Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2009, 09:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

CS4 - manual, training CDs, or wing it?

I currently use Elements 5, and, though far from being a pp expert, I am fairly comfortable with it. Still, I would like to jump to full-size Photoshop, if anything for bragging rights ( ), so I downloaded CS4, and lo and behold, the transition doesn't look completely seamless.

Anyway, because I am a faculty member at a university, I can purchase CS4 fo education, full version for $299, or get a license for $199. The difference is that the license only comes with a disk, no manual or anything else.

Now, from my previous experience Adobe manuals are nigh useless for basic learning. So, here are my questions for CS4 users (and other):
- should I bite the bullet and get the full version? Does it come with the training DVD I see mentioned occasionally, besides the manual? And if so, is the training DVD any good?
- Or should i get the license, and use the difference to buy training material elsewhere? Any suggestions on what to get?
- Should i get the license, suck it up and learn it on my own? I know that's the best way to go, but what is everyone else's experience with the steepness of the climb?
- Or should I upgrade to Elements 7, save a bundle, and fuggadaboutit? Do I really need CS4? I am a fairly basic, strictly personal/family/friends-use photographer.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks

01-23-2009, 09:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd buy the license for $200 and I'm a Gimp user. So, it seems like a no brainer to get a legit copy for 2 bills.

It's not possible to "wing it" and get even 10% of Photoshops's [or Gimp's FTM] capability out of it.

If you're buying it for "bragging rights", may I suggest just donating the license to a deserving student, seriously.

I'm not a PS user but I know there are literally thousands of FREE tutorials out there online for all image editing apps and I'd start there. That way you can pick and choose what interests you.

If you want or decide you need to purchase training materials I'd guess Scott Kelby is the Photoshop guru.

Regards,
Mike
QuoteOriginally posted by slomojoe Quote
So, here are my questions for CS4 users (and other):
- should I bite the bullet and get the full version? Does it come with the training DVD I see mentioned occasionally, besides the manual? And if so, is the training DVD any good?
- Or should i get the license, and use the difference to buy training material elsewhere? Any suggestions on what to get?
- Should i get the license, suck it up and learn it on my own? I know that's the best way to go, but what is everyone else's experience with the steepness of the climb?
- Or should I upgrade to Elements 7, save a bundle, and fuggadaboutit? Do I really need CS4? I am a fairly basic, strictly personal/family/friends-use photographer.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks
01-23-2009, 11:32 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by X Man Quote
I'd buy the license for $200 and I'm a Gimp user. So, it seems like a no brainer to get a legit copy for 2 bills.

It's not possible to "wing it" and get even 10% of Photoshops's [or Gimp's FTM] capability out of it.

I'm not a PS user but I know there are literally thousands of FREE tutorials out there online for all image editing apps and I'd start there. That way you can pick and choose what interests you.

If you want or decide you need to purchase training materials I'd guess Scott Kelby is the Photoshop guru.

Regards,
Mike
This is what I ended up doing when I moved up to CS4 last month during their Black Friday sale. I downloaded mine from Adobe, but they do include the manual in the installation files, if that helps, OP. It's like 700 pages, though. I just got Kelby's book 2 weeks ago and I'm still reading it, so I'm not ready to leave my Elements 5 install behind yet.
01-23-2009, 02:42 PM   #4
graphicgr8s

Join NAPP. Tha's all I'm gonna say about that.

01-23-2009, 02:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I'll scope the free tutorials.
01-23-2009, 03:02 PM   #6
Damn Brit

It really depends on how much PP you want to do. Don't forget, Lightroom is designed for photographers. LR and Elements make a pretty good team compared to big brother CS4 that is carrying a lot of extra baggage.
01-23-2009, 03:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
It really depends on how much PP you want to do. Don't forget, Lightroom is designed for photographers. LR and Elements make a pretty good team compared to big brother CS4 that is carrying a lot of extra baggage.
Yes, that's what i have been doing so far, LR1.4 and PE5. There are a few clear things that I need and they can't do (e.g. channel mixing for IR), and in general CS4 seems more powerful and effective at every step.

I'll ponder this some more, i guess.

01-23-2009, 03:35 PM   #8
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by slomojoe Quote
Yes, that's what i have been doing so far, LR1.4 and PE5. There are a few clear things that I need and they can't do (e.g. channel mixing for IR), and in general CS4 seems more powerful and effective at every step.

I'll ponder this some more, i guess.
I have Elements 6 but I don't know what upgrades there were between 5 and 6.
01-23-2009, 05:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Just get the license alone. Save your money.
There are many online resources to learn plus you can buy a good book or two that will give more details and depth than what the bundled manual will offer.

PS CS4 is certainly a significant upgrade over Elements. Personally I'd tell most people not to waste their time dabbling in Elements. PS CS4 runs much smoother and faster than even PS CS3. While Lightroom 2 has many photographer friendly features, there is much to recommend PS CS4. The integration of the 2 programs is much better now compared to Lightroom 1.4 (which on hindsight seemed like a rushed and not quite complete product). Lightroom 2 is much better than Lightroom 1.4 so I'd recommend an upgrade here. Even if you don't use Lightroom, there are plenty of PS CS4 features that are catered for photography.
01-24-2009, 01:26 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To learn CS3, I took classes at the local community college. I found the classes to be extremely helpful - I ended up taking night classes for 2 semesters to learn Photoshop.