Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2023, 02:51 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dug my Canon Pro-200 printer out from the rubble...

After about 18 months of having a huge number of interior and exterior renovations on the house while living in it (probably should just have bought a new house), I was able to dig back down to my Canon Pro 200. It had a lot of drywall and plaster (older home) dust on it from being repeatedly moved to new rooms as prior rooms were gutted even though I had it covered much of the time, Wiped it down and have started printing again. It really did a great job for me when I bought it, but after it got so buried and fouled, I was really afraid it would never work again but it really does seem to be built like a small tank. Anyway, here is my newly-painted wall--now newly outfitted with all 8x10s--at the bottom of front entryway interior stairway (more coming). It's my nature wall!...

[Note: Fairly dark hallway as early evening and the lights made a glare so I turned them off. This meant my handheld KP was set to F16 (needed DOF), 1/8 sec, ISO 6400 at 16mm w/ my 16-85mm. As I've said before, modern sensors never cease to amaze me.]

I should mention that pic to the upper right is of milkweed extruding frost flowers of ribbon ice that I saw on a hike in Jan of 2020 (or so) in Austin. Weird stuff was everywhere that day. See Frost flower - Wikipedia.

Lastly, yes I will dig out my laser level as soon as I can dig down and find it!

Attached Images

Last edited by jgnfld; 06-03-2023 at 03:06 PM.
06-03-2023, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have a Pro-200 as well! Absolutely love the printer (I've printed a 'Pentax' label to cover the Canon logo just for lolol)
I really feel like 'photography' isn't completed until a print is made and hung on a wall.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7  Photo 
06-03-2023, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
I really feel like 'photography' isn't completed until a print is made and hung on a wall.
Now that's a really interesting question/concept! I think one could go either way.

Let's rephrase it as "Why did you (one) take that picture (of whatever)"?

Most of my pictures are for what I would call personal documentation - where was I / what was I (and my wife) doing on vacations / at a relative's wedding (numerous nieces and nephews!) / wherever .

A moderate number of my pictures have been for the local art museums (Northern Arizona University art museum and the Museum of Northern Arizona). Again, though, these are mostly for documentation (and potential use by students and researchers). They generally do not need to be printed to be useful.

For the few pictures I have printed, I have generally gone for a local consumer printing option (Target or Walgreens). While I think/hope a few of these pictures of the neighbors' houses having rainbows landing on them may be hanging somewhere in their houses, there are very few, if any, of my shots on the walls here at home (not counting a few dog pictures in frames in my wife's office desk and on bookcase shelves).

My major color printing efforts go for the photos I put in a double-sided page included in our annual "Christmas Letter."

Am I the odd man out, or do you not really print many shots either?
06-03-2023, 09:06 PM   #4
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
personal documentation
That's what I'd call 'snap shots'.

QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
local art museums
That's what I'd call 'photography'.

And I truly feel that photography is fully appreciated in physical presence... not nearly as much with digital.

and, for what it's worth, it follows for me that I prefer an OVF to the EVF, for sorta similar reasons.

06-04-2023, 03:50 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
That's what I'd call 'snap shots'.

That's what I'd call 'photography'.

And I truly feel that photography is fully appreciated in physical presence... not nearly as much with digital.

and, for what it's worth, it follows for me that I prefer an OVF to the EVF, for sorta similar reasons.
A high quality print simply evokes a different feeling than a screenshot. Maybe that will change as new monitor techs are developed..."living walls" of sci-fi, so to speak. But so far that has not yet happened.
06-04-2023, 03:58 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I only do this with the pictures I am really proud of. And I have printed many that are worth hanging on the wall, but I like them to be portable to show (ing off ) elsewhere. So they are kept in dark maps.
06-04-2023, 05:52 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have taken an office at work. It’s been mine since Feb ‘19. I have been considering what to put on the wall since then.
The difficulty is compounded by my reputation as a photographer and the geography I manage has been well documented in my catalog… choosing is so hard to do.