Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2009, 07:47 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
opening RAW files in GIMP--help!

I've installed GIMP to give it a try again, but when I try to open up a RAW file (DNG), it shows up on the screen as a tiny little picture that's too small for me to do anything with. When I open a JPG file, I have no problems at all.

Can anybody enlighten me as to what's going on?

Thanks!
Heather

03-02-2009, 07:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Does GIMP handle RAW files? It seems like it is opening up the preview JPG thumbnail for the RAW file, and not converting it at all.
03-02-2009, 08:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I think you need to use the UFRaw plug-in to open PEF files in GIMP.
03-02-2009, 11:47 PM   #4
Inactive Account

What you need is an ufraw gimp plugin.
You can download it from ufraw sourceforge page UFRaw - Home
If you are on Windows get the installer executable from the download & install page and run it, it will install both standalone ufraw and gimp plugin.
If you are on Linux, ufraw is avaiable in package managers of all modern linux distributions.

03-03-2009, 04:10 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK--I downloaded UFRaw, but now I have another problem. I can get my RAW images to open up fine via UFRaw viewer (after starting up GIMP), but I can't get them onto the main GIMP screen so that I can use the toolbox and layers capabilities.

This is getting so frustrating!

Never mind--I figured it out!

Heather

Last edited by heatherslightbox; 03-03-2009 at 04:32 PM.
03-03-2009, 05:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I haven't used GIMP in a while, but I think you just save the raw file in UFRAawand it'll open automatically in GIMP. You may have to do something in the UFRaw settings for it to automate.
03-04-2009, 12:01 AM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 0xDEADBEEF Quote
What you need is an ufraw gimp plugin.
If you are on Linux, ufraw is avaiable in package managers of all modern linux distributions.
0xDEADBEEF,

Since you're a coder, are you up for a little challenge? I like ufraw, but I think that it's highlight handling could be better. Ufraw does not use the built-in highlight recovery options available in dcraw. (that is, the -H 3 to 9 options). I've started a little discussion on the ufraw open forum, but I've not yet gained the info I need.

I often shoot high DR, scenes, like rocky seashores. Areas of breaking water just block out to blown white in ufraw and in-cam jpeg. However, using dcraw or digikam, which implements the dcraw highlight handling, I seem to get much more pleasing detail in the water.

Well, I've been perusing the ufraw sources, and I'm wondering if the dcraw highlight recovery routine could be implemented in the dcraw API that ufraw uses. Maybe making it accessible by a -H parameter when starting ufraw. I used to code C and assembly for recreation, but haven't done any coding for about 10 years.

Are you interested in taking a look? Maybe not! I'm going to potter with it, but I could take a month to do what you might accomplish in an evening. Anyway, it's just an idea - give it some thought?

Paul
03-05-2009, 04:08 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Hunt Quote
0xDEADBEEF,

Since you're a coder, are you up for a little challenge? I like ufraw, but I think that it's highlight handling could be better. Ufraw does not use the built-in highlight recovery options available in dcraw. (that is, the -H 3 to 9 options). I've started a little discussion on the ufraw open forum, but I've not yet gained the info I need.
Paul
Aha! That was you! I have been following with interest as I agree that DCRAW handles highlight recovery better but I am truly sold on ufraw-batch so I'd love to see your ideas implemented.

03-05-2009, 05:36 AM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
Aha! That was you! I have been following with interest as I agree that DCRAW handles highlight recovery better but I am truly sold on ufraw-batch so I'd love to see your ideas implemented.
Yes, it was I. As I mentioned, my coding is really rusty, and the ufraw code is full of dynamic data structures and pointers to pointers, etc. I've made a start. The highlight rebuilding code is all there, it's a matter (I assume) of plugging it in to the right points. If I get anywhere, I'll try submitting a patch.

Recent digikam builds implement more dcraw features like highlight recovery and CA correction, using the raw library and openMP. When version 9.5 for KDE3 is stable, I'll see if it does all I want and then maybe not bother about ufraw any further. The difference in the images produced by digikam and ufraw can be quite significant. You can do batch processing with digikam, but not from the command line.

I would really prefer the ufraw project to concentrate on high-quality images and not bother so much with stuff like lensfun. I'd like to see better highlight handling, ability to save custom WB settings, some decent sharpening, and thumbnails in the image chooser. But that is not my call

Paul
03-05-2009, 11:18 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, the reason I use Rawtherapee and not UFRaw is for RT's much better highlight handling. RT has recently released a 2.4 Release Candidate. Check it out. Only thing RT lacks for me is Dark Frame Subtraction which is why I use UFRaw for astrophotography still.

Jack
03-06-2009, 02:57 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Yes, the reason I use Rawtherapee and not UFRaw is for RT's much better highlight handling. RT has recently released a 2.4 Release Candidate. Check it out. Only thing RT lacks for me is Dark Frame Subtraction which is why I use UFRaw for astrophotography still.

Jack
I am foaming at the mouth to get started with RT as I spoke to Gabor a couple of times and have been allowed to include it on the PCLinuxOS Digital Photography Edition LiveCD in the past. Sadly, RT 2.4RC seems to have a library issue with my current distro so I am waiting to see if that is resolved.

Mike
03-07-2009, 07:25 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Hunt Quote
0xDEADBEEF,

Hi Paul,
I looked at the code shortly and it seems that ufraw does not use dcraw's main() it just cherry picks series of dcraw functions to decode the image.

I think the good news is that their modified dcraw.cc still contains the highlight variable and everything that is neeeded by highlight recovery but ufraw UI needs to be modified to allow selection of one of 0-9 H modes and then more processing needs to be added, probably to dcraw_finalize_interpolate.

I think best bet is to add official feature request in UFRaw sourceforge feature tracker.
03-07-2009, 07:50 PM   #13
Forum Member

Thanks Dominik. I had a go at doing just that, but the results were not promising. I left the GUI well alone. I modded the configuration routines to allow a --rebuild=x command line option. This sets a highlight parameter to an integer from 3 to 9. I also added a highlight variable into the ufraw conf data structure. I created a function called rebuild_highlights_INDI() in dcraw_indi.c (pulled from dcraw.cc), and called this function from dcraw_finalize_interpolate() and dcraw_finalize_shrink(). Result: no visible difference to the image.

Either I've done something wrong, or the highlight handling in ufraw somehow counteracts the dcraw method.

I'll submit a feature request. I'm surprised this hasn't arisen before - to my eyes the standard dcraw highlight rebuilding is much better than the ufraw methods. I can't really devote more time to solving this.

Regards, Paul