Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2009, 08:08 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
PEF vs DNG

As I am exploring my shiny new K20D I am noticing the 2 RAW formats that can be used.

And I am wondering if there is any (noticeable) advantage in using the uncompressed DNG format over the (albeit lossless) compression scheme used in the PEF raw files?

While the size difference is somewhat negated by the cheap price of SDHC cards I don't want to waste space and time (bigger files, longer processing) using a format that will not show any noticeable improvement.

02-25-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

There have been many discussions on these forums about it, but for me, I didn't see a noticeable difference.

My own workflow: I shoot in PEF for the slightly smaller files, and ultimately I use Adobe's DNG converter to convert them to DNG (further compressed but still lossless) for processing. I've mostly chosen the DNG because of the ability to write metadata to the format (the PEF's are archived on an external hard-drive) and because Adobe Products can store the processed information from ACR or Lightroom that can be used for the thumbnail and previews in other software.
02-25-2009, 12:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Riktar Quote
As I am exploring my shiny new K20D I am noticing the 2 RAW formats that can be used.

And I am wondering if there is any (noticeable) advantage in using the uncompressed DNG format over the (albeit lossless) compression scheme used in the PEF raw files?
so far PEF is supported by more raw converters... it might not be a factor if you are using LR/ACR, but if you are for example using C1 then .DNG support is not fullly implemented there neither for native .DNG nor for converted .DNG files...
02-25-2009, 01:21 PM   #4

I, too, shoot in PEF (for the smaller file size) and convert to DNG later (for the device independance).

I have noted that convrted DNGs are smaller than the PEF files, which in turn are smaller than DNGs created the my K20D.

02-25-2009, 02:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
so far PEF is supported by more raw converters...
I doubt that's true any more. In fact, one of the nice things about DNG is that it is often supported for a new camera model *immediately*, before applications get around to implementing support for the native RAW format of the camera.

But really, if you're using an application that doesn't support both, you should probably be asking if that's an application you really want to be sticking with - it would seem hopelessly behind the times.
02-25-2009, 02:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I second that which was said in the beginning of the second post...There are so many threads about this beaten to death subject. All one has to do is explore the search function, make a pot a pot of coffee and read for a few hours.

Or, to save you this intellectual stimuli, the short answer is "no".

Jason
02-25-2009, 06:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I doubt that's true any more.
Let us count may be ? can you name a software that completely supports .DNG, but does not support or has a crippled support for example of K20D .PEF ? please...

I can tell you immediately that .DNG support is crippled in C1 for both native and converted .DNG files from Pentax, Bibble4 does not support converted .DNG files, Bibble5 does not support either - but while they promise .PEF support they say about .DNG - " I don't know if it will make it into the first release of Bibble 5 or not. " (c) Colleen of Bibble

Now your turn.

PS: quoting FAQ from DxO

"...DxO Optics Pro does not accept either files already processed by another program, nor its own previously-processed files (including DNG format ones)..."

Last edited by deejjjaaaa; 02-25-2009 at 06:40 PM.
02-25-2009, 06:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
it would seem hopelessly behind the times.
Mark, once I see your name I immediately guess whether your post will be about how good DA40/2.8 is or about virtues of Abobe LR which completely lags behind those "hopeless" converters in demosaicing department.
02-25-2009, 09:51 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I notice a distinct turqoise shift when I convert from PEF to DNG. Any thoughts on that?

Is there a smaller file size lossless format I can use for those images I want to move over from Lightroom or RT to Neat Image or the GIMP to work on, than TIFF, which tends to 53 megabyte files/ On a 30 gig hard drive, that is an issue.
02-26-2009, 07:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sodbuster Quote
On a 30 gig hard drive, that is an issue.
if you want to work w/ a full resolution, 48bit (3x16) image outside of your rawconverter there is not so much that you can do about that... buy a bigger HDD.
02-26-2009, 11:21 AM   #11
Inactive Account

A better solution might be an FAQ.
02-26-2009, 11:22 AM   #12
Inactive Account

I understand that. Now, for workflow purposes, and not wanting to confuse genuine 'negatives' with ones I've tinkered with, what do people suggest?
02-26-2009, 03:21 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I shoot RAW using the PEF format. It is the native Pentax format and produces smaller files on the SD card. I then put a copies of the PEF RAW files on my Backup Harddrive as an archive. From there, I import the PEF files on the Backup Harddrive to my workdrive as DNG files in Lightroom. This gives a further lossless compression and keeps my "digital negatives" separate from my processed LR negatives. I know, the files in LR aren't really changed, but all you need to do is accidently erase them once with an ill-chosen LR command and you will appreciate why I do what I do.

Last edited by mithrandir; 02-26-2009 at 03:23 PM. Reason: typo and additional clarification
02-26-2009, 10:11 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
Let us count may be ? can you name a software that completely supports .DNG, but does not support or has a crippled support for example of K20D .PEF ? please...
No, all the software I'm familiar with supports both. I'll take your word for it there are still some stragglers out there. But I would observe that when the K20D first came out, programs that support DNG supported DNG from the K20D immediately, even though they didn't support PEF from the new model for weeks or months. Same with all other new models. So as far as I am concerned, it's a wash in general. But if your favorite program doesn't support one format or the other, then that's all that matters.
02-26-2009, 10:13 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sodbuster Quote
I notice a distinct turqoise shift when I convert from PEF to DNG. Any thoughts on that?
If you see any difference whatsoever, then something is wrong with your software.