well. Strange.
Yeah I haven't had issues with my regular version of RT in a while. After crashing a few times I was able to get into that folder and now that the pictures are loaded, I seem to be able to edit them normally. But I only edited a few this morning, as I do have to work
09-13-2022, 07:05 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As I mentioned before. For me RT runs just fine. I use it on windows 11
09-14-2022, 09:38 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have really taken to RT as I have used it more and the wavelet features are among my most used. If it had spot correction and local edits (as well as the ability to do multiple graduated nd filters) it would eliminate a lot of the reason I go outside of it for normal photo editing.
09-14-2022, 09:48 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
I have really taken to RT as I have used it more and the wavelet features are among my most used. If it had spot correction and local edits (as well as the ability to do multiple graduated nd filters) it would eliminate a lot of the reason I go outside of it for normal photo editing.
RT has spot removal and local edits.

You need to run a dev build, that's what the people making the software suggest. I've been running them for a *very* long time with minor issues. The lack of a new full release is an unfortunate side effect of one individuals lack of time. The person responsible for doing releases . The software itself is good.

https://discuss.pixls.us/t/direct-download-links-to-the-latest-rawtherapee-d...-version/29806
09-14-2022, 09:59 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
The development builds in the link that @bwgv001 posted have this. I'm using the newest Win64 build right now. I had it lock on me the first few times I used it but after a computer reboot it seems to work better.

ART also has this, but not the wavelets... and unfortunately it's a bit slower. And some stuff doesn't work properly. This morning I tried to edit a picture and was happy with it until I wanted to crop it and the crop simply did not work. I switched over to RT and it worked perfectly.
09-15-2022, 09:15 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
RT has spot removal and local edits.

You need to run a dev build, that's what the people making the software suggest. I've been running them for a *very* long time with minor issues. The lack of a new full release is an unfortunate side effect of one individuals lack of time. The person responsible for doing releases . The software itself is good.
Good to know, so at some point it will appear. As much of a tech person as I am having local edits in RT isn't a big issue and I would rather tinker with other things than play around with software issues and configuration in my free time as I do that for my job. So since I can do those things in other software I will just do that for now as it is the path of least resistance.
09-15-2022, 10:12 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I tried this a while ago. It's a bit more simpler, but I still prefer RawTherapee overall. I guess I'm used to it now. I've been hacking away on it for the past 8 years now & have pretty much figured out what few settings I need to change to get very good results out of it.

I've gotten to a point where I'm splitting hairs in terms of noise reduction & fine detail. I'd basically would have to use something like DxO PRIME to get slightly "better" results. I say "better" 'cause like always, you give up something for something else.
09-15-2022, 10:52 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
I tried this a while ago. It's a bit more simpler, but I still prefer RawTherapee overall. I guess I'm used to it now. I've been hacking away on it for the past 8 years now & have pretty much figured out what few settings I need to change to get very good results out of it.
So are you using one of the newer builds? I'm waiting on a new dev build to be created and I'll download that and see if that solves my crashing issues, and my intention is to use that and explore the spot removal and local edits functionality. I don't think I'll ever have to use anything else now

QuoteQuote:
I've gotten to a point where I'm splitting hairs in terms of noise reduction & fine detail. I'd basically would have to use something like DxO PRIME to get slightly "better" results. I say "better" 'cause like always, you give up something for something else.
Honestly, I've been pretty happy with the noise reduction in RT. I don't have experience in many other softwares, but I can easily and quickly get better results than I did in darktable, for example.
So yeah it's probably splitting hairs