Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2009, 10:32 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
*** warning *** caution *** attention ***

A word of caution to those upgrading and wanting to reload EXIF data to get their formerly "unknown lens" info replaced.

Two nights ago I merrily dispatched LR2.3 to update all my "unknowns" and when it finished I had 3200+ photos missing keywords. Not a happy camper when I realized it last night, lemme tell ya. Luckily I was smart and had a backup of the catalog only a day old so I was able to bring the keywords back.

DO NOT blindly use the Metadata -> Read Metadata from Files pulldown or right-click function if you are keywording, colorcoding or rating your photos! It will remove all this info from the catalog.

For your DNG files use the Update DNG Previews & Metadata option. This will preserve your keywords and other information.

However, the "Update DNG" function won't work on PEF and JPG images so you will have to use the "Read Metadata" option for those. What I did (am still doing) is going through all my PEF and JPG files and ...
a) Select those with identical keywords and same lens used.
b) Copy the keywords to the clipboard.
c) Run "Read Metadata from Files"
d) Use the filter to find the "new" lens and reselect the photos.
e) Paste the keywords back to the files.
It's slow, it's tedious, it sucks. But it works.

03-06-2009, 12:22 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
a) Select those with identical keywords and same lens used.
b) Copy the keywords to the clipboard.
c) Run "Read Metadata from Files"
I'm not exactly sure I understand how LR works with metadata. From my limited understanding, though, it is something like this:

1. Upon import, metadata are copied from EXIF into the catalog
2. Optionally, metadata can be written into .xmp sidecar files (1 per image) [Write Metadata to Files]
3. Optionally, metadata can be copied back into the catalog [Read Metadata from Files]

#3 is meant to be used in conjunction with #2 and a manipulation whatsoever with the sidecars (like geotagging etc.). If you use #3 w/o #2 then you are in the mess you are in right now.

AFAIK. Be warned: I can be totally wrong!!

BTW: If I'm right, then LR misses an option to read or write metadata from/to EXIFs.
03-06-2009, 01:27 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suggest another solution that I have not tested yet. I believe that before you do the "read metadata from files" you have to make sure that the current metadata is saved to the file.
03-06-2009, 04:22 PM   #19
Veteran Member

falconeye: What I observed (to my dismay and heartburn) was that upon re-reading the EXIF on files already imported that the keywords were wiped from the catalog.

ManuH: I scoured the preferences/settings in LR2 and couldn't find anything that would affect how it handles EXIF on DNG files. The only thing I see is an option to include develop settings in JPG/TIFF/PSD and an option to automatically write changes to XMP.

My personal feeling is overwriting keywords created in LR is a bug. But then again, I just watched 3200 photos lose their keywords and my opinions are a bit tainted presently.

03-06-2009, 05:36 PM   #20
Veteran Member

The Mods should move this thread to Post Processing and Software.
03-06-2009, 06:56 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
The Mods should move this thread to Post Processing and Software.
I wasn't gonna say anything but since u ask for a move... i hate how things r so organized here to the point of becoming so boring and slow. I hate DP but i don't like to go to many sub-forums to find something interresting. Just my 2 cents :P
03-06-2009, 08:32 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vitalsax Quote
I wasn't gonna say anything but since u ask for a move... i hate how things r so organized here to the point of becoming so boring and slow. I hate DP but i don't like to go to many sub-forums to find something interresting. Just my 2 cents :P
But seriously, what has news of a Lightroom upgrade got to do with Pentax News and Rumours? I don't see the relevance.
03-06-2009, 09:32 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Original Poster
But seriously, what has news of a Lightroom upgrade got to do with Pentax News and Rumours? I don't see the relevance.
you're right lets ask for a sub-forum for the PMA 2009 news

03-06-2009, 10:11 PM   #24
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why only for K20 users?
03-07-2009, 12:02 AM   #25
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by levelred Quote
Why only for K20 users?
does the k10d still taking pictures? :P I could only test with the k20d raw files. Sorry
03-07-2009, 12:44 AM   #26
Damn Brit

Moved to Post Processing and Software.

Denis, thanks for speaking up.
Just in case you didn't know, you can report threads like this by clicking on the little red flag in bottom left hand corner of a post. That way the mods can respond quicker.
03-07-2009, 08:06 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
falconeye: What I observed (to my dismay and heartburn) was that upon re-reading the EXIF on files already imported that the keywords were wiped from the catalog.
Venturi, this is what I said but you may have gotten it wrong.

AFAIK, there is NO such thing as "re-reading the EXIF"!

If you "read metadata from files", then only metadata written into .xmp sidecars are read. I.e., everything in the catalog and the EXIFs will be lost.

If I'm correct, first "writing metadata to files" (creating the .xmp sidecars) would solve your problem.