Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-18-2022, 06:41 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I got a $100 off coupon for DXO Photolab 6- should I buy it?

I currently have Version 2 and still like it and it supports all the lenses I have.

I still find it’s version of noise reduction impressive.

What will Version 6 do that will impress me? Thanks.

12-18-2022, 06:48 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
I currently have Version 2 and still like it and it supports all the lenses I have.

I haven’t updated to 6. But I have updated to 5.6. I don’t recall which version brought deep prime to the party but it’s pretty amazing. I don’t use it all the time but it is really a great feature when I need it. It does want a gpu and version 6 requirements are higher.
12-18-2022, 07:28 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Deep Prime noise reduction from version 5 is amazing and a big improvement over noise reduction in earlier versions, and version 6 includes Deep Prime XD which offers even further improvements, although both are very slow unless you have a good GPU.
The other thing I like that's been available since version 5 is fine adjustments to control points.
Version 6 has perspective adjustment built in instead of having to purchase a separate product.
I haven't used the metadata editing features as I have an Adobe subscription, but this keeps improving from version to version, and it's at the point now that for some people it might be a viable alternative to Lightroom's meta data tools.
12-18-2022, 07:30 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

If you use DxO regularly I'd say without a doubt to upgrade. It's improved a great deal and added features since V2 that make it well worth while.

12-19-2022, 10:54 AM   #5

definitely get it, the deep prime NR is so good that I can use 12800iso on my K-01 and it will look good, and the lens sharpness feature (not sure if ver2 has it) makes the kit lens images as sharp as if it was taken with a limited lens.
12-19-2022, 01:21 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Chris (@Kiwizinho) has already mentioned quite a number of new features and improvements since v2. Some more that would spring to mind include
  • the Colour Wheel for better control with colour corrections
  • Control Lines, which have brought welcome Control Point functionality to gradients
  • DxO Wide Gamut, a significantly larger colour space than was previously used as a basis for colour rendition
  • a more informative and sensitive histogram
  • more options for tailoring your workspace according to your needs and tastes; faster access to the corrections you regularly use
  • at least limited support of Fujifilm Trans-X sensors (largely irrelevant to me personally, as I don't run parallel systems, but welcomed by many who do)
Given the upgrade discount you received and the extent of new features and improvements, I'd say v6 would add considerable bang to your post production capabilities. Just make sure that your computer hardware meets the system requirements.
12-19-2022, 06:30 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Make sure you purchase the "Elite Version rather than the standard Essentials version.