Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-20-2023, 08:35 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I made a script to generate contact prints

I didn't want to copy all of my negatives over to lightroom to make a contact print file for large events, so I wrote a little bash script to do it. I thought it might be useful to someone else on here! I've attached a sample output.

Contact print generator · GitHub

Attached Images

02-21-2023, 02:26 AM   #2
Pentaxian

If anyone is interested, Vuescan VueScan Scanner Software for macOS, Windows 10, and Linux has a built-in index-print feature.
I've been using VueScan for over 20 years, it's a well-supported program with regular free updates, though not as cheap as it was when I first bought it
02-21-2023, 11:18 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I didn't want to copy all of my negatives over to lightroom to make a contact print file for large events, so I wrote a little bash script to do it. I thought it might be useful to someone else on here! I've attached a sample output.

Contact print generator · GitHub
Thanks! Had a look at it. May I say that I think you don‘t need to double line 9?
02-21-2023, 12:55 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Or there is another option that many of us will have here, which is Bridge. I've used it numerous times to quickly create contact sheets.

02-21-2023, 09:09 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
Thanks! Had a look at it. May I say that I think you don‘t need to double line 9?
Thanks! I was moving some things around, didn't notice that.
02-22-2023, 08:53 AM   #6
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can do something similar in FastStone, and even control the size of the prints and have it work its way through multiple subdirectories.
02-23-2023, 08:18 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
You can do something similar in FastStone, and even control the size of the prints and have it work its way through multiple subdirectories.
It's pretty trivial to change the print size in my script - one adept with bash scripting could do the directory recursion too.

02-24-2023, 09:23 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I wrote a little bash script to do it.
Thanks for sharing this, I don't need this particular script myself, but it is a great example of using Bash for almost unlimited utility applications. When I was digitizing some of my LP collection, I used a much simpler script to start and stop recording based on sound output from my stereo, using an old headless (and keyboardless) PC, store the files on a network share and make it easy to assign LP titles from the PC in my home office. You've inspired me to look around for other useful (or useless, but not too time consuming) applications for my Raspberry Pi and the home network server I've got running in my basement.
02-24-2023, 08:54 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice! I don’t need this today, but it’s a handy thing to keep in my pocket for later!!