Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2009, 09:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
From PS Elements 5 to 7 questions

I am thinking of upgrading to the latest Elements version from my current version 5. Keep in mind I am not really proficient with version 5.

One of the reasons to do this is B&W conversion. Unless I am missing something I can't find a good conversion tool to convert photos to B&W in elements 5. It only has two options that are, 1: convert to black and white 2: adjust color. Each of those have different settings inside of those for further adjustments. It may be me but I don't really like how things turn out using these tools.
This is where one of you nice souls can chime in and give me a little tutorial in B&W conversion. I would really like to explore B&W so I would probably benefit from some type of book about this also.

Second reason is that from what I understand with Elements 7, I can upgrade to CS3 and CS4 which may save me money in the long run. If this is so then this alone is very good reason to upgrade to version 7.

I am also wondering just how much of a difference there is between v. 5 and v.7.

I almost forgot to ask. The price is right from this site which is download only. Just wondering if anyone else has done this or what you might think of doing it this way?

Link to buy PS Elements 7

Thanks a bunch,
Oren

Last edited by OrenMc; 03-15-2009 at 09:25 AM.
03-15-2009, 10:15 PM   #2
Inactive Account

You should Google this sales site before you buy.
03-16-2009, 02:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good idea paparay, thank you.
03-16-2009, 03:31 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Looks like a scammer from what research I did. Illegal software, bogus serial numbers, can't register the product, other similar responses.

03-16-2009, 03:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Dang, I sure am glad I did jump on it. Thanks calicojack
03-16-2009, 03:16 PM   #6

Hi Oren,
don't know if you are a member at Costco, but check this link out.

Costco - $49.99 After $30 OFF Adobe® Photoshop® Elements 7
03-16-2009, 04:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

It often goes on sale at Best Buy or Staples for $50 or $60. (not right at the moment though)
I'd much rather buy it from a reputable store for $10 more.

Why not download the trial version of PSE:7 and see if you like it enough to buy, and keep an eye on the prices during your 30 day trial.

03-25-2009, 09:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I just downloaded the PSE7 free trial, and was really disappointed. I find that Corel PSPx2 has a much better user interface, feature set, intuitiveness, and capability. You might try downloading the free trial and see what it does for you.
03-26-2009, 06:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Mile High, $49 is a great price and I am a member. I have until April 5 to maybe do the free trial.
Thanks khardur for the sugestion.
code4code5, I am not familiar with Coral but I have a few days to do some research.

One question still unanswered. Is Elements 7 ugradable to CS3 to 4? I thik in my first post it does look more like a statement than a question.
03-26-2009, 07:32 PM   #10

It's not directly upgradable, if that's what yer trying to get at. What Adobe will do is knock $100 off the FULL price for someone with a copy of Elements (the installer program scans your computer for what's already on it)-which still makes it $600. If you're a student/teacher of or know a student/teacher with a .edu e-mail from an accredited institution, you could grab CS4 at the price of $200 or so. I got lucky last year and Adobe ran a Black Friday special where CS4 for Elements users was 1/2 off, and I found a coupon that brought it down to $270 (I also had some leftover cashback from a lens purchase that brought my final cost down to under $200). That deal died a long time ago, though. The only other way that I'm aware of to get a legitimate inexpensive copy of CS4 is to register certain types of Wacom tablets-their registration page links to a page in the Adobe store that gets ya CS4 for $300, last time I checked.
03-27-2009, 03:48 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Grimlock, the reason I am asking is because there is some guy on graigslist that is selling CS3 and CS4 upgrades for $250. Says if you have elememts 7 this can be done. He says he has unregistred this software so it would make it legit. Maybe I ought to contact Adobe and see if this is possible. I know there are a lot of scammers on that site.

$49 Elements 7 from Costco is a great deal anyway so I will probably go this way regardless.
04-12-2009, 06:08 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Back to the basic Question

How about a comparison of PSE5 vs PSE7? When I open my PSE5 I get a pop up from Adobe to buy PSE7 at a good price. I assume this is legit. I am certainly not a master of PSE5, but can stumble my way through what I've wanted to do with the aid of Scott Kelby's book. I started digital photography (seriously) with PSE2 and upgraded to 5 when I bought my K10D. I still use it mostly for organizing my photos and occasional touch ups. I don't have any interest in true digital manipulations or creations.
Is PSE7 a big improvement or easier to use? Has anyone upgraded from 5 to 7 and can give me /us a comparison? Has Adobe lowered the upgrade price because PSE8 is on it's way?