Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2007, 10:30 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Opening bad, corrupted, or unreadable RAW files

First, this is not a thread about preventing this problem from occurring, because it isn't a problem in that sense. It isn't about the quality or brand of card, isn't about my tendency to completely fill or not fill a card while using it, etc., so this thread is not the place for that advice. Thanks in advance.

I've got a single PEF which I cannot open with my computer. (It works out to exactly one hiccup, or one burp in 4.5 months which is a far better record for my heavily used camera than for myself. ) Out of sheer curiosity--not because the image is needed--how can I get that RAW file open and archived again as a DNG? I used the k10 to develop the file in camera to JPEG, so the camera can read it, but neither Adobe products nor Pentax software can open it. If it matters, I can read the JPEG that was created.

What should I try? Software, voodoo, other recommendations?

04-01-2007, 04:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdavis Quote
First, this is not a thread about preventing this problem from occurring, because it isn't a problem in that sense. It isn't about the quality or brand of card, isn't about my tendency to completely fill or not fill a card while using it, etc., so this thread is not the place for that advice. Thanks in advance.

I've got a single PEF which I cannot open with my computer. (It works out to exactly one hiccup, or one burp in 4.5 months which is a far better record for my heavily used camera than for myself. ) Out of sheer curiosity--not because the image is needed--how can I get that RAW file open and archived again as a DNG? I used the k10 to develop the file in camera to JPEG, so the camera can read it, but neither Adobe products nor Pentax software can open it. If it matters, I can read the JPEG that was created.

What should I try? Software, voodoo, other recommendations?
Hi beth

did you try the free DNG converter from adobe?
Adobe - Digital Negative (DNG)
put the file in the converter and see if it will open after the pef is converted to DNG

If this doesn't work, make a copy of the file for save keeping and with the copy of the origanal try to change the .pef extension to some other extension, and then back again.
sometimes it works in jpgs but never tried it with raw files.

good luck and let me know how you make out

cheers

randy
04-03-2007, 06:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Randy, I tried both of those things you mentioned (filenames, and the DNG converter), but still can't get the file to open. Any other ideas?

Oh, and thanks for reminding me of the DNG converter. Once upon a time I watched it in action with jfdavis (who had a DSLR long before I got mine), and had completely forgotten about it!
04-04-2007, 02:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdavis Quote
Randy, I tried both of those things you mentioned (filenames, and the DNG converter), but still can't get the file to open. Any other ideas?

Oh, and thanks for reminding me of the DNG converter. Once upon a time I watched it in action with jfdavis (who had a DSLR long before I got mine), and had completely forgotten about it!
Hi Beth

finding any information on repairing raw files is difficult and .pef is impossible

the only other thing I can think of is to try as many .pef raw conversion programs as possble... try to shorten the file name if it is long (long shot but sometimes windows or macs don't like really long names)
otherwise, just try to rename it .dng and see what happens.

sorry is am not of much help, but good luck!

randy