Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2009, 11:44 AM   #1

Resampling program

Hi! Does anyone know a resampling program (to uprez photos), which is not a Photoshop plugin, but a separate application. I am running Corel at home and found that it's resampling is terrible. I am looking for something like Genuine fractals...

01-11-2009, 12:23 PM   #2
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Urmas R. Quote
Hi! Does anyone know a resampling program (to uprez photos), which is not a Photoshop plugin, but a separate application. I am running Corel at home and found that it's resampling is terrible. I am looking for something like Genuine fractals...
So you want to take a 72dpi image and make it 300 or something? Upsampling doesn't usually work well. Your asking a mathmatical program to add data by guessing what's around it. And it doesn't know the subtle differences that makes it sharp with clear colors. Even photoshop isn't all that good at it.

GIGO = Garbage in Garbage Out
01-11-2009, 12:33 PM   #3

Original Poster
No, these are no small files. I am using K20d 300dpi files. In this particular case, after a small crop the shorter side is 3085 pixels or 26cm (10,3 inches). I would like to print it on a fine art paper at around 40cm (50% increase). I am sure this should not be a particular proble. I remembered from Photoshop, that it was best to use Bicubic resampling at small incrediments (10% at a time). So I tried this in Corel, but end up with weird artifacts (which look like oversharpening) in shadow areas. I get far better results when I do it all at once in Corel, but I am wondering, whether it is good enough. Unfortunately I have no Photoshop here at home to do a comparison.
01-11-2009, 09:04 PM   #4
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Urmas R. Quote
No, these are no small files. I am using K20d 300dpi files. In this particular case, after a small crop the shorter side is 3085 pixels or 26cm (10,3 inches). I would like to print it on a fine art paper at around 40cm (50% increase). I am sure this should not be a particular proble. I remembered from Photoshop, that it was best to use Bicubic resampling at small incrediments (10% at a time). So I tried this in Corel, but end up with weird artifacts (which look like oversharpening) in shadow areas. I get far better results when I do it all at once in Corel, but I am wondering, whether it is good enough. Unfortunately I have no Photoshop here at home to do a comparison.
If you want to find out if it's good enough then have one printed. It's the easiest way.

01-12-2009, 10:12 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi Urmas,
I'm also a Corel user and have found that the resize/resampling in the Program Irfanview works well. Use the 'Lanczos' type of resample, gives the best results.

If your printing yourself, look at Qimage, a print program that does very well on up rezzing.
01-12-2009, 02:09 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks, I'll give it a try... next time. As this was a rather urgent thing now I sent it to the lab and let them do the job. They are supposedly among the best labs in Europe so I hope things work out nicely. I have the photo mounted on aluminium layer and covered by acrylic glass. I'll let you know, how it turns out.