Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-28-2023, 09:31 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Linear Camera Profiles

Hi Everyone.

Has anyone tried using linear camera profiles in Lightroom or ACR? If so, what is your experience?

05-29-2023, 01:05 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes, I always make a linear version of any profile that I create. I make the profiles with Adobe Profile Editor and edit my raw files with Camera Raw. The linear profiles are very useful in high dynamic range shots, letting me work with a single frame then mask off different areas in Photoshop to add different amounts of contrast where it's needed. Usually it's just a case of applying different tone curves to the sky and ground, but sometimes it gets more complex than that. And it saves faffing around with shooting multiple frames and ending up with the fake look that you get from HDR software.
06-03-2023, 07:49 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just started using a linear profile for my K-1 mII after seeing this thread. So far, my biggest issue is that the profile seems to push the histogram to the left. Histograms in Lightroom are further to the left than they were when in the camera. Everything now requires about +1.0 exposure compensation in LR to look correct. I'm interested in what others think.
06-03-2023, 09:12 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Yes, that is the case with linear profiles.

06-03-2023, 09:25 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I just started using a linear profile for my K-1 mII after seeing this thread. So far, my biggest issue is that the profile seems to push the histogram to the left. Histograms in Lightroom are further to the left than they were when in the camera. Everything now requires about +1.0 exposure compensation in LR to look correct. I'm interested in what others think.
I see it the other way.

Non-linear profiles often push real captured values to the right, i.e. they apply some curves etc. It might be nice that way. But for some captures it's the wrong way to go. Capture One Pro supports different kind of profiles. For some captures I then choose linear and apply curves and other tools the way I think it's best for what I'm after.