Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2008, 09:15 AM   #1

Aperture software?

Has anyone used Apple’s “Aperture”? I have a Mac and thought that I might try this software. If you use this, please let me know how it worked for you.

Thanks

12-31-2008, 10:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You need a fast machine, though it runs well on my macbook pro (intel). It is my main catalog/edit software. I rarely use photoshop these days unless I'm doing serious changes like adding/removing things/people to shots. The raw developer is good and you have a lot of options. Plus there are plugins now coming available to do cool things like silver effects, etc. I switched from iPhoto a few years ago and haven't looked back.
12-31-2008, 10:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

In evaluating RAW converters I've found the best way is to just download the demo and try it out. This is what I'll be going with Aperture as soon as I get a Mac than can run it at a reasonable speed.
12-31-2008, 10:58 AM   #4

Original Poster
Is there a problem shooting only in RAW? After editing, the image can be saved as JPG, TIFF, etc, right? I would do all editing on my Mac Pro and not use the editing features embedded in the camera as using small buttons and viewing images on a 2.7” screen is not my cup of tea.

12-31-2008, 11:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

No problem when shooting in RAW. Aperture works fine in my MacBook Pro (intel; 4 GB memory).

You should download the 30 day demo and test it ... then you know
12-31-2008, 11:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

workflow is simple. Connect the camera or card reader and Aperture will automatically open it and be setup for import. You can store in a variety of places and organize in different ways. It'll import RAW or JPG and store the master in the original format. Any tweaks you do are saved as a separate version so the master is always the same. I don't edit anything in-camera. You can tweak to your heart's content in Aperture. The UI is quite good. I'm up to 25K images or so stored in a couple different libraries. Performance is good as well.
12-31-2008, 11:16 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks, I am downloading the demo.

01-01-2009, 05:35 AM   #8

I use Aperture for everything. I find it very intuitive which is paramount for a non-computer guy like me. I LOVE the Silver EFX plug-in for my B/W.
01-02-2009, 11:35 PM   #9
Forum Member

I love aperture. It ran quite alright even on my 12" Powerbook G4 with 512mb of ram when aperture was first released. I now run it on a 2.1ghz macbook pro, Aperture 2.0 runs absolutely awesome. I also agree, I rarely need to do anything in photoshop unless it comes to some layering and other wild things.

Great piece of software.
01-02-2009, 11:58 PM   #10
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm currently using it also. MacBook Core Duo 1.83. Can be a little slow at times (large imports or saving lots of changes) but otherwise it's fine.