Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2024, 04:22 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Suggestions on Removing reflections in glass window from a pic

Hi All,

We just did a "Sleep with the Wolves" at a spa / resort in Timmins, Ontario.

It was pretty cool experience, with chalets backing onto a 10 acre area, with 13 wolves. The chalets are at ground level, and the wolves, some of the are curious, come right over to look at us!

It was nearly impossible to get a picture without a reflection, and you are not supposed to touch the glass or make tapping sounds.

Is there a way / software program to eliminate the reflection in this picture? My wife was sitting beside the glass window at the time..

Thanks in advance!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
02-23-2024, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Easy:

Reflection Free Photos Through Glass ? Ultimate Lens Hood
02-23-2024, 05:47 PM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote

while an interesting bit of kit - I think the OP was asking for after-the-fact assistance....
02-23-2024, 05:58 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
while an interesting bit of kit - I think the OP was asking for after-the-fact assistance....
Oops! I misread it.

---------- Post added 02-23-24 at 08:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ROBEFFY Quote
Is there a way / software program to eliminate the reflection in this picture? My wife was sitting beside the glass window at the time..

Thanks in advance!
Just reread this (after a prompt). DXO photolab clear view might help. They offer fully functional trial version.

02-23-2024, 11:31 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

I that image, you may not be able to remove the reflection completely, but you should be able to reduce it via post processing.
The image is composed of two parts: one part without reflection, and one part with reflection, the subject and background being similar for both parts.
Crop the images in two parts, same background and compare R, G and B histograms. The parts of image with the reflection should show a difference in histogram.
Apply a curve to the part with reflection to make it look closer to the part without reflection.

Once you know the correction curve, split the entire image in two layers. Apply the curve on one of the layer, and add a layer mask. Then brush on the layer mask to replace the part of image having reflection with the same part with less reflection.
Maybe you could simply apply the R, G, and B tone correction curve to the entire image and that would be enough to reduce the intensity of relfection.
02-24-2024, 12:50 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've had good luck with the new Topaz Photo AI and its object removal tool to remove scotch tape from a print as part of a restoration. The reflection on the wolf looks like a similar effect and the removal may work with that too. I can try and test it if you want, but heads up my schedule is often full and may take time to get to it. Topaz does offer a free demo if you want to try, but it embeds a huge watermark that sometimes makes it hard to judge results.
02-24-2024, 08:18 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you look on YouTube you’ll find a lot of tutorials for doing this by different methods. Frequency Separation is often used for this. @biz-engineer’s solution is interesting. I dare say that could be used in conjunction with Frequency Separation.

02-24-2024, 09:41 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

This sort of thing is what "AI" ----actually machine learning---has the promise to be great for. There are programs out there right now that are going to work pretty well, including the ones mentioned above.
02-24-2024, 10:57 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
There are programs out there right now that are going to work pretty well, including the ones mentioned above.
Well I think I was mistaken on Topaz, at least. I tried tinkering last night and I think it was just too large an area to remove properly. In true AI fashion, I kept getting a rather derpy wolf result. Lol. It kinda worked on the legs, but the face was a complete no-go.
02-24-2024, 01:01 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your photo is a pretty tall order for post treatment. Of course it depends on the extent of the reflection but your has quite a bit to clean up. AI would probably be your only hope short of taking a very long time to carefully air-brush the reflections but that probably wouldn't give you very satisfying results. Here's my 2 cents worth of "AI" (actually just some manipulation of the original in Photoshop). Still not the best but I rushed it so you might be able to do better given some work time.

If you had the camera locked down and then placed a dark sheet on the outside of the window allowing you to catch the exact same reflection, you could subtract that in post and come up with something presentable, but of course that isn't possible where you are now.

Next time, you need to get as close to the glass as possible and have all room illumination killed which will help.

Very interesting that the wolf would come up to the window that close and check you out and it would have made a great shot. It's still a really good shot showing the window with the wolf gazing in.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bob 256; 02-24-2024 at 01:30 PM.
02-24-2024, 01:02 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My DIY solution is being perpendicular and so close to the glass (up to gentle touch, but mind focus movement) and hanging a dark sweater over the camera lens... Besides on public places, you can also switch off any interior light sources.
this hood looks professional but I am not sure if want to add this to my travel camera backpack, sometimes one has just too many stuff that isn’t used often.

Just wondering if they succeeded Removing reflections from photos taken through windows | MIT News | Massachusetts Institute of Technology

This looks promising
https://www.fotor.com/features/remove-glare-from-photo/

Last edited by mlag; 02-24-2024 at 01:09 PM.
02-24-2024, 02:19 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, thank you all for the input!

I am somewhat blown away, but, this is Pentax Forums and nicer group on the 'net I have yet to find!

I will put some effort into these solutions.. I knew at the time we were snapping pics that this was less than optimal, some turned out well, mainly because I could crop out the reflections and the subject was luckily / with some back and forth motion / in the clear.

One pic that worked from the camera with some cropping.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
02-24-2024, 05:46 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Very interesting that the wolf would come up to the window that close
If it's a place they market as "sleep with the wolves", maybe the wolves have gotten used to people being there.
02-25-2024, 03:56 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Here's my 2 cents worth
I would say your edit is worth a lot more than that. Nicely done.
02-25-2024, 02:54 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
If it's a place they market as "sleep with the wolves", maybe the wolves have gotten used to people being there.
Quite cool. I'm not sure how well I'd sleep if I had a wolf looking at me like that through the window though??? Hope the glass is extra thick.