Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2023, 06:09 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Recommended Android phone APP to directly view what is in camera (K3 M3)

Hi All.

I have been trying to manually nail my focus of planets with a 600mm f5.6 A +1.4X_L TC on the K3 M3 and simply find the screen too small to focus on planets, so I'd like to use my Android phone as an external monitor. I have found good APPs to view photos once I've taken them but, but not APPs to view the images live. (Sorry, I am not particularly adept finding good APPs. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Doug

03-31-2023, 06:59 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you tried (magnified) live view? What planets? If Venus/Jupiter/Saturn, they are so bright live view should work well, and you can probably go down a few stops, which also improves focus quality.

Or, use the (edge of the) moon to set focus, and then go to your planets - remembering to turn off autofocus (how do I know this? don't ask!).
03-31-2023, 07:01 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You might need an HDMI capture device along with an imaging app, but the issue you might run into is that the HDMI output is at the same resolution as your LCD screen on some Pentax cameras (e.g. the K-1). Your phone might have a larger screen but it won't have any increase in actual resolution over your camera LCD. Can't you use on-camera image magnification (not sure if this is a feature of the K3 but try the OK button to activate). That way the image won't be larger but you can electronically "zoom" in on an object for better focus.

Also, have you tried a Bahtinov mask on your lens? Using this mask will produce three diffraction spikes on stars which can be used to get almost perfect focus. You can make your own fairly easy or buy one on-line for not that much.
04-01-2023, 12:41 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stemked Quote
I have been trying to manually nail my focus of planets with a 600mm f5.6 A +1.4X_L TC on the K3 M3 and simply find the screen too small to focus on planets, so I'd like to use my Android phone as an external monitor. I have found good APPs to view photos once I've taken them but, but not APPs to view the images live. (Sorry, I am not particularly adept finding good APPs. Any recommendations?
Thanks!
Doug
Have you tried the free Pentax-supplied ImageSync app?
I've not used it on Android, only iOS, but it's not bad.
For preference I use WiFi Commander Wifi Commander for Pentax - wireless remote control for your Pentax camera , but that's only available for Windows.

04-01-2023, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In complete ignorance, I've never thought about this. I'd have guessed that focussing at infinity was all that was ever needed for astro photography. If there's any question of where the lens' infinity point is I'd have thought this could be set using a distant earth based object. I suppose at wide apertures, a remote object on earth and a planet may be a fractionally different, but there's always the moon. Focus on that obliging body then what's a few million miles to mars and onwards. Guess I'm missing something, As I say I'm ignorant of astro stuff (and much else ...).
04-01-2023, 02:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
In complete ignorance, I've never thought about this. I'd have guessed that focussing at infinity was all that was ever needed for astro photography. If there's any question of where the lens' infinity point is I'd have thought this could be set using a distant earth based object. I suppose at wide apertures, a remote object on earth and a planet may be a fractionally different, but there's always the moon. Focus on that obliging body then what's a few million miles to mars and onwards. Guess I'm missing something, As I say I'm ignorant of astro stuff (and much else ...).
Almost …
The problem with using (or relying on) the moon is that, when it's up, and especially when it's a week either side of full, it tends to "wash out" the more interesting detail in the sky, even more so if the air in your area is less than "crystal clear"
Finding a bright star or planet to focus on is often the only available option when working under "ideal" conditions.
04-04-2023, 08:20 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I was trying to get Uranus and it was very dim. Since I was using a manually focused lens (600mm f5.6 A) critical focusing is what I need.

Thanks for the suggestions.