Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2023, 05:52 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Digital Camera Utility 5 hangs with external drive?

I've got my photos stored on an external drive. Using the DCU 5, I cannot access any of them. The program simply hangs and freezes while trying to read the drive. Does it do this for any of you?

03-03-2023, 06:01 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Are you using DCU 5.9.5? on Windows or Mac? Is the external drive a hard disk or SSD/NvME? External drives tend to be slow, and this is a very disk-intensive program.
03-03-2023, 06:23 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
About one year ago, I had an folder/file related issue with DCU where it lost 'awareness' of all the disk drives every 5 minutes or so... , started to rediscover them (oh, there is a C: and D: drive and a network drive and...., redisplaying all folders....) and then was lost becuase the 'current folder' was not know in the new discovered drive system.... It showed as the folder list collapsed to 1 line and the reopened showing all folders again and happened every so many minutes (5 or so) , so after 5 minutes you lost contact with the current folder...and the image you were working on.

A DCU reinstall solved the issue... now works fine on a NAS (using a SSD accelerator) and a hard drive...no idea about the underlying root cause.
03-03-2023, 09:48 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I archive my pictures to an external USB3 HDU but (usually) work on copies of my files on one of my local drives.
Just tried accessing the external HDU from within DCU and it worked no problem, albeit apparently a little slower than usual.
I'm running W10 64bit with 24GB RAM on a machine old enough to be unsuitable to upgrade to W11
I'd suggest copying the files needed for the current work session to the desktop might be a valid workaround.

Last edited by kypfer; 03-06-2023 at 04:10 PM. Reason: typo
03-03-2023, 06:58 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hayavuk Quote
I've got my photos stored on an external drive. Using the DCU 5, I cannot access any of them. The program simply hangs and freezes while trying to read the drive. Does it do this for any of you?
Me too. I have given up on it…
03-04-2023, 03:15 AM   #6

Original Poster
DCU 5.9.5 on Windows 10, external USB 3.0 HDD (a 5.4krpm one). And this is not "slow" as in "annoying". This is "slow" as in it never responds to me even waiting for 10 minutes... I guess I'll just copy files to a local disk for edits as that works alright.
03-04-2023, 07:34 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You might want to check your PC for issues.
Safest way is usually to open a Command Prompt with Run as Administrator, and then:
chkdsk c: /f /r
chkdsk d: /f /r
whatever the drive letter is of your usb disk

Then:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

and
SFC.exe /scannow

Those are the Microsoft tools for dealing with system file problems.

03-06-2023, 05:01 AM   #8

Original Poster
Checked the disk for issues and that didn't help (the tool didn't find any issues). Other tools did find stuff to fix but that didn't resolve the issue. Btw, this issue happens on two different windows 10 computers, so I'm inclined to conclude this is disk-specific.
03-06-2023, 06:08 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hayavuk Quote
DCU 5.9.5 on Windows 10, external USB 3.0 HDD (a 5.4krpm one).
Same combination here and it works just fine. I can see all external drives in DCU.
03-07-2023, 05:23 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steephill Quote
Same combination here and it works just fine. I can see all external drives in DCU.
Probably a drive-specific thing.