Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2022, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Reducing digital noise

Below I have shown a link to a rather complex and labour-intensive means of digital noise reduction, which appears to be superior to any free-standing proprietary noise reduction software.

It looks like you need a lot of patience for this approach, but it appears worth it if you are after the optimum results.
Interested to see what your thoughts are.

An interesting start of the process is to use the noise reduction feature on your camera supplied RAW converter (Digital Camera Utility 5 for Pentax), then output the result as a TIFF file and work on this. As PEF and DNG files contains more information than a TIFF file, I would have thought it is preferable to continue working with the original RAW file. This is speculation, but I would expect this is where shooting in DNG is an advantage when using Lightroom or Photoshop for further noise reduction, as they are all Adobe products and should link hand-in-glove.

Last edited by Robert N; 10-23-2022 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Additional information.
10-23-2022, 10:37 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'll have to check it out later. Just commenting to more easily find this again.
10-23-2022, 05:06 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Interesting video. Definitely has some good tips towards using NR effectively in Lightroom
10-24-2022, 10:43 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pretty cool. I learned a bit.