Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
04-17-2023, 01:17 PM   #1
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Exporting from Lightroom to have images on phone

Hi all,

Just wondering if there is a better way of completing this process:

My goal is to get post-processed images exported and onto my phone so that I can share them out.

Currently, I am using Flickr's publishing services offered through Lightroom.
It's pretty easy to click and drag into the publishing service collection and click Publish and boom they are online.
However, Flickr isn't the easiest to save multiple photos off the App and stored in the phone - you can only do one at a time, I believe.
Also, it's not the best that Flickr is charging for their services, would be nice to have a free online service.

So, I ask, how do you get your edited images off Lightroom and onto your phone?

Thanks for any tips!

04-17-2023, 01:44 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't use Lightroom so I may be missing something here but if I want to put pictures on my phone I plug in a USB cable to connect PC and Phone and use Windows copy function.
Just the opposite of grabbing phone pictures to save on my PC
04-17-2023, 01:47 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Thanks for any tips!
In the Flickr app just choose "select" and choose any number of photos you want to save to your phone at once.

But if you are using LR you can simply share images from the LR app.
04-17-2023, 02:16 PM   #4
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roberrl Quote
I plug in a USB cable to connect PC
I actually never considered that! I'll have to try this out thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
just choose "select"
When I do this, after clicking 'Select' and choosing my images, there is no option to save them all to my phone. There is an option to share (text) the selected images, but it creates a link to Flickr instead of just sending the photo.
When I only select one image, there is an option to 'save image' direct to my phone.

using LR you can simply share images from the LR app
I am aiming at texting these images to people, not sharing via Facebook/Twitter etc.
Is that what you're referring to or is there another way to text out from LR?

04-17-2023, 02:52 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I do this, after clicking 'Select' and choosing my images, there is no option to save them all to my phone. There is an option to share (text) the selected images, but it creates a link to Flickr instead of just sending the photo.
When I only select one image, there is an option to 'save image' direct to my phone.
Apologies, I seem to have led you up the garden path. You are correct there seems to be no simple method to save more than one image to your phone from Flickr.

I am aiming at texting these images to people, not sharing via Facebook/Twitter etc.
Is that what you're referring to or is there another way to text out from LR?
In the LR app press and hold on one photo....this selects it and allows you select other images with a simple press. Then choose "share" and the option to "save to camera roll" will appear. The images are now saved to your phone.
04-17-2023, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Or from the Flickr phone app you can click the little arrow at bottom right of the photo and share it many ways including text messages.
04-17-2023, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

If you are on a Windows computer, install the Microsoft Phone Link on your computer and you can drag and drop directly from your computer to your phone. I don't know if there is something similar in the Macintosh ecosphere.

04-17-2023, 08:02 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I use Jeffry Friedl's Export to Google Photos Lightroom plugin. Jeffrey Friedl's Blog » Jeffrey?s ?Export to Google Photos? Lightroom Plugin
If you're on an Android phone, you'll have Google Photos anyway, and this automatically syncs with whatever is uploaded to Google Photos in the cloud, so is a fairly easy way to get photos from Lightroom to phone.
04-17-2023, 08:43 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So! If you're processing these photos on your computer and you're using Lightroom Classic to do this processing, and you have the Lightroom app on your phone (Android or Apple) and you have a subscription to Adobe's Creative Cloud then the process is really simple.

After you've processed these photos on your computer assign them to a collection in Lightroom Classic and then sync this collection. This will synchronise this collection of photos from your Lightoom Classic on your computer to the Lightroom app on your phone. From there you can share or export them as you desire.

As you're syncing them from Lightroom Classic to your phone they are synced as Smart Preview files. These are a reduced size RAW file with a maxmum size of 2540 pixels on the longest axis.

You can even re-edit these smart preview files on your phone and the edits will be synced back to Lightroom Classic on your computer.

This all assumes that an imahe size of 2540 pixels is sufficient for you to share.

Regards

Chris
04-18-2023, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #10

Hi all,

Just wondering if there is a better way of completing this process:

My goal is to get post-processed images exported and onto my phone so that I can share them out.

Currently, I am using Flickr's publishing services offered through Lightroom.
It's pretty easy to click and drag into the publishing service collection and click Publish and boom they are online.
However, Flickr isn't the easiest to save multiple photos off the App and stored in the phone - you can only do one at a time, I believe.
Also, it's not the best that Flickr is charging for their services, would be nice to have a free online service.

So, I ask, how do you get your edited images off Lightroom and onto your phone?

Thanks for any tips!
I just export them then email to myself as an attachment. Open up the photo then save it.

Am I missing something?

Jerry
04-18-2023, 04:54 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gidewey52 Quote
Am I missing something?
The disadvantages of using email to transfer photos processed in Lightroom to your phone are:
1. Extra manual steps to select the photos as attachments to an email, send the email, open the email, manually save the photos to storage on your camera.
2. Issues with email services having restrictions on the size of attachments, if you are restricted to say 5 or 10 Mb and you want to email high resolution photos, you will have to send an email for every photo.
3. The data transfer protocol for email is relatively inefficient for binary data and if you are using your phone's data plan to get email, you will use up more of your monthly bandwidth than using some other method to transfer photos.

I've used your method when I want to send a few medium resolution photos to someone else; this is the easiest and quickest method to set up. But if you want to export many photos, the fastest method for transferring them is to use a USB cable and it doesn't use up any bandwidth on your phone's data plan. Using a website to transfer photos is faster than email, but slower than a private network connection and much slower than transferring files with a USB cable. But it is easier and you can end up with two backups; on your PC and stored on the website. If the storage on your phone is almost maxed out (my wife never deletes any photos she takes with her iPhone and dumped her entire iTunes library into her phone), then you can access the photos on your phone from the website without having to store them on your phone.
04-18-2023, 07:13 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Another option if you happen to be using an HP computer (laptop or desktop) is HP Quickdrop. There are companion desktop and mobile apps, that allow you to connect wirelessly from your phone to your PC, and it's possible to transfer selected files in either direction.
Also, I already mentioned direct export from Lightroom to Google Photos, but another way if you don't have Lightroom Classic, or don't want to install the plugin, is Google Drive.
If you have the Google Drive desktop app, you can export to a drive folder, and that should give you access on your phone.
04-18-2023, 07:31 PM - 1 Like   #13
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
LR app
this is what I was missing.
I can't believe I didn't know to use their app.

Thanks all for your input too - great options shared