Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2024, 07:04 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Topaz Photo AI and the DA15 Limited: A Match made in heaven?

I acquired Topaz Photo AI during the holiday sale, and I had played around with it a bit. Today, I decided to see what it would do with the DA15 Limited. I've always loved my 15, but admittedly, it has (very) soft corners. I tried out the Photo AI to see if it would fix the corners, and I am kind of wowed by what it did. I'm going to try it with my K3III to have even higher resolution images, this is was just a test case as an image I've always loved, but was disappointed in the corners. It also added some contrast and pop to the colors, which I probably could replicate in Lightroom, but still...

Comparison looks better on Flickr on the full images than here on the forum or in my tiny jpg comparison shot.

Comparison.

The full images.

01-03-2024, 09:48 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Topaz does earn it's keep. I would still prefer they keep the programs separate, but Photo AI is tolerable now. The green ringed 15mm f4 Limited is my favorite lens and my go-to for when I'm light painting.
01-03-2024, 10:18 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I acquired Topaz Photo AI during the holiday sale, and I had played around with it a bit. Today, I decided to see what it would do with the DA15 Limited. I've always loved my 15, but admittedly, it has (very) soft corners. I tried out the Photo AI to see if it would fix the corners, and I am kind of wowed by what it did. I'm going to try it with my K3III to have even higher resolution images, this is was just a test case as an image I've always loved, but was disappointed in the corners. It also added some contrast and pop to the colors, which I probably could replicate in Lightroom, but still...

Comparison looks better on Flickr on the full images than here on the forum or in my tiny jpg comparison shot.

Comparison.

The full images.

Have you compared it to DXO?
01-03-2024, 11:05 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It seemed pretty good in the "before" version. I would go for slightly less sharpening than you did, if that is possible with that software.

01-04-2024, 06:03 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Have you compared it to DXO?
No, not at all. This is really my first foray into 3rd party sharpening.

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
It seemed pretty good in the "before" version. I would go for slightly less sharpening than you did, if that is possible with that software.

Point well taken. This wasn't really an exercise to do things perfectly, just an experiment to see if my beloved 15mm could be improved in the corners. What we need now is a masking system so we can improve the corners without affecting the already-sharp center.
01-04-2024, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
What we need now is a masking system so we can improve the corners without affecting the already-sharp center.
Photo AI has a masking function that would allow you to paint the corners (or any area) to sharpen. It initially tries to auto-define the subject, but you can erase that and just paint in the corners as needed. I'm not at my computer to check, but I think it's labeled EDIT SUBJECT, or something to that effect in the sharpening tab.
01-08-2024, 09:57 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
Topaz does earn it's keep. I would still prefer they keep the programs separate, but Photo AI is tolerable now. The green ringed 15mm f4 Limited is my favorite lens and my go-to for when I'm light painting.
I have been iffing and ahhing about picking up PhotoAI or Topaz Sharpen AI (which seems like its heading for Legacy) I think id prefer Sharpen AI, do you (or any one reading) have any direct experience or thoughts on the two products in context to sharpening only (specifically around motion blur correction as that was my fav enhancement offered by Sharpen AI trial) - is Sharpen AI still worth picking up?

Thanks
Geoff

01-08-2024, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sunburn Quote
I have been iffing and ahhing about picking up PhotoAI or Topaz Sharpen AI (which seems like its heading for Legacy) I think id prefer Sharpen AI, do you (or any one reading) have any direct experience or thoughts on the two products in context to sharpening only (specifically around motion blur correction as that was my fav enhancement offered by Sharpen AI trial) - is Sharpen AI still worth picking up?

Thanks
Geoff
Sharpen AI, along with Denoise and Gigapixel, are being deprecated, so I wouldn't recommend it simply for that alone. If it were still going to be updated, Sharpen AI is an excellent program worth buying. It also has a pretty good noise reduction. Their future efforts are going into Photo AI and Video AI. I know Photo AI is going to be more expensive, but it combines all three, and the added object removal tool and facial reconstruction that work pretty well. It also has a couple of color and lighting correction told add as a beta feature, but those also work well in my use of them.

I occasionally do photo restorations, and I'd say Photo AI has really come in clutch for that with the added features beyond the original three programs. I've had one that was a photo of an old and damaged print that was then sent via text to someone else. I was able to bring it back almost to printable quality just within Photo AI alone (I did have to make final adjustments in Raw Therapee and GIMP).

I've seen some complaints about color issues with the new program and had a small issue with that as well in one photo regarding noise reduction, but on the whole it's much better than it started out and it's suitable for my uses.