Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2023, 11:21 AM   #1

Colomunki photo vs Xrite Display 2 color cast?

Hi guys
I just got a second hand Colomunki photo, I used it to calibrate my monitor and printer and they match. I used an Xrite Display 2 to calibrate my monitors before the Colormunki, and the monitors looked different with the Display2, even in programs that use color profiles like photoshop.
My question is: I know the Colormunki is “old” and I am worried that even though my monitor and prints match, the actual color as defined by industry standards like D65, gamma2.2 and such may be off because the hardware of the Colormunki has degraded over time.
Any light you may cast will be greatly appreciated,

Attached Images

Last edited by Lightwonderer; 10-16-2023 at 11:23 AM. Reason: I could not see the image attached via url
10-16-2023, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #2

My suspicion is you may have calibrated with the ColorMunki to D55 or even D50 as it is made for printing, and the i1 Display 2 is made more for the web and computer screens than printing. The D55 is what I use for printing, or even D50 if the interiors for prints lighting is warm. D65 is towards the blue end and for web work since most monitors and even TVs tend to be blue in initial calibration. It's a science based on your preference for what do you want to do? "Print or web?" Printing is also a mess with all the profiles that may be needed for sundry papers, printers, ink types, and the colors in the paper base too. I have over 589 color profiles in my C://Windows>System32>spool>driver>color folder for all the printers and papers I use. All are different so the screen may need to be altered to work with some of them and match. Sadly, it is very hard to get two screens to be alike with a profiler, imho, as well as two identical model printers from same computer. I can understand why sending the same print to a dozen different labs all come back looking different.

A couple of things I've had issues with the ColorMunki Photo was there is a ribbon cable in them that moves when you rotate the side wheel for reading and calibration. Some have broken after a lot of usage, but Mouser Electronics or Digikey sells the ribbon cable for about $5. There is also some silver foil strip stuck in that wheel area used for calibration that can come unstuck, but then it will not calibrate as the light doesn't get reflected to the sensor for calibration and it lets you know something has gone wrong.

If you want some "Standard," then look at the Eizo ColorEdge screens that have the graphics and computer hardware within them along with the calibration hardware that comes in from the side. They are calibrated independently of your computer to a standard, or you can emulate your computer into them too. Being self contained and being a sort of stand-alone computer too, they get really expensive though (~$5,000+).

Color can be an endless rabbit hole and why I tend to use the K3 Monochrome camera more now too. Good luck!
10-16-2023, 12:53 PM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mack53 Quote
Sadly, it is very hard to get two screens to be alike with a profiler, imho, as well as two identical model printers from same computer. I can understand why sending the same print to a dozen different labs all come back looking different
I agree wholeheartedly, at least so far as displays are concerned. In my experience, profiling two supposedly equal-gamut displays with the same colorimeter and software will usually get you close (sometimes very close) to equal colour reproduction - and certainly way, way better than not profiling them - but rarely (if ever) will they match perfectly. I'm sure the same must be true with printers also. Start mixing colorimeters and/or profiling software, and the "problem" (if we can legitimately call it that - I prefer "limitation") is likely to be exacerbated.

I use a several-years-old Colormunki Display colorimeter and ArgyllCMS to profile multiple displays, and where the gamuts are more-or-less equal, the results match closely enough for my own personal use and satisfaction - but they're NOT identical...
10-16-2023, 02:31 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you, guys, for answering my question, but I think I did not explain myself correctly.

Both monitors match in color and lightness (except when the image exceeds the range of the cheaper monitor).

I calibrated the BenqSW240 to D65 and the GW2480 is not hardware calibrated and I could not adjust the white point, only brightness on the Colormunki interface.

I calibrated the monitors to the same specifications with both profilers but the result on the Xrite Display2 is more Magenta(ish) and the Colormunki more yellow-green(ish).

My question is:
¿How can I tell which of the devices are giving me colors faithful to the specs I enter on the calibration interface?
Greetings from the fast beauty-fading city of Barcelona,

10-17-2023, 11:07 AM - 1 Like   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Lightwonderer Quote
My question is:
How can I tell which of the devices are giving me colors faithful to the specs I enter on the calibration interface?
So which device do you prefer? This is not an exact science and all software engineers seem to have their own thoughts on "What looks good to them."

If you have a ColorChecker Passport you could use Darktable and it has a means to check if your colors are accurate enough with it. I almost guarantee you will never see a Delta e=0 though where all colors are accurate. Color is not that easy and all hardware will present different readings. Have to pick which you like for the task, or for whomever else who is looking at the image whether it is a print, on a computer, an iPad, a cellphone, etc.

This video describes how to check which color profile you generated is the most accurate using Darktable. At 14 minutes, he mentions how you can compare sundry profiles you make, and then pick through which is closest for you for the lowest Delta e you can get with however or whatever you used to get there.

One of my printing motto's is: "A Satisfactory ColorChecker chart copy is possible. A Perfect ColorChecker chart copy may be impossible."

Good luck!
10-18-2023, 06:00 AM   #6

Original Poster
You people are awesome. Thank you. Always learn from you. I wish I could participate in the contest but I don´t have a Pentax camera.