Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2009, 06:48 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Batch converting camera dng to acr dng using acr

First of all, sorry about the confusing title... I should have deleted the "using acr" bit at the end
Hello everyone,

I've been banging my head against the wall for the past few hours trying to find some information about batch processing raw files to, well, raw files... Using acr/cs2

Here is the scoop.

I shoot in raw. What I would like to do is create a batch conversion script (i use Bridge/ACR/CS2) that will open said raw files from a folder on my SD card, batch convert them, and save them as DNG files on my hard drive. I would like to do this to accomplish a few things, such as smaller file sizes, common adjustments, etc.

Has anyone done this? When I tried to create a batch script in CS2, it recorded the movements in CS2, but not the adjustments and save (as DNG) in acr.

Does this even make any sense? I've been spinning my wheels for a few hours now and I'm not even sure if I'm making sense anymore.

If anyone somehow understands what I'm getting at, a reply would be appreciated... Even if it is a simple "Get Lightroom, it's the only way to do it." I might not drop the $300 on it, but at least I'll have an answer.

Cheers,

Maynerd

01-16-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ok, I think I have found an answer to my question.

It appears that the most logical way to accomplish what I am trying to do (without buying Lightroom) is to use Adobe DNG Converter as my basic batch processing software to get my RAW camera images (dng or pef) saved (from my SD card) as compressed DNG files on my hard drive. This saves me drive space, but now I still have to figure out how to run a batch for any images that require similar tweaking in ACR and saving the dng along the way.

I hate not having a solid workflow...
01-16-2009, 01:52 PM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Aye try this, tweak one in ACR, then from Bridge shift click all the other images you want changed, right click, develop settings, previous settings, bingo.
01-16-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I don't quite follow you. Exactly why would you want to convert from one DNG to another DNG in the first place?

Can't you just open the original DNG' from the camera straight in you photo editing software? I have the same body (K10D) as you do, and I never convert anything. Maybe I missed something? Aren't the DNG's the same regardless from where they originate?

01-16-2009, 08:25 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
follow-up

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Aye try this, tweak one in ACR, then from Bridge shift click all the other images you want changed, right click, develop settings, previous settings, bingo.
Cool, sounds simple enough. I'll give that a try. Thanks kerrowdown.

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
I don't quite follow you. Exactly why would you want to convert from one DNG to another DNG in the first place?

Can't you just open the original DNG' from the camera straight in you photo editing software? I have the same body (K10D) as you do, and I never convert anything. Maybe I missed something? Aren't the DNG's the same regardless from where they originate?
Georg,

The main difference between the DNG that comes directly out of the camera is it is uncompressed, and by converting it to a separate DNG through the adobe products (or other PP software, I assume) you can save 5-8 MB per image (depending on the size of the JPG preview you select), which adds up to free disk space quite quickly, not to mention more images per CD backup.

Cheers,

Maynerd
01-16-2009, 08:57 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
So I tried what you suggested, Kerrowdown, but just like with the batch processing, it doesn't actually save it as a new DNG, it simply applies the same settings to the original file, and then I would still have to open each and save them again.

Thanks for the reply though.

Actually, it just dawned on me that if I do what you suggested above after I've done the batch using Adobe DNG Converter, I could accomplish what I was trying to do. That'll work.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Maynerd; 01-17-2009 at 12:32 AM.
01-17-2009, 02:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Maynerd Quote
The main difference between the DNG that comes directly out of the camera is it is uncompressed, and by converting it to a separate DNG through the adobe products (or other PP software, I assume) you can save 5-8 MB per image (depending on the size of the JPG preview you select), which adds up to free disk space quite quickly, not to mention more images per CD backup.

Cheers,

Maynerd
Right, thanks, I'll take it as a tip for me too.