Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2023, 07:30 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Yeah, I would say itís a Lancashire accent. Thereís so many of them though! His videos are very informative & concise which, I agree, is a bonus on YouTube these days.

11-21-2023, 10:09 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I didn't see any info about improving the deep prime XD. 🙄 Does anyone know something about it.
11-21-2023, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I just upgraded from PhotoLab 5 to PhotoLab 7 (& also to Nik collection 6) in their Black Friday sale...
11-21-2023, 07:38 PM   #19
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rpjallan Quote
I just upgraded from PhotoLab 5 to PhotoLab 7 (& also to Nik collection 6) in their Black Friday sale...
Same here - with FilmPack7 as well. More realistic pricing with the sale but it's still a slug with the exchange rate - $US213 became $A344. Ouch.

Haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

11-21-2023, 07:40 PM   #20
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Yaki Quote
I didn't see any info about improving the deep prime XD. 🙄 Does anyone know something about it.
The release notes for PL7 don't mention it. Maybe just a carryover from PL6?
11-21-2023, 11:44 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
The release notes for PL7 don't mention it. Maybe just a carryover from PL6?
If that's the case I'll probably miss this upgrade
11-22-2023, 01:02 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Same here - with FilmPack7 as well. More realistic pricing with the sale but it's still a slug with the exchange rate - $US213 became $A344. Ouch.
I didn't want to pay extra for the FilmPack. The exchange rate is terrible at the moment & I am at a bit of a loss as to why...

BTW, the Nik collection 6 is a massive improvement on the version 4 I had previously.

11-22-2023, 01:03 AM - 1 Like   #23
Forum Member

No !? :/
11-22-2023, 02:42 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rpjallan Quote

BTW, the Nik collection 6 is a massive improvement on the version 4 I had previously.
Thanks for that. I should check it. There is big discount this days.
11-27-2023, 12:26 AM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's great that DxO now have Robin Whalley on board as a demonstrator.

Here's a short introduction to the new features in PL7:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Matszf_z1JA
Some nice features here, although nothing really indispensable IMO for the PL5 or PL6 user. (This video doesn't cover what might be more useful: luminosity masking. This is available only when FilmPack 7 is installed.)

For those who are considering PhotoLab for the first time, here is a brief intro to PL7:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhvW_GNhAgE
Thank you Des!

I have followed this forum through a sequence of software over the last decade. When I joined pf I was shooting jpg and using gimp for simple adjustments. Looking at photos here in the forums made me switch to raw and buy Lightroom. Then Lightroom went subscription and I got Capture One... and then they went subscription.

I downloaded a trial version of DxO a few weeks back, and now I went for the black friday offer. It feels like an upgrade from anything I have tried, and I love it so far. The one thing I needed was a good tutorial - so thanks!
11-27-2023, 01:18 AM   #26
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
The one thing I needed was a good tutorial - so thanks!
Happy to help, Mette. Good to have another happy camper in the DxO users here.

There are quite a few videos if you go to the DxO channel on YouTube: DxO - YouTube As an experienced user of PP software, you will find some quite detailed ones about advanced features that you might find useful.

I have upgraded from PL5 to PL7. Still trying to work out when to use DeepPrime XD and how much to use. Some people have had some strange results with XD working on K-3iii images (see https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/...point-4-a.html). So far I haven't encountered them.

Last edited by Des; 11-27-2023 at 03:21 AM.
11-27-2023, 02:12 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Yaki Quote
Thanks for that. I should check it. There is big discount this days.
Most of the Nik Collection I would rarely use but after finding some good tutorials on YouTube I am using it more & more. The upgrade from 4 to 6 has made it much easier to use. Good on DXO for rescuing this from Google who decided (typically) not to develop it.
11-27-2023, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PhotoLab 7 is a steep learning curve coming from PhotoLab 5 or 6

If you are like me and skipped the upgrade to PL6 because of problems with DeepPrimeXD and the K-3 Mk III raw images, PL7 is a big departure and a steep learning curve when using the new implementation of Local Adjustments. Gone is the set of "Equalizer" type sliders that you could control the local adjustments with. This one change has elicited numerous discussions regarding the local adjustments on the DXO Forum. I for one was highly satisfied with the old controls. As of last Friday there was a paucity of tutorial material available, so time will tell whether PhotoLab 7 users will be excited to use the new features in PL7. I went ahead and bought a copy of PL7 Elite because the upgrade pricing was hard to resist and my copy of PL5 is still functional and will be always. So some people will love the changes and embrace the and others will take quite some time to grow to like the new PhotoLab 7.

Last edited by Larrymc; 11-27-2023 at 01:53 PM.
11-27-2023, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I have also joined the party in the Black Friday discount of upgraders from DxO 5 to 7. Little lost with the change in the Local Adjustment feature also. Must watch that tutorial.
I also have Affinity Photo V 1.10.6 which I am still contemplating upgrading to V2.
11-29-2023, 03:22 PM - 2 Likes   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Still trying to work out when to use DeepPrime XD and how much to use. Some people have had some strange results with XD working on K-3iii images (see DxO PhotoLab 6 and ViewPoint 4 - PentaxForums.com). So far I haven't encountered them.
I am still just trying things out, but DeepPrime XD made this razorbill into something worth keeping - it was extremely noisy. That was a K-3iii with the DA* 300mm

MHHH5824_DxO