Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
03-24-2023, 12:20 PM   #1
Forum Member

Enquiry on Pixel Shift

Hello everybody,

I would like to ask about the pixel shift option. I guess I am not using it properly or maybe it’s because of the darkness, but I noticed that sometimes when using the Pixel Shift I get green reflections instead of yellow ones. There are also pink spots where they shouldn’t be, so I would guess that it’s because of something similar to fringing, just that it's very visible and impacts bigger areas. I tried to desaturize them, but it is not that effective, because I cannot desaturize only that greenish colour: the slider reacts to the yellow, but not to the green and pink ones.

Furthermore, last time I have been taking a long exposure picture in the evening when it was rather dark. Maybe this had to do with it or something else, but the photo looks like a corrugated paper (see the pictures attached, especially of the houses and the sky). Could somebody help me in understanding why this has happened? I add you the link to some pictures (via links to thumbnails, because I am out of space). Thank you!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo   
03-24-2023, 12:27 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
pixel shift not recommended for moving subjects in your case it's water with slow shutter speed .
03-24-2023, 04:35 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The big thing is that you need to use software to develop pixel shift images that does motion correction.

Lightroom sort of combines the images, but it doesn't adjust for any movement. Water in particular will end up with green and purple artifacts.

DCU will do motion correction. Raw Therapee (my preferred pixel shift software) will do motion correction as well. RawTherapee - Downloads

Without motion correction, images like this wouldn't turn out with pixel shift:

03-25-2023, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Jau atsakė dėl judančių objektų fotografavimo. PSR tinka tik statiniams objektams fotografuoti ir tik su stabiliu stovu. O su tomis DCU ir RawTherapie - užsiknisimas

Please, all posts must be in English, or have an English translation:

Already answered for the shooting of moving objects. PSR is suitable only for photographing static objects and only with a stable stand. And with those DCU and RawTheraabout - a snarl

Last edited by OrchidJulie; 03-29-2023 at 09:20 AM. Reason: translation
03-25-2023, 02:53 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think the problem is not entirely about lack of motion correction, because the static items in the image (buildings, cliff, concrete wall) are somewhat blurry too. The EXIF says 25 second exposure - if that means 25 sec for each of the four PS exposures (which I think it does), that is a long time for slight movements of the camera or sensor to affect the result. You would need no wind, a rock solid tripod, with minimal extension of the legs and centre column, perhaps with weights attached, and hope for no shutter shock as well. (I don't think the K-3ii has an electronic shutter option?)

I think PS quadruples the difficulty of long exposures. The longest exposure I have used with PS was 2.5 sec. Even with ES and motion correction (KP) the motion of the ferns is still pretty obvious. The static items are OK, but probably show more blur than they would have with a single exposure.

Last edited by Des; 03-25-2023 at 03:28 PM.
03-26-2023, 02:40 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I think the problem is not entirely about lack of motion correction, because the static items in the image (buildings, cliff, concrete wall) are somewhat blurry too. The EXIF says 25 second exposure - if that means 25 sec for each of the four PS exposures (which I think it does), that is a long time for slight movements of the camera or sensor to affect the result. You would need no wind, a rock solid tripod, with minimal extension of the legs and centre column, perhaps with weights attached, and hope for no shutter shock as well. (I don't think the K-3ii has an electronic shutter option?)

I think PS quadruples the difficulty of long exposures. The longest exposure I have used with PS was 2.5 sec. Even with ES and motion correction (KP) the motion of the ferns is still pretty obvious. The static items are OK, but probably show more blur than they would have with a single exposure.
You're right. I actually do pixel shift with long exposures sometimes. If it is a really cold day, things are often quite still. You also have less issues with water since it blurs itself with long exposures. But you need a rock solid tripod and that isn't just for pixel shift, but for any of the individual snaps along the way.

This is a 30 second exposure pixel shift with the FA 77 limited.

03-27-2023, 09:57 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
(I don't think the K-3ii has an electronic shutter option?)
The K-3ii uses electronic shutter for only Pixel Shift images.

03-28-2023, 12:46 AM   #8
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These lines are caused by movement during the shot. I assume the camera moved very slightly when the shutter was open. Perhaps due to wind or pressing the shutter on the camera. To avoid that, I use a strong tripod/head and a cable shutter release.

Also, always use motion correction "on". Especially during long exposures things can move in the scene.

That particular scene is has some funky colours, I shot it a while back. There are different types of artificial lights.
Attached Images