Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2008, 01:09 PM   #1

Linux guru, DSLR n00b: how do I formulate a good workflow?

All,

I've been using Linux for about 15 years, and my first DSLR, a K200d, is currently in the mail. I am trying to formulate a good starting workflow. I use Debian Lenny (testing).

With my P&S, the typical workflow was:

1. Load JPEGs into computer.
2. Review them with gThumb and delete the stinkers.
3. Paste together the panoramas with Hugin.
4. A bunch of HTML, m4, ImageMagick, and make voodoo, the end product being trip reports with 100-200 photos, e.g. Phantom Canyon 2008.

I'd like to have a workflow that costs little effort for most photos, with reasonable results, and then I can put in more work on a few important shots.

I suppose my query is: Where's a good resource for starting to build a good workflow under Linux? It's easy to find lots of information on digital photography under Linux, but I'm having a bit of information overload. I've been able to find many good articles on narrow topics, but not overviews.

A few random questions:

1. I see that there's a book called GIMP 2 for Photographers; is this still useful? It was written in 2006.

2. Should I bother shooting in RAW+JPEG? Or should I just shoot in RAW, building JPEGs in post as needed?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Reid

12-25-2008, 01:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Would this do the trick? ufrb-kde KDE-Apps.org

screenshots are here:ufrb-kde servicemenu for RAW image conversion Photo Gallery by Mike at pbase.com

Teaser:

I actually use 2 separate workflows depending on the type of images. If I have a whole batch of images, all shots under more or less the same conditions and I don't want to mess around with each image, I use UFRaw in batch mode and pipe the output into scripted ImageMagick for USM (or binomial sharpening), resizing and converting the final output to JPEG. This is all done from a bash script I wrote some time ago. It is still up on KDE-apps here http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/ufrb-kde?content=74258 . This allows me to select the RAW files in the file manager (Konqueror as I use KDE), right-click and select batch conversion to any of 4 sharpening levels in any of 4 formats with one mouseclick.

If, on the other hand, I have just a few shots that I am prepared to go over with a fine-tooth comb, the workflow you suggested is indeed exactly my choice. I convert to JPEG only after all of the adjustments are done, all throughout the editing I keep the image in 16-bit PNG or TIF. If my last editing step is GIMP, it is smart (or dumb) enough to convert the 16-bit PNG to 8 bit as I load. I eagerly await arrival of full 16-bit editing to GIMP and I consider the lack of it one of the greatest misses of its development crew until now.

Last edited by newmikey; 12-25-2008 at 01:39 PM.
12-25-2008, 11:18 PM   #3
Inactive Account

You being a Linux guru, you'll have no problems finding out the postings of a fellow Linuxer, producing a customized Linux distribution, namely mattdm.
Also, using basic search, you've found out the postings of a guy developing on Linux (me). completey address the questions you have raised.

Unfortunately, being a Linux guru nowadays is not offbeat, but more like a mainstream already.

Of course, there are still "Windoze" users around here, but we have to be patient with them, hoping they will eventually see the light, no matter how long it takes.
At that point, we have to be very patient, forgiving and understanding.
Nothing less would cut it -- they are very sensitive, and more like the "old school."

QuoteOriginally posted by rpriedhorsky Quote
All,

I've been using Linux for about 15 years, and my first DSLR, a K200d, is currently in the mail. I am trying to formulate a good starting workflow. I use Debian Lenny (testing).

With my P&S, the typical workflow was:

1. Load JPEGs into computer.
2. Review them with gThumb and delete the stinkers.
3. Paste together the panoramas with Hugin.
4. A bunch of HTML, m4, ImageMagick, and make voodoo, the end product being trip reports with 100-200 photos, e.g. Phantom Canyon 2008.

I'd like to have a workflow that costs little effort for most photos, with reasonable results, and then I can put in more work on a few important shots.

I suppose my query is: Where's a good resource for starting to build a good workflow under Linux? It's easy to find lots of information on digital photography under Linux, but I'm having a bit of information overload. I've been able to find many good articles on narrow topics, but not overviews.

A few random questions:

1. I see that there's a book called GIMP 2 for Photographers; is this still useful? It was written in 2006.

2. Should I bother shooting in RAW+JPEG? Or should I just shoot in RAW, building JPEGs in post as needed?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Reid
12-26-2008, 03:23 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zaurus Quote
You being a Linux guru, you'll have no problems finding out the postings of a fellow Linuxer, producing a customized Linux distribution, namely mattdm.
Zaurus or Mattdm: can you point me towards that specialized Linux distro? I am interested as I produced one myself and would be thrilled to see what I can learn by looking through somebody else's eyes.

Mike

The PCLinuxOS Digital Photography Edition