Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2023, 06:32 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
New Lightroom catalog from Smart Collection

I recently tried to use the same archive/catalog/plugin folder across different Lightroom installations. I had everything working finer between Mac and Windows 10 installations, using a single esternal disk (SSD USB 3.1 gen2, 10Mbit).
Unfortunately the disk is getting full at a faster pace than predicted, so I am planning to have two (or three) different disks, with separate catalogs. One of them will have a 1TB M.2 chip inside a 40Mbit Thuderbolt 3 enclosure.
I got to start to divide the catalog in two (or three) parts.
I want to start separating the analog scans from the digital RAWs. All the scans belong to a single Smart Collection.
What's the easiest way to remove all the pictures that belong to the Smart Collection from the main catalog, and create a new catalog from*them?
I guess I might be able to find a way by myself, but it took a long time to prune this catalog and make everything work perfectly in different computers, so I'm walking on eggshells
Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers
Paolo

11-15-2023, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #2

You can go to the Smart Collection, select all the pictures, and then under the File tab, "Export as Catalog". After you've checked that the new catalog (put it on whichever disk you want it) is OK, then you can remove the photos from your original catalog.

Last edited by Pete R; 11-15-2023 at 07:15 AM.
11-15-2023, 10:22 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pete R Quote
You can go to the Smart Collection, select all the pictures, and then under the File tab, "Export as Catalog". After you've checked that the new catalog (put it on whichever disk you want it) is OK, then you can remove the photos from your original catalog.
I concur, simple solution
11-15-2023, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is there an advantage to having separate catalogs as opposed to having images stored on multiple different volumes? I'm presently using one large catalog with Smart Previews referencing images stored on the internal drive and others stored on an external NAS connected setup. I would think having multiple catalogs would complicate life too much, but wonder if there's a reason.

11-16-2023, 02:14 AM   #5

I agree: I just use one catalog, except when transferring work from an old laptop I take on trips (too old to run current software). For all you could want to know on these topics, I recommend the Lightroom Queen forums, e.g.: Search results for query: catalog | Lightroom Queen Forums.
11-17-2023, 12:53 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Having a single catalog linked to images residing on different physical volumes might be the ideal solution for most people, but in my case I'm not so sure about that.
The catalog has to be portable across different computer residing in different places. In fact, the catalog resides on the same 10Mbit/sec SSD portable disk as all the image files.
This way I can work on the catalog and add new pictures wherever I am.
There is a problem, though. The standard of the catalog doesn't stay the same. I believe Adobe does it on purpose, not always for compelling reasons.
On the second hand Mac Pro 6.1 that I recently bought and that I just brought to Thailand I installed the latest 13 version. Guess what, the catalog has to be converted! Which means that also the other computers I have will need yet another update... which is exactly what I would rather try to avoid, because of problems I had in the past.
The last update was forced when I bought an old HP Z800 professional workstation (around 250 euros for the machine with 64GB RAM and upgrade to two faster Xeons) and of course the Windows version of Lightroom that I installed called for another conversion...
I needed a computer with Firewire to scan my slides and negatives with two old dedicated scanners that still work OK, hence the purchase of the Z800 . Only my old MacBook Pro early 2012 had a Firewire port, but it was not the right computer for the job.
The HP Z800 works great, but now I have FOUR computers were I would like to have Lightroom installed
Back to the two catalog. At this point I have about two thousands analog scans that produced huge files, and I am still VERY far from being done. I kinda just started... so I though that it could make sense to make some room on the portable drive and create a new catalog exclusively for the analog scans.
I could replace the external drive with a Thunderbolt 3 one that has two times the capacity, but I'm getting really sick of changing all the paths once again.
So for now two catalogs will be. I will see if it works or not for my specific needs.

Thanks a lot for the simple advice. I didn't want to make stupid mistakes and now I'm confident I will not.

Cheers

Paolo

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 11-17-2023 at 01:03 AM.
12-01-2023, 10:29 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I find Lightroom very good under a certain point of view, and infuriating under another.
Has anybody transitioned to another software, continuing to use Adobe Bridge... or using unregistered Lightroom only as a basic catalog?
Which functionality would be disabled, apart from the Develop tab, if the application is not registered anymore?