Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 52 Likes Search this Thread
04-18-2023, 09:10 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Need New Windows Desktop Computer for Editing Images

My current Windows desktop computer needs to be replaced. My budget is $1,000 to $2,000 USD just for the desktop unit itself.

I don't want an off the shelf unit from a Best Buy type store. Also, there's no one here in my small community that is available to build one for me.

Would you please tell me where I might buy a new computer online that offers at least some degree of customization? Is Dell worth considering these days? Someone else?

Thanks,

04-18-2023, 09:22 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
NewEgg.com has a build your own.
Custom PC Builder | Newegg
04-18-2023, 09:27 AM - 4 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Go online to LENOVO, not a secondary seller, the actual LENOVO site. I have gotten some excellent computers at significant discount from them (70% off a $1000 retail laptop-tablet converting unit they call "Yogi"). I got a powerful desktop for about 50% off retail.
04-18-2023, 09:32 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks so much for your advice and links! Just what I was hoping for.

04-18-2023, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You might also want to talk to someone at B&H Photo. They sell all kinds of computer components and claim to have experts on what works best for photo and video processing. That is where I will probably start when I am ready for a new computer.
04-18-2023, 10:02 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
might drop this here:
Pick parts. Build your PC. Compare and share. - PCPartPicker

they have an excellent online forum with very helpful community members.
might also suggest that you try to build one yourself - it's easier than you think!
04-18-2023, 10:12 AM - 4 Likes   #7

There is also Micro Center - Computers and Electronic Device Retailer

They custom build systems but unfortunately these appear to be in-store pickup. Micro Center is one of the few remaining brick and mortar computer stores with about 25 locations around the US. Many of the items are pickup only.

The problem with going with off-the-shelf systems is often times they use proprietary components like power supplies that you can only get from the manufacturer, e.g. Dell or HP.

You might check locally as there may be system builders that build and sell systems to local businesses.

04-18-2023, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello,

While not in a hurry, I am in a similar situation. I'll look at these options too.
I was looking and playing with customizing this HP desktop: Bumped RAM to 32 and SSD to 1TB and it sits at around $1,300
HP ENVY Desktop TE02-1000 PC

Thanks,
Ismael
04-18-2023, 11:07 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Micro Center, already mentioned in this thread, is my favorite computer store whether in-person or online. I use them for parts to assemble my own PCs rather than buying prebuilt PCs.

"Powerspec" is Micro Center's house brand of prebuilt PCs. I have zero firsthand experience with Powerspec, but I did some research in August 2022 and they seemed okay at the time.

The bigger assemblers like Dell and HP left me disappointed long ago. Maybe they have gotten better, but here's what steered me away 20+ years ago:
  1. They often used non-standard parts that I couldn't replace later.
  2. The original manufacturer of parts was hidden. Take power supplies, for example: were they buying supplies from good companies or bad companies? It was a secret.
  3. They added a lot of garbage "bloatware" to their Windows installation. This slows down the computers, creates complexity, and reduces security. I prefer a clean install and I'll add the software I want.
  4. Bad case designs with poor airflow, noisy fans, and overheating.
04-18-2023, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would also suggest Micro Center if there is one nearby. When I go into the office for work there is one literally just off the highway on the way home (the back entrance can get you on and off the ramp) which means I am all too frequently in there.
04-18-2023, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The bigger assemblers like Dell and HP left me disappointed long ago. Maybe they have gotten better, but here's what steered me away 20+ years ago:
  1. They often used non-standard parts that I couldn't replace later.
  2. The original manufacturer of parts was hidden. Take power supplies, for example: were they buying supplies from good companies or bad companies? It was a secret.
  3. They added a lot of garbage "bloatware" to their Windows installation. This slows down the computers, creates complexity, and reduces security. I prefer a clean install and I'll add the software I want.
  4. Bad case designs with poor airflow, noisy fans, and overheating.
You'll be happy to know not much has changed, as they show in this video (and the performance review linked in their description). Just to give you a teaser, did you ever think you'd hear the term "load bearing CPU cooler?"

I think they did review a Dell's proprietary PSU in another video and said that it actually performs rather well for its spec. Either way, I've steered away from prebuilds in general, so I can't really suggest much. My last computer was an iBuypower prebuilt that I bought used for $500. It had an i5-8400 and I later upgraded the GPU to a 6600xt, and it served me well for photo editing. Unless you are doing this professionally or just editing all the time, you really don't need much in an editing rig. If anyone is interested, this is my current setup, which could be had for just under $1,400 plus tax, but it's self built. It handles editing quite well unless I just really load up the layers in something like GIMP (which I've only done once). 32 GB of RAM would be much better in a case like that, but the 16 GB I have is plenty for 99.9% of my uses.

Shhhhh by Mooncatt - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Radeon RX 6600 XT, be quiet! Pure Base 500 FX ATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker
04-18-2023, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

If you have a good shop nearby, they can often build one at mailorder kit prices + a small fee. I have one I've used for 15 years and I get a new desktop (we need 2 in my household) every 2.5 years or so. Never had a bad one and I get exactly what I want.
04-18-2023, 02:08 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

It's not that hard to build one.

Here's the bare minimum that you need:
  • CPU with a cooler
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • Video card
  • Hard Drive (solid state like m.2 or similar)
  • Power supply
  • Case
  • Operating system on a USB drive or similar (Windows, Linux, whatever)
The other optional thing you might want is a modern built-in card reader to download your photos from the camera, but you can always use a USB cable from the camera as well. You'd have to make sure the case you buy has the slot for the card reader whether it be 3.5" or 5.25". You might need a DVD or Blu-ray drive, but that's fairly optional these days. The grand majority of people can get by without one. It'll take you +-1.5 hours or so to build it if you're not too familiar with building a PC.

If not, use Micro Center like already stated.
04-18-2023, 02:40 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Wow, great advice, thanks all.

Once I buy something I'll be sure to let you know where I bought it and it's specs.
04-18-2023, 03:22 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The problem with going with off-the-shelf systems is often times they use proprietary components like power supplies that you can only get from the manufacturer, e.g. Dell or HP.
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote

They often used non-standard parts that I couldn't replace later.
The original manufacturer of parts was hidden. Take power supplies, for example: were they buying supplies from good companies or bad companies? It was a secret.
They added a lot of garbage "bloatware" to their Windows installation. This slows down the computers, creates complexity, and reduces security. I prefer a clean install and I'll add the software I want.
Bad case designs with poor airflow, noisy fans, and overheating.
Not sure about HP, but I would stay away from Dell if you want to do some add-ons/alteration on your own, as noted by these folks. Too much proprietary stuff in there.