Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2008, 04:13 PM   #1
Forum Member

focusing software

Recently came across a program called focus magic ( there are also apparently other similar ones on the net.)

Would like comments on the use of this type of software, and will is be needed if i purchase photoshop elements 7.

Thanks,

Pentaxians foever!!

12-29-2008, 04:34 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

I've just started experimenting with it, and so far, I'm pretty impressed with it.
I've been able to salvage something out of a couple of shots that were somewhat out of focus.
I wouldn't hink you would need it with any version of Photoshop, but you might want it if you have problems with out of focus pictures.
One aspect of focus magic that intrigues me is, because it is an action, it can be used in place of USM during batch processing.
You can download a fully functional free trial that will let you do a half dozen or so images, so it is definitely worth the look.
I'd try taking a file and doing the best sharpening I can with the tools that come packed with Photoshop, and then taking the same file and processing it with focus magic. You should know pretty quickly if you think it will benefit you.
12-29-2008, 11:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I tried the demo of focus magic. If I were looking for a forensic tool, it does some neat stuff. I didn't like what it did to photos though from an aesthetic standpoint. In that regard, photoshops smarthsarpen filter works much better.