Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2009, 01:13 PM   #1

Pentax Photo Lab - how to get started??

Pardon my ignorance - I'm completely new to photography.

So I've just figured out how to upload images from my K200 & view them in Pentax Photo Browser. There doesn't seem to be many options for editing images in Browser, so PPL must be the way to go. But when I select PPL from Browser, I don't see any image in PPL .

How do I get the images into PPL????

01-04-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by juliey Quote
Pardon my ignorance - I'm completely new to photography.

So I've just figured out how to upload images from my K200 & view them in Pentax Photo Browser. There doesn't seem to be many options for editing images in Browser, so PPL must be the way to go. But when I select PPL from Browser, I don't see any image in PPL .

Uhhh, download Photoshop Elements?

Seriously, select the thumbnail of the photo you want to edit, then click the PPL link icon. You can select as many images as you want in Browser - they will all open in PPL.
01-04-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by juliey Quote
Do you take photos in JPG or PEF format? PPL does not work with JPG files.
01-04-2009, 02:32 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
select the thumbnail of the photo you want to edit, then click the PPL link icon. You can select as many images as you want in Browser - they will all open in PPL
Nope - they won't.

Because....
[QUOTE][Do you take photos in JPG or PEF format? PPL does not work with JPG files. /QUOTE]

yep - JPG. The only other options on the camera are RAW or RAW+.

This seems unnecessarily complicated to me. Why supply PPL as the photo editing software when the camera, as most people will probably use it (in JPG), does not work with that software???

Thanks ddhytz - was about to put a brick through my monitor!

01-04-2009, 03:05 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:

This seems unnecessarily complicated to me. Why supply PPL as the photo editing software when the camera, as most people will probably use it (in JPG), does not work with that software???
PPL picks up the task of RAW processing from the camera. If you are shooting jpegs, you have in camera processing so you don't need PPL.
As an aside, it was only Photoshop CS3 that introduced the concept of allowing Camera RAW to open jpeg files.
Up until then, if you had a jpeg you were limited to Photoshops (considerable) tools for processing, but you were stuck with things like the imbedded white balance.
01-04-2009, 07:40 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:

It's really not complicated. PPL is for RAW processing. PPB is for...beats me :-)

I used them (and some other stuff as work-arounds) for 18 months, but changed to Elements 6 just about 1 month before that was updated to v7. I wish I had done it earlier. Many peole like Elements but not v7 so much.