Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2009, 11:09 AM   #1

Best Software to Edit Out CA Problems

I'm looking to start doing PP properly, rather than just using the software which came with my GX-10. Would anyone be able to suggest a package that will allow me to edit out the CA problems I seem to have with certain telezoom lenses?

My budget doen't stretch to the full blown Photoshop CS system.

01-18-2009, 11:55 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Macca35 Quote
I'm looking to start doing PP properly, rather than just using the software which came with my GX-10. Would anyone be able to suggest a package that will allow me to edit out the CA problems I seem to have with certain telezoom lenses?

Photoshop Elements?
01-18-2009, 12:30 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Elements doesn't have a specific CA removal tool, AFAIK (my copy of Elements 5 certainly didn't, not sure about the newer versions). Corel's Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 is supposed to have a CA removal tool that works on jpegs, but I never used it during my trial period with that program. OP, if ya wanna give it a shot, Corel's program will run for 30 days before requiring a CD Key, just like the trial version of PS.
01-18-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Most of the CA removal function in photo editing programmes are not "sufficent" to remove a lot of purple CA that oozes to a thick margin. So I prefer the "replace colour" function to select the purple and replace with white or black dependong on the subject. This function is pretty much better used for bokeh Ca as well.

01-18-2009, 04:24 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Grimlock Quote
Elements doesn't have a specific CA removal tool, AFAIK (my copy of Elements 5 certainly didn't, not sure about the newer versions). Corel's Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 is supposed to have a CA removal tool that works on jpegs, but I never used it during my trial period with that program. OP, if ya wanna give it a shot, Corel's program will run for 30 days before requiring a CD Key, just like the trial version of PS.

I was thinking the RAW converter, which does.
I believe the ACR in Elements is the same on as is used on CS#
01-18-2009, 05:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Anyone tried PTLens?

I have not tried this one yet, but at $25.00 (and with a free 10 shot trial) it sure is a lot cheaper than the DXO offering.

PTLens
01-18-2009, 09:03 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I was thinking the RAW converter, which does.
I believe the ACR in Elements is the same on as is used on CS#
Well, sort of. While ACR does run under Elements, it's nerfed in comparison to the same program under CS4-the Elements version doesn't display the "Lens Correction" tab that the one in CS4 does, for starters. Otherwise, I'd think a lot of folks wouldn't need CS4 so much, if ya get my drift.

01-18-2009, 10:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

There are three reasonable fixes for chromatic aberration artifacts:

(1) selectively desaturate (turn purple stuff gray)
works for purple fringing only

(2) edge-detect-desaturate
works best for purple fringing, is potentially less disruptive than (1), and can also reduce lateral CA artifacts (red/cyan or blue/yellow fringing)

(3) magnify (stretch) the red and blue channels to align properly with the green channel
works works for lateral CA only

For zero dollars you can get the GIMP to do (1)

GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program

and add Darla's purple fringe remover script to do (2)

Purple Fringe Fix | GIMP Plugin Registry

If you need to do (3) it's best to do it at the RAW converter stage; dcraw (also free) can do this but you have to manually specify parameters so it's way harder than ACR or Lightroom (or pentax photo lab, for that matter).

Last edited by troyz; 01-18-2009 at 11:12 PM. Reason: forgot to mention ppl
01-19-2009, 06:38 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Grimlock Quote
Well, sort of. While ACR does run under Elements, it's nerfed in comparison to the same program under CS4-the Elements version doesn't display the "Lens Correction" tab that the one in CS4 does, for starters. Otherwise, I'd think a lot of folks wouldn't need CS4 so much, if ya get my drift.
Well, that does limit things, doesn't it. I didn't realize they had hobbled the ACR that much on Elements.
01-19-2009, 03:54 PM   #10
Inactive Account

lateral CA removal tool

silkypix developer studio 3 has a lateral CA removal tool, works just fine for me.

I have had some success removing purple fringing too using silkypix.
12-01-2009, 09:13 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I'm looking to start doing PP properly, rather than just using the software which came with my GX-10.
If you got the same software as Pentax users, i.e., something like Pentax Laboratory, the latter supports CA removal too. Haven't tried it but should be alright.
12-02-2009, 06:52 AM   #12

There is a really good article in one of the recent Popular Photography magazines--I think it is in November--that gives a How-To for Elements.
12-02-2009, 07:45 AM   #13
graphicgr8s

Lightroom has the same version of ACR. They just call it "Develop"
12-02-2009, 11:21 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote
I have not tried this one yet, but at $25.00 (and with a free 10 shot trial) it sure is a lot cheaper than the DXO offering.

PTLens
They charge for ptlens now! anyways it is a good manual program. I preferred to use an old copy (based on the orig and not useable on16bit files) because the new versions just do "global" corrections. The old one you could mask an area and selectively correct it. Maybe new programs have eliminated the need for this though. As an example I had a hard time using global corrections when the CA switches sides purple/gree on one side green/purple on the other. Might just be me though and not using it correctly.