Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2009, 06:11 PM   #1
Forum Member

HDR(s) whats your opinion? Too many/ too little?

This is new to me and I did a quick search on this forum and there aren’t any threads about this or I might have missed it.

From the many other forums I’ve read, it concluded this: some like it, others think it's bad, some are ok with it as long as they’re not overdone.

Wonder what people's thought about this?

High dynamic range imaging - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

01-28-2009, 06:54 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try searching the forum on "High Dynamic Range" - you should get a bunch of hits. My preference is to just barely make the shadow details visible, and the highlight detail not quite burnt out. I dislike overdone HDR images, where the shadows are too bright to be real.
01-28-2009, 07:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

there are actually quite a few threads about HDR. The search feature on the site is just that useless...
01-28-2009, 08:02 PM   #4
Forum Member

I've said this before, but I think HDR is a great tool when used properly. Like when there is a lot of bright color with other "interesting" features/subjects that would be lost to shadow if you exposed for the bright area.

BUT, most HDRs I've seen fall into one of two groups. 1) Boring or poorly composed photos being processed to try to look artistic or better than they actually are(nothing new here, I can't imagine the countless hours spent trying to polish turds). and 2) Well composed and interesting images that have had all the drama/character washed away and thus been ruined.

There are a few I have liked, mostly in churches and a few landscapes with interesting skies, but most seem to give too much to look at, taking away from the subject and the art of the photo.

01-28-2009, 08:11 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
there are actually quite a few threads about HDR. The search feature on the site is just that useless...
But for a better search,

QuoteQuote:
Using Google to search PentaxForums.com maintains all of Google's great search engine flexibility: ability to specify search terms shorter than 4 characters, using boolean logic (AND and OR between search terms), specify phrases (by enclosing them within quotes), etc. You may even restrict the search to individual forums on our site. To do so:

* Go to Google
* Enter the keyword(s) or phrase(s) for which you wish to search
* Add to the end of the Google search field site:Welcome to PentaxForums.com- The internet's first full-scale Pentax community and forum! *
* Search!

* To search individual forums, simply replace the above Welcome to PentaxForums.com- The internet's first full-scale Pentax community and forum! with the URL for the individual forum. For example, to search the Pentax SLR Lens Discussion forum only, use Pentax SLR Lens Discussion - PentaxForums.com. You may find and copy forum-specific URLs while viewing the main forum by right-clicking the forum link and selecting Copy Link Location (Firefox) or Copy Shortcut (Internet Explorer).
the above from this forum page...https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/site-suggestions-errors-help/314-explanat...-features.html

The easiest is to just type this into the google search bar

QuoteQuote:
siteentaxforums.com
followed by your search query. eg

QuoteQuote:
siteentaxforums.com hdr
hit search and watch how many hits google pulls up. Then click on the one/s that interest you and you will get to the forum page/s

EDIT OOPS! it should read site: pentaxforums.com but without the space between : and p but when I type : followed by p the forum editor sees it as a smilie!!

I can't find any way to turn this off, can some one advise me and then I can edit the post to give the correct lines.
01-28-2009, 09:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I agree with Canada and Jak. Unfortunately, most of the HDR I see reminds me of the latest video game graphics. The HDR I like best is when you can't tell its HDR. Anyone can go wild with tone mapping and produce the typical surreal HDR images that are the fad now, but I think that will pass when the novelty wears off.
01-28-2009, 09:49 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
I agree with Canada and Jak. Unfortunately, most of the HDR I see reminds me of the latest video game graphics. The HDR I like best is when you can't tell its HDR. Anyone can go wild with tone mapping and produce the typical surreal HDR images that are the fad now, but I think that will pass when the novelty wears off.

I have been beating my head against the wall trying to make just this, a believable HDR image . Under Ideal conditions where the capture can be controlled, I think HDR imagery is terriffic to emote a certain feel or surreal mood. Otherwise it's just another trick in the photogs bag o' tricks.

01-28-2009, 10:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
True enough...

One can use google to search a specific site without much effort, just enter "site:www.the-site-you-want-to-search.com" followed by a space, followed by your search terms. It looks like this...
Code:
site:www.pentaxforums.com hdr
and that search does indeed return many results for this topic...

Now, back on topic with my opinion... I appreciate HDR that's done very subtly to represent a scene with very high dynamic range accurately, but this HDR would have to be mentioned by the photographer for me to know it was used at all... it's that subtle.
01-28-2009, 11:20 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for correcting and introducing me to how search better. It's very helpful.

Before I heard about HDR, for some time I knew about auto bracketing and layering masking multiple different exposed images in photoshop CS (as compared to using HDR tool in CS2 or CS3, etc).

Just wondering (to the pros out there):

1. Is this method classify as HDR imaging? I do this mostly in landscape shots similar.
2. How does this compare to using a GND filter? Coz I seen some non-process images using GND filters (claimed, which I have second thoughts about) looking awesome-o.

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
I appreciate HDR that's done very subtly to represent a scene with very high dynamic range accurately, but this HDR would have to be mentioned by the photographer for me to know it was used at all... it's that subtle.
Totally agree with using HDR tags if it's apply, as it is unfair for photos without HDR but with similar dyanmics range.
01-29-2009, 01:15 AM   #10
Forum Member

I don't think I've ever seen a HDR image that didn't make me want to vomit.
01-29-2009, 02:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Search function is fine

The search function is actually quite useful if you use it correctly. If you add an asterisk after the term "HDR" (since it is too small to search those three letters), you will find oodles of threads about this topic already. Simply type HDR* and then search....voila!

By the way, check out this photographers' example of what he does with his HDR technique...doesn't look so vomit inducing to me.

Maciej Duczynski photography - lonelywolf, forografia HDR, high dynamic range...

Jason
01-29-2009, 07:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

HDR techniques can be used to successfully recover some of the extended dynamic range of a scene as perceived by the human eye but which a DSLR cannot capture in one exposure. With restraint, a very realistic rendition can be produced which is not garish, cartoonish, or vomit inducing.
01-29-2009, 08:39 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote
With restraint, a very realistic rendition can be produced which is not garish, cartoonish, or vomit inducing.
Yes, we should all strive not to induce vomit with our photographs.
01-29-2009, 08:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I have to agree in that I mostly don't care for HDR. Most the time I am impressed with it is when I can't tell an image is HDR. Then once I am told I can see the intricate detail and care taken by the artist to get a great image that didn't scream HDR but rather a well done photograph.

I have never given a try, myself, to true HDR, but what I've enjoyed is exposure blending (i.e. no tone mapping). I've been using the program enfuse to blend a bracketed set of exposures to create a product similar to HDR but a little more natural looking. I'm not sure exposure blending better, but it does seem easier. The program, enfuse, is really good for this.
01-29-2009, 12:22 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
The search function is actually quite useful if you use it correctly. If you add an asterisk after the term "HDR" (since it is too small to search those three letters), you will find oodles of threads about this topic already. Simply type HDR* and then search....voila!

By the way, check out this photographers' example of what he does with his HDR technique...doesn't look so vomit inducing to me.

Maciej Duczynski photography - lonelywolf, forografia HDR, high dynamic range...

Jason
That's exactly what I was trying to describe. You don't realize it is HDR - it looks natural. The dark places are still dark, but you can see detail and the bright places are the same - still bright, but displaying detail. The first image in Norway 06 epitomizes well done HDR for me. Very subtly done and a lovely image.