Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2023, 08:11 AM   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I'm currently trying the ART fork of RawTherapee and I can indeed get a stop back while keeping noise under control. I don't need to import things into a library (looking at you, darktable), I can just edit within a folder, there is a nice before/after comparison as in Silkypix and I can track the changes and create some profiles. This should be good enough for me to work with for a while. This is probably no surprise for anyone, but the 33mp file from the K1 seems actually quite forgiving for this kind of RAW editing.

Also, just as a sanity check, I tried to test some of the Adobe programs, that didn't just feel bad with their money-drenching subscriptions, the install experience was really pure misery, got red X screens without a clear error message and things just crashed. Purged it from my laptop again

01-13-2023, 10:04 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pimpim Quote

Also, just as a sanity check, I tried to test some of the Adobe programs, that didn't just feel bad with their money-drenching subscriptions, the install experience was really pure misery, got red X screens without a clear error message and things just crashed. Purged it from my laptop again
Never had this problem with Adobe.
01-13-2023, 12:07 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Never had this problem with Adobe.
I googled "Adobe Bridge crashes at start" and there's a long list of topics on it

Either way, happy with ART/RawTherapee so far!
01-14-2023, 12:31 AM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Also, just as a sanity check, I tried to test some of the Adobe programs, that didn't just feel bad with their money-drenching subscriptions
I prefer the phrase "Reasonably priced photo editing and cataloguing suite that is very regularly updated with the latest AI software enhancements." Seriously.

I googled "Adobe Bridge crashes at start" and there's a long list of topics on it
I have Bridge installed because it comes with Lightroom and Photoshop as part of the Photography package. I have never used it. Lightroom does more.

01-14-2023, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I prefer the phrase "Reasonably priced photo editing and cataloguing suite that is very regularly updated with the latest AI software enhancements." Seriously.

I have Bridge installed because it comes with Lightroom and Photoshop as part of the Photography package. I have never used it. Lightroom does more.
I fully agree with this assessment. I use this stuff professionally. The fact that many people have no issues with crashing suggests it's entirely a local problem. There is no way any software manufacturer can account for all of the billions (trillions?) of potential software conflicts their software may encounter on individual machines. That any of it works is miraculous to me...