Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2009, 06:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How do you frame your prints?

I'm going to be entering some photos for a local art exhibition and have two or three 19"x13" b&w landscape prints that I can't decide how to frame. Do people settle for plain white mattes and black frames, or do you have other favorites?

Last edited by Wombat; 01-18-2009 at 06:36 PM.
01-18-2009, 07:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wombat Quote
I'm going to be entering some photos for a local art exhibition and have two or three 19"x13" b&w landscape prints that I can't decide how to frame. Do people settle for plain white mattes and black frames, or do you have other favorites?
It really depends on the photo. I tend to use "supporting" matt colors and textures with frames that match. For instance, if you have a traditional landscape photo, I will use complimentary colored matting and a traditional wood decorative frame. For an image such as a negative space theme, I would use less dramatic matting and a simple aluminum frame. A very decorative frame would detract greatly from this type of image, which you NEVER want to do.

I actually do most of my matting and framing myself for enjoyment. One of my business ventures involves manufacturing wood products, so I have a woodshop I can use at will. I order pre-cut strips from my wood supplier that have the profiles already cut. This is much cheaper than ordering from a framing supplier and it's cheap enough for me that it's not worth my time to cut the profiles myself. All I do is cut and sand to size.

For metal/aluminum frames, I order pre-cut pieces from a local frame shop.
01-18-2009, 07:59 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

For B&W, I always found that a slightly off white mat worked the best. I prefer that my print is the brightest thing in the frame, so I like the mat to be a bit darker than the print. I like an "Ivory" mat over a white mat.
My preference has always been an open mat, where there is some space from the print to the mat. I like the mount and mat to be the same material.
I put a dark pewter frame around that and it makes for a very simple and elegant presentation.
01-18-2009, 08:16 PM   #4
Forum Member

Wombat,
Keep the frame simple. Sometimes an inexpensive frame from the local hobby supply works quite well. I've got to agree with navcom, you don't want the frame to "compete" with your
image.
For a black and white, I choose a black frame then, I'll do a double mat design with an off white or cream color top mat with a light grey, or neutral liner mat. I too, frame my images myself and for a small amount of cash you can pick up all the tools required. With abit of practice and after framing only a few of your own things the investment pays for itself, and it is kinda enjoyable doing it.
Good Luck.
Jeff.

01-18-2009, 08:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

here's my wall. The wall pic is of the actual prints, the linked pics are scans (with fake frames).

Nige.
01-18-2009, 08:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

When I have the time and money, I would like to consolidate my favourite photos by arranging them neatly (spaced apart and all) on an A1 drawing space, save the file, bring to a print shop and have them to print A1 size.

I will then frame this A1 size photo using a good quality wood frame and display it in my living room.
01-18-2009, 08:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Oops! I re-read your question again and I think I answered OT. Please ignore me

01-18-2009, 08:53 PM   #8
Inactive Account

HG,

How much does it cost to have them framed like that?
01-18-2009, 09:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
As always, gentlemen, practical, sound advice - thanks very much indeed. Next time I go to the mainland I'll pick up some frame-making gear. I vaguely remember doing a course in framing, back in the 60s. It wasn't that difficult, as I remember, and it'll sure beat paying the local framer $80-$100 per photo!

Stunning collection, Nige. They hang well together (as the actress said to the bishop).

One more question - do you glass them in and if so do you use non-reflective or plain glass?
01-18-2009, 09:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

One more question - do you glass them in and if so do you use non-reflective or plain glass?
I use non-reflective glass for most of mine. If it's going to a very important place, I will splurge for gallery glass, which is almost impossible to see...but it comes at a steep price.
01-18-2009, 10:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NicholasN Quote
HG,

How much does it cost to have them framed like that?
Not too much! The frames cost $20-25 (16x20). They are aluminum and very easy to open, an important attribute if using them like I do. I actually change the pictures on a semi-regular basis, they have colour prints in them at the moment. They have std glass. I'm not keen on the non-reflective glass as it seems to cut contrast. Depends on your viewing area as reflections on std glass are worse than non-reflective glass IMO. Paying the electrician to install the lights was about $250 if I recall correctly.

I cut the mat's myself. A 32x40" sheet is usually about $15. You can also get metric sizes but you need to match your frames to the mat board to ensure you get 4 mat's out of one board, otherwise you end up with bits that aren't big enough as the metric version is smaller by a few mm! Once a year my camera club does a bulk buy for our exhibition and gets them for $10 a sheet, so $2.50 a mat

To cut the mat I use a Dexter (I think that's the brand) mat cutter and "Adap-a-Rule" ruler. This thing has a channel that the mat cutter runs down, thus making sure you don't wander away from it, which can happen when using a steel ruler as a guide. I think it was about $100 a few years ago. I use a box cutter and std steel rule as a guide for cutting the big board into smaller pieces. You can use the cut outs as mat's for smaller frames as well.

Another hint to easy mat cutting is to use another piece of mat board under the piece you're cutting so the cutter blade has something to cut through easy. Under that I use a "self-healing" mat to protect the kitchen bench... and avoid the wrath of the Mrs!

Nige.
01-19-2009, 12:22 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good to get Australian dollar figures. DIY is clearly the way to go. Thanks again everyone.