Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2009, 01:22 PM   #16
Veteran Member

high dynamic range is a technique used to capture an image that has more dynamic range than the sensor can capture

anything else is "artistic interpretation"

true high dynamic range images dont even look like HDR until you start inspecting it closely and realize that "this image has alot of dynamic range".

most people who know nothing about photography will not be quick to appreciate a well done HDR image

however most will be very quick to notice the kind of "HDR" that is really people going overboard with the lighting sliders.

and if there is an "outline glow", then thats a very big sign that the artist went bananas.

EDIT:

i would also like to point out that alot of the HDR images are really TOO much dynamic range

by taking exposures that are not part of the full light spectrum, you end up with a photo that has more dynamic range than our eyes would otherwise see, and, personaly, i do not believe that such images should be called high dynamic range, maybe HYPER dynamic range?

Last edited by Gooshin; 01-29-2009 at 02:41 PM.
01-30-2009, 12:59 AM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
most people who know nothing about photography will not be quick to appreciate a well done HDR image
Funny, I found it to be the other way around.

And as for HDR looking natural, the human mind is more sensitive to human faces than landscapes. Do a HDR with people in the image and take notes.
01-30-2009, 04:08 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by denisv Quote
Funny, I found it to be the other way around.

And as for HDR looking natural, the human mind is more sensitive to human faces than landscapes. Do a HDR with people in the image and take notes.
I have done portraits as a tone mapped/HDR result and found them to be much much more subtle than anything such as a landscape or building, etc. Perhaps because the environment was much more "controlled". The results look just like a well balanced single exposed photograph.

Jason
01-30-2009, 05:29 AM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
I have done portraits as a tone mapped/HDR result and found them to be much much more subtle than anything such as a landscape or building, etc. Perhaps because the environment was much more "controlled". The results look just like a well balanced single exposed photograph.

Jason
I find that H.D.R in portraits are usually over done a lot making the subject artificial looking. Just wondering if anyone has some good pics of people done this way.
Landscapes I find people seem to go for the Cibrachrome look.

01-30-2009, 07:02 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I agree with most here about the overuse of HDR techniques. I think it all comes down to just that...it's a technique...just like using a filter or a particular lighting technique.

As has been said, when done properly, it can really make a picture "pop". When done incorrectly, it destroys it. The same can be said of a filter. Using a circular polarizer in the wrong circumstances can yield a disaster just as easily.

For me personally, HDR is not a "style" of photography...it's just another tool you can use when needed.
01-30-2009, 09:05 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by navcom Quote
I agree with most here about the overuse of HDR techniques. I think it all comes down to just that...it's a technique...just like using a filter or a particular lighting technique.

As has been said, when done properly, it can really make a picture "pop". When done incorrectly, it destroys it. The same can be said of a filter. Using a circular polarizer in the wrong circumstances can yield a disaster just as easily.

For me personally, HDR is not a "style" of photography...it's just another tool you can use when needed.
Agreed, 100%.

Jason
01-30-2009, 11:46 AM   #22
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote

Jason
I hope you don't mind me asking, but why you would need to use High Dynamic Range in a controlled environment?

01-30-2009, 11:57 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by denisv Quote
I hope you don't mind me asking, but why you would need to use High Dynamic Range in a controlled environment?
i'm surprised you asked that question since you brought up the notion of photographing people in HDR

which would require even more setup than landscape shots.
01-30-2009, 01:31 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
i'm surprised you asked that question since you brought up the notion of photographing people in HDR

which would require even more setup than landscape shots.
That is exactly my answer.

AND

I experiment, like most people do.

Also, controlled, as in...in decent or more normal light, not shot across random light patterns such found in a countryside or across a city scape.

Jason
01-31-2009, 05:21 AM   #25

Not to blow my own trumpet or anything but these are HDR and this was what HDR was made for.

I hope these don't make anyone vomit.

01-31-2009, 05:22 AM   #26

Double post removed
01-31-2009, 10:52 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Andy,
Very nice use of HDR. Looks very "eye" realistic. Very nice series ... sets a mood that allows the viewer to almost feel like they are standing in the caves.
01-31-2009, 11:22 AM   #28
racinsince55

I don't like over sharpened, over processed or HDR images.

HDR, particularly, gives a very phony look to a photo.
01-31-2009, 04:37 PM   #29
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by navcom Quote

My thoughts as well.I recently purchase two books off Amazon regarding HDR Photgraphy so i can improve what little skill i had in that arena and for me having taken the interest in HDR it opened my knowledge base with regards to Photgraphy aswell as the tools my camera has bulit in to it andhow to use them. HEAPS!!!!...
I advise everyone to take a walk down the track to HDR for a wee spell and see if it doesnt do the same for them also..

Photgraphy is an art (for me) whether used to take landscape Pics, Portraits, or Weddings...
As an artist may be good at Oils, another in Watercolour or Sketching each has a following and i cant see why anyone can knock any as being "Kakka" as the greeks would say....

Some HDR shots do look artistic and have taken talent to produce as some Good Photographers do with a landscape scene or a Portrait..
Each to their own, no-one owns the rights to how Photography should be used or displayed..
My two Bobs worth anyhow..
CHeers
02-01-2009, 05:32 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Examples of HDR styles

Here are some examples of how, in my opinion, HDR can be used well, or overused...again, depends on your own taste as to what you prefer.

Southeastern corner of the Parthenon, regular exposure from bracketed series, no HDR/tonemapping applied - jpeg.

Same photo, from bracketed series, HDR/tonemapping effect applied in what I consider a more natural way.

Same photo from same bracketed series, HDR/tonemapping effect applied heavily, more dramatic effect (not my taste however.)

I have many more since I was out today with camera and did nothing but shoot bracketed sets for purpose of playing around with HDR/tonemapping. Perhaps I will add others soon.

Jason