Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2022, 08:11 PM   #1

ON1 doesn't read lens name of HD DA* 16-50mm F2.8 PLM

I hadn't noticed this issue until just recently. ON1 Photo Raw (2023 and 2021) doesn't recognize the name of the HD Pentax-DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 ED PLM AW lens, although it does recognize the names of all my other lenses. Pentax's DCU-5 recognizes the lens' name in RAW image files, so I am puzzled by ON1's behavior. ON1 does read the lens' focal length and the other EXIF data in a RAW image file.

Thoughts?

10-19-2022, 08:26 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ausable Quote
I hadn't noticed this issue until just recently. ON1 Photo Raw (2023 and 2021) doesn't recognize the name of the HD Pentax-DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 ED PLM AW lens, although it does recognize the names of all my other lenses. Pentax's DCU-5 recognizes the lens' name in RAW image files, so I am puzzled by ON1's behavior. ON1 does read the lens' focal length and the other EXIF data in a RAW image file.

Thoughts?
As far as I know, the database of lens information that ON1 uses is maintained by a 3rd party, not by ON1. It's up to that 3rd party to generate updates and I've heard a lot of complaints about the speed with which it gets updated. I have heard complaints about missing mirrorless camera lenses, as well as newer DSLR lenses such as your example, that are missing from the database primarily because the maintainer is so far behind.
10-20-2022, 01:48 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Almost no recent lenses are recognised; Lensfun seems to be moribund. I have submitted several test photos for them to analyse, but nothing has happened.

An annoyance, but not fatal. As of a few months ago, you can now build and save your own lens profiles in ON1.

10-20-2022, 07:09 AM   #4

Original Poster
Is it really necessary to have a lens profile in the LensFun database just for ON1 to recognize the name of the lens? I did not observe that to be the case for my other lenses that did not have lensfun profiles.

10-20-2022, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is it really necessary to have a lens profile in the LensFun database just for ON1 to recognize the name of the lens? I did not observe that to be the case for my other lenses that did not have lensfun profiles.
You don't need a lens profile in the LensFun database, but you do need the database maintainer to get around to entering the lens name and associated Exif identifier into the database. I believe that Exif doesn't actually keep the lens name in the data that accompanies the image. It uses a number to refer to a translation table which associates that number with the name of the lens. The name of the lens is much longer then the number of the lens, and would require more data than the number does in the Exif file that accompanies the image. The translation table is resident in the application (ON1) and is updated with new entries each time the application is updated. That being said, the translation table needs to be modified by the maintainer for each new lens. That's where the holdup is.

Last edited by subsea; 10-20-2022 at 07:47 AM.
10-20-2022, 06:54 PM   #6
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tried adding the lens name as a keyword? Whilst they faff around with updating the database you can still have the lens type against the images captured with it and once in your keyword list it is easy to add to batches of images.

Tas
10-21-2022, 11:05 AM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
Have you tried adding the lens name as a keyword? Whilst they faff around with updating the database you can still have the lens type against the images captured with it and once in your keyword list it is easy to add to batches of images.

Tas
Yes, that is a good idea. I have been doing just that for a few years now with all of my lenses.

BTW, I did submit a service ticket to ON1 about the problem.

10-22-2022, 03:25 AM   #8
Forum Member

ON1 Photo Raw (2023 and 2021) doesn't recognize the name of the HD Pentax-DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 ED PLM AW lens
It is quite simple. ON1 uses Lensfun for lens correction. Lensfun has not calibrated this lens yet, see:

https://wilson.bronger.org/lensfun_coverage.html

Rawtherapee also uses Lensfun. Last year I bought the HD Pentax-DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 ED PLM AW and made my own profile. Rawtherapee 5.8 does not know the Pentax name, but only the lens number: 2243. This works fine.
10-22-2022, 03:32 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
As others have mentioned. Translating the maker note number supplied by the manufacturer in the raw file exif into human readable lens names (matching the number against a name) is a different issue than the lens being in the lensfun database.

To match the lens against a lensfun database the software does need to correctly read the exif. So

RAW file contains lens number > Exif reading software converts said number to a lens name > Lens name is matched against lensfun database > lens corrections are made.