Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2009, 07:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
LR/PP experts...need some help please..

I took a photo in Dec. that I really like and would like to use for purposes of passing QC of one of the stock agencies; yesterday I rcvd word that it didn't pass due to "purple fringing." This shot was taken with the 50mm and the aperture was wide open; additionally there is quite a bit of contrasting elements in the image, so PF is definitely a possibility (though I didn't notice first time through LR).

After looking at the original image again, I went back to LR to try and identify and mitigate.

The newly edited pic (full size jpg) is here:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3586/3351618362_13cc1f3ee4_o.jpg

Would somebody/anybody mind taking a look and letting me know what you see?

If PF/CA still exists, is there any way to fix or would I be better off just going B&W with this one and/or simply enjoy it "as is" and forget about stock use?

Thanks in advance!

03-13-2009, 07:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Have you had a look at this software?

PTLens

I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to soon. At the price it seems a bargain and it does offer a 25 try test period.

Alternately, you could try reducing the saturation of purple leaning colors slightly in LR to see if that helps.

Rob
03-13-2009, 08:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote
Have you had a look at this software?

PTLens

I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to soon. At the price it seems a bargain and it does offer a 25 try test period.

Alternately, you could try reducing the saturation of purple leaning colors slightly in LR to see if that helps.

Rob
Thanks, Rob. Will try PTLens out. And to your suggestion, yes, I'm playing around with lowering the saturation of the blue/purple/magenta channels to see if this helps.

As I've taken a closer look at things in the original file, I do see some purple fringing in the bokeh on the lower portions of the OOF drums as well as in the OOF areas where the dark portion of a jersey meets the red portion of the jersey sleeve.

Not having dealt with this issue (or perhaps not having it brought to my attention), this is a good experience. Once I get PTLens installed and have a chance to give it a go, I'll report back.

Meanwhile, to others lurking or actively engaged with this thread, I'm still open to any/all thoughts/suggestions on this matter.
03-13-2009, 09:33 AM   #4
jlp
Forum Member

Lou,

This would be a difficult one given the reflection of the red drum body onto the chrome. As I posted elsewhere in this forum, here are a tutorial and PS actions to deal with PF.; I think you will find them more useful than the tool in PTLens (of the actions, I would lean toward pfkiller as doing the better job.) Have a look . . .

jp

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-processing-software/53051-two-photos...ns-advice.html

03-13-2009, 10:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jlp Quote
Lou,

This would be a difficult one given the reflection of the red drum body onto the chrome. As I posted elsewhere in this forum, here are a tutorial and PS actions to deal with PF.; I think you will find them more useful than the tool in PTLens (of the actions, I would lean toward pfkiller as doing the better job.) Have a look . . .

jp

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-processing-software/53051-two-photos...ns-advice.html
Thank you, JP. Nice little tutorial - unfortunately, I don't have PS at my disposal (yet). The concepts remain the same in LR, just don't have the granular control. One thing that does work in my favor is that the image in question has no primary blue/purple/magenta in it. Playing with these sliders is proving somewhat promising.

To your point about PTLens for sake of others reading this post, I've downloaded/installed the trial and have taken a quick gander. I love the zoom feature - that thing can go deep; however, the two sliders (also found in LR and similar programs) don't do as much for me in this situation. This said, I can play with the color edits in LR and then take a look using the zoom tool in PTLens to see where things really stand.