Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2009, 12:50 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bibble vs. Rawtherapee

I know there are lots of threads on what the best raw processor is, but I'd like to talk about the distinctions between the linux version of Bibble and Rawtherapee. I am using Linux, so from a commercial, proprietary, closed source perspective, these are the two best (only?) choices for an efficient workflow. The other FLOSS things I've tried like rawstudio, ufraw, etc seem to be okay for one image, but are either lacking some features, have a really bad ui, or are really meant to work with one image at a time.

I am looking for specific stuff, for example, Bibble has a nice feature that allows you to add the image to multiple processing queues at once so you can make a jpg for the web and 16-bit tiff at essentially the same time. As far as I know, you cannot do this in Rawtherapee 2.4RC. You have to go into the preferences and change it there, so it uses that setting for the processing queue until I go back in the preferences and change it again. So Bibble gets a +1 for the multiple processing queues.

I'm essentially trying to decide whether or not to buy Bibble, because I like the workflow, but I am scared of the de-mosaic filter artifacts that it's output can have. It doesn't seem to be as good at this as Rawtherapee and from what I am reading, is particularly bad with pef files. I guess that's a +1 for Rawtherapee on that issue.

I've been playing with both, but since I am rather new to this, I don't think I know all the questions to ask. For those that know both, are there any other features that one does better than the other?