Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2009, 12:47 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Selections in PS3

A basic question, but it is a puzzler to me and I suspect I missed a basic technique in Photoshop 101...

In Painter X, if I want to overlay (mask) a specific part of the image with another part (for example, handy for removing the proverbial telephone from the top of the subject's head) I can use any selection tool, e.g., the lasso, select that part of the image, then drag that selection"outline" to another point (say the adjacent blue sky), copy/paste and then move the new selection back to perfectly mask the original outlined section. It may be crude, but it works well and very quickly... however, I can't seem to get the same functionality in PS3 without a more complicated layer/masking process. Am I missing something in PS, or is this just an odd feature in Painter?
Brian

02-05-2009, 10:56 AM   #2
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
A basic question, but it is a puzzler to me and I suspect I missed a basic technique in Photoshop 101...

In Painter X, if I want to overlay (mask) a specific part of the image with another part (for example, handy for removing the proverbial telephone from the top of the subject's head) I can use any selection tool, e.g., the lasso, select that part of the image, then drag that selection"outline" to another point (say the adjacent blue sky), copy/paste and then move the new selection back to perfectly mask the original outlined section. It may be crude, but it works well and very quickly... however, I can't seem to get the same functionality in PS3 without a more complicated layer/masking process. Am I missing something in PS, or is this just an odd feature in Painter?
Brian
What about the Clone tool? Or make a selection and "paste into" or copy to a new layer. You can use your preferred tool to make the selection but then need to copy and paste. You can drag a selection also but make sure you have changed a background layer to an actual layer.